Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

small database for website

Options
  • 29-12-2002 2:23pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 421 ✭✭

i run a little small website for an irc channel im on. at the moment there is 70 or so members and i am looking for a better way to maintain the site.

is there any simple method/programme for entering in the details in like a database programme and then exporting them into html?. so for example the nicks mentioned in the profiles would be all linked..

something like this finnish one: http://irc-galleria.net/ but obviousily much smaller in scale.

i dont have much website experience beyond html so any *easy* suggestions would be appreciated.

dw

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,276 ✭✭✭damnyanks

You could use XML to read it from a text file based db.

Otherwise you will need a scripting language and use database software such as Access which is easy to set up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 421 ✭✭drrnwbb

is there any good website/resources that would help me out in getting to grips with things like this?

dw

• Closed Accounts Posts: 119 ✭✭retneil

1 comment dbforums.com.. has all the DB info you could need... Alternatively check out idg.net and they should have tutorials somehwhere on there network...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,777 ✭✭✭✭The Corinthian

Originally posted by damnyanks
    You could use XML to read it from a text file based db.

Otherwise you will need a scripting language and use database software such as Access which is easy to set up.
    You would still need to parse the XML using a scripting language. Also XML is not the best where it comes to storing data that would have to be searchable (although it's arguably faster than Access).

Depends on your existing server setup *nix or Win32, although in the latter case I'd still favour MySQL over Access (but also SQL Server over MySQL if you have the licence).

• Registered Users Posts: 4,276 ✭✭✭damnyanks

But if the site is small Access would be a better decision assuming you have little knowledge with db's.

GUI's really are handy like :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 19,777 ✭✭✭✭The Corinthian

Originally posted by damnyanks
    But if the site is small Access would be a better decision assuming you have little knowledge with db's.
    No, I've actually found even text files are even faster than Access on small ASP driven sites.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 421 ✭✭drrnwbb

thanks for yer replies, but most (erm.. all) of it went over my head. i'll keep looking..

dw

Advertisement