Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What should really have been on Phantom Volume 1!

Options
  • 29-12-2002 8:14pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 153 ✭✭

I realise I'm a little late with this but it just occurred to me today...

I just wanted to say that the track list of Phantom Volume 1 is really good and they're a great collection of songs that Phantom plays - but they don't represent the Phantom sound for me...

For me the Phantom sound is made up of all those songs that you hear late at night when no djs are on - and you don't know what they are. There are a few songs like this and none of my friends know them but some of them recognise them when I hum a few bars.

During the day when the djs are on they always tell you what the songs are and I've been introduced to so much good music this way. But they are still just songs and I associate them with the bands themselves as much as Phantom - take Stoat and the Crayonz for example - when I hear one of their songs and I don't know who it is then that is part of the Phantom sound - it's the spaces between the songs you know. But once I find out that it is Stoat or the Crayonz then the song loses that sole identification with Phantom and becomes a song that they play rather than representing the 'Phantom Sound' in my head.

So the compilation should have been made up of songs that you know to here but don't know who they're by and only get played late at night...

I'm being quite wordy over this and I realise I'm not being very clear and nor am I entirely serious but I think that it's a nice concept, no?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 50 ✭✭insomniac

I agree with you completlely Morn. How about for Phantom Volume 2, to achieve the "Phantom Sound", don't include a track listing? I know this suggestion will probably get shot down by everyone. I'm only suggesting it because I never look at the listings. The only song names I know are the ones which the Phantom dj's tell us.

Just a suggestion.

Toodles!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 139 ✭✭back to front

I Think Morn has a point. Bordering the point I would like to make.

Phantom listeners only listen to phantom for the obescure unknown tracks that pop up once and a while aswell as the greats. although DJ's are truly 'know it all s' when it comes to indie music. We are not. And thats what gives phantom its X-factor. The choice of songs each DJ makes varies from Alisons weird 80's garage bands to Jack Hylands 'silver horse, six string on my back' rock tunes, with both Dj's always definitley throwing in a healthy 10% of tunes we dont know, that they are familier with, because it's in their favorite genre.

One can't frequent these boards without noticing the constant influx of 'newbies' posting: 'who plays this tune?' or 'whats that song?'. Is this not what makes phantom legend in these parts. The sheer ammount of music we've never been exposed to, good or not to your taste.

That's what was seriously missing from the Phantom compilation. What were they thinking with all the EMI bands. They seemed to think having such well known artists would draw attention to the album. I dont think it was necessary. Do they think the listeners would have bought any less records had their been only up and coming Irish and international artists on the album? There surely would have been more sales and a greater response to the record. Radio stations, magazines and papers would not have dissed the album so much. It would have been a case of; these artists were brought to us on phantom, we heard them first on phantom, I spent a week trying to find out who that song was by on phantom.

All those established, huge artists on the record weighed it down. It had no wings (not to sound like a hippy). Next compilation, if there is one, should'nt be called Vol2 but simply 'Phantom songs', and be chock full of the songs we associate with Phantom FM because thats where we heard them first.
    Then I'll be proud to carry the album with me whenever I'm outside of Dublin, play it to everyone I know and say "listen to what your missing".

oh yea..P.S to Morn...nice one Ger..he he

• Closed Accounts Posts: 85 ✭✭dera

and it could just have two brackets on the cover too hehe

:o)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 85 ✭✭dera

i should really learn how to use these faces.. the precise emotion I meant to express was, of course:
    :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,105 ✭✭✭Tyrrial

well i definitly agree that if there is indeed another compilation that it should be lesser known artists. for example, why the hell werent brando on phantom volume 1? theyre one of the most popular bands played on phantom. wheras i dont think ive ever heard fun lovin criminals on this station.
    i think the next cd should be more faithful to the lesser known artists such as brando, seprico etc who actually define the phantom sound

• Advertisement
Advertisement