Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Provos set thugs on out-of-control members in south

Options
  • 29-12-2002 4:15pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 14,483 ✭✭✭✭

This post has been deleted.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32 eugene

"I know it's true, oh so true, 'cause I saw it on TV."

John Fogerty

Unsavoury and hypocritical.
    It's never been a secret that the IRA financed operations by bank robbing.
    It's also understandable to their mind, but not mine that they should fund themselves in that way. BUT in respect of:
    But the Provisionals are anxious to ensure a continuous flow of funds to help finance their various activities and will stop at nothing to make gangsterism pay.
    what are these activities,surely, the Gardaí will attempt to convict bank robbers in the Republic from now on, they are not covered by the GFA.
    Likewise, in NI, surely lawbreaking is not condoned, it's not protected by the GFA.
    Are the PSNI for instance actively persuing those thugs that are Kneecapping ? I doubt it , as they couldn't be bothered, at least I don't see any headline in the Sunday independent investigating the lack of sucess by the PSNI in putting, those responsible for thuggery behing bars.
    In any civilised society, other than Northern Ireland,the papers would be calling for the heads of the security forces that weren't getting to the bottom of such regular crimes of A.B.H.
    They would be investigating and highlighting, the reasons why.
    But they are not, when they should.
    As again, if the police force is not seen to act, it breeds support for vigilantism and alternative justice.

It's a whole can of worms, this problem , really and the only solution to my mind is time and constant defence of the GFA, and maybe, after 30 years of that some bridge building(with out the bombing and the shootings) will have occurred.
    mm

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Originally posted by eugene

John Fogerty

Nice to know the fellow travellers are still amoung us!

Dave (not that I need tell you this I suspect) only the terminally
    naive belive the IRA have stopped, or will stop thier illegal money-grabbing and general thuggery on either side of the border. They are, first and foremost a criminal organisation, politics is secondary.

Mike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,483 ✭✭✭✭daveirl

Originally posted by mike65
    Nice to know the fellow travellers are still amoung us!

Dave (not that I need tell you this I suspect) only the terminally
    naive belive the IRA have stopped, or will stop thier illegal money-grabbing and general thuggery on either side of the border. They are, first and foremost a criminal organisation, politics is secondary.

Mike.
    Mike, in the interests of clarity, and in your own good time, would you be able to post details of where, IRA members use the proceeds of bank robberies etc for personal profit, which is the use most criminals put their ill gotten gains.
    If they use the funds to buy weapons, to further what they consider a political cause(wrong and all as their methods are), surely that means that their first priority is actually their political aims.
    I'd be interested in documented evidence, it must be there somewhere . This is something worth expanding on.
    mm

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

Originally posted by eugene

John Fogerty

Responding, yet oddly silent when it comes to arguing for them all of a sudden? It seems you can't deny they are involved in some less then savoury passtimes..

I'd love you to deny our friends are involved in criminal activities.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 691 ✭✭✭Ajnag

involvement in the drugs trade.

Ah jimmy guerin, the guy who thinks the road to hell is paved with cannabis-objective guy who would never lie for his own ends right ? Hes not biased by the murder of his sister is he?

Oh and in the wonderful paper that has such a nice view on the disabled.

Hmm all this sabre rattling about the provo's and not an eye blinked about Sectarian unionist activitys in the north.wow what a balenced concern.

Originally posted by Man
    Mike, in the interests of clarity, and in your own good time, would you be able to post details of where, IRA members use the proceeds of bank robberies etc for personal profit, which is the use most criminals put their ill gotten gains.
    If they use the funds to buy weapons, to further what they consider a political cause(wrong and all as their methods are), surely that means that their first priority is actually their political aims.
    I'd be interested in documented evidence, it must be there somewhere . This is something worth expanding on.
    mm

If I shared that knowledge I'd have to kill you all...!

As you can well imagine I obvioulsy don't have first hand "gen"
    as I'm not a provo but lets just say I have no reason to belive the IRA are not in it for the money, which is not to say all members of said terror group are lording it up in Mercs and perks, but if you really belive that indivduals in the IRA (and other such groups) are not dipping thier fingers into the funds then so be it.

I wonder where various senior Provos got the money to build nice houses in Donegal.

Mike.

Originally posted by daveirl
    I'm not too pushed what they do in the North. It's not my problem. The IRA operate in my country. That is a concern.

How convienient, Despite the fact that they have thier fingers in the Irish drug trade?

Oh and of course they would never think of bombing the south again if things werent going their way. :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

http://www.ulisnet.com/a_104.htm

Interesting overview of Provo fundraising down the years.

Mike.

Originally posted by mike65
    If I shared that knowledge I'd have to kill you all...!

As you can well imagine I obvioulsy don't have first hand "gen"
    as I'm not a provo but lets just say I have no reason to belive the IRA are not in it for the money, which is not to say all members of said terror group are lording it up in Mercs and perks, but if you really belive that indivduals in the IRA (and other such groups) are not dipping thier fingers into the funds then so be it.

I wonder where various senior Provos got the money to build nice houses in Donegal.

Mike.
    :D:D regarding the first line!
    I do think that if thats the case, it's a job for the Sunday world and Indo to expose, it's what the former is good at.
    then it's up to the CAB to tak matters further if they have evidence of this.
    mm

• Closed Accounts Posts: 93 ✭✭rien_du_tout

OT:

I'm writing this here due to ignorance of the proper methods on these boards. sorry:(

Is there any reason that the 2 very similar threads with very similar articles written by the same person in the same paper shouldnt be joined as 1? It seems silly to have the 2 of them when if the journalist had just compiled all the information in 1 article we could have had one thread!

seán

What's your point anyway? We should let the IRA carry on like criminals because loyalists do it aswell
    No, Of course not, thats your conjecture. :rolleyes:

All I would like to see is a little more unbiased reporting, as opposed to hopping on top of every story like a desperate drunk.Too much to ask?.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32 eugene

Responding, yet oddly silent when it comes to arguing for them all of a sudden? It seems you can't deny they are involved in some less then savoury passtimes..

Nothing to do with denials od admission. Personally, I don't particularly care what they do here in the North. We are in a state where there is no acceptable policing (to many anyhow). It will be interesting to see what happens down the road mind, when SF accept a new force. I'm just fed up arguing when all it does is exhaust everyone involved as there can be no winners in opposing political beliefs. It is the Festive Season after all. See y'all in Dublin on New Year's Day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭Mercury_Tilt

Advertisement