Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Newbie overclocking

Options
  • 29-12-2002 10:56am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 144 ✭✭

I'm used to rooting around pc's but never got into oc - installed a new tulatin 1.4 from powerleap and reckon it's worth some extra speed - can I oc using just software (if so where do i get it) or do i have to make hardware changes?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,432 ✭✭✭Gerry

Tell us what motherboard you have.. You will need to increase the fsb on your board.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,521 ✭✭✭Fabritzo

I have a Gateway a intel 440bx, with a P3 600E, sry for buting in but stuff I can't turn off running in the backround from...anti-virus and personal firwall have slowed this once fine machine down :( what is the likelyhood of overclocking?

sry about my grammar :D but u catch my drift, right

• Registered Users Posts: 4,471 ✭✭✭elexes

if ur using win 98 me 95 xp use the command msconfig and turn off the programs from startup

also gateway computers are not oc able

• Closed Accounts Posts: 144 ✭✭Buzz_Irl

Gerry - I'm using a 440 BX-3 (built for Dell) but have recently replaced the 600 chip with the tulatin celeron 1400. do i change fsb using software or is it ajumper setting on the board itself?
    I've flashed the bios to the most recent A11

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,432 ✭✭✭Gerry

Its highly unlikely you will be able to get the fsb over 100. The bx boards made by intel have settings for 100 fsb max. If you can locate the clock generator on your board, you might be able to raise the fsb with software like softfsb ( www.h-oda.com ) There are other programs like this as well.

Can I put the same 1400 cpu on mine with ease? how quick can I go?

Pwerleap returned my email...it's $160

http://207.68.164.250/cgi-bin/linkrd?_lang=EN&lah=c5e52e4c37dcc5929dca3f23c7a9edad&lat=1041707196&hm___action=http%3a%2f%2fwww%2epowerleap%2ecom%2fProducts%2fiP3T%2ehtm
    I assume that's without postage from America, i think i'll ask around Dublin first, then go and buy it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 144 ✭✭Buzz_Irl

Yeah Fabritzo that was the cost - but it points you to a uk site and you pay in sterling.

It literally took 5 mins to take out the old and put in the new.

I looked around online/dublin and the options were limited - plus no other solution guaranteed to work with my machine - they have an excellent online database of what machines it will work with and user experiences

You might let me kno if you get a better solution and then I can kick myself around the room

Buzz

Advertisement