Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Winamp 3 - Opinions?

Options
  • 29-12-2002 10:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,616 ✭✭✭

I just D/Led Winamp3 and was wondering if y'all have any opinions on it. Winamp has always been handy for parties IMO but any previous versions I had needed a plugin to fade between tracks and I often found when I went back to the laptop that even though the music was still playing the computer had locked up and I couldn't switch between playlists.
    As Winamp has been around for quite a while I reckoned the lock ups were due to buggy plug ins. The new one has built in crossfading so hopefully will be more stable. Has anyone been using it long enough to encounter problems with it?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭PiE

Well, I've been using v3 for a few months now. I don't really use the crossfading myself, as I actually like to hear the end of songs ;)

But overall it's very stable, bit of a resource hogger though.

Get the MMD3 skin. It's amazing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

whenever i watch downloaded episodes of Family Guy with Winamp 3 it plays them upside down :confused: anyone have any ideas why it does this :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,277 ✭✭✭DiscoStu

whenever i watch downloaded episodes of Family Guy with Winamp 3 it plays them upside down anyone have any ideas why it does this

because it is incredibly buggy and the inital release was forced out due to pressure from aol. once the whole package works as it should it will wipe the floor with the competition. but as it stands it a buggy, bulky and unfriendly player; the antithesis of winamp 2.x.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,483 ✭✭✭✭daveirl

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,148 ✭✭✭_sheep

Word of warning if your installing winamp3, dont let it take over all of your video files, this is just so annoying to have to change back.

I know of at least 3 lads that were caught out by winamp taking over all there videos.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,483 ✭✭✭✭daveirl

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

Originally posted by megasheep
    Word of warning if your installing winamp3, dont let it take over all of your video files, this is just so annoying to have to change back.

this has happened to me. how do i change it back?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,148 ✭✭✭_sheep

this has happened to me. how do i change it back?

go into the program you want to take the file types back, go into options and search for 'assosicate with file type' or whatever, worse comes to worse, go into control panel -> folder options -> file types... then fix all your bu bu's :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭PiE

if you have Win2k or XP, right click-> properties one of the files, eg. "avi". You'll see it says "Open with: Winamp" and theres a button beside it: "Change", click that and choose the program you wanna use i.e. "DivX Playa".

Win98 and older don't make it that easy, do what he^ said :]

• Registered Users Posts: 2,621 ✭✭✭Panda

its slow, buggy, annoying.

i think ill re-install a previous version.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,264 ✭✭✭RicardoSmith

I agree v3 is worse than v2. They don't seem to have added any decent new features and the ones that were their seem a lot buggier than they were. Its also a lot slower than v2. Stick to v2 its all you need. Though I have been using MusicMatch Jukebox of late which is also very buggy but at least it has a few more features. Hate the interface though.

• Registered Users Posts: 822 ✭✭✭Mutz

We likes it Precious!

No complaints at all really. Only using it for about 4 months so far and nothing bad has happened yet (touch wood).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,764 ✭✭✭Valentia

The best party prog by a mile is Mixmeister 3. Visit www.MixMeister.com and get a free demo.

Very configurable and the sound quality is way better than winamp.

I have run it thru 300w sound system in my local with all my mp3 stuff. Deadly!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,657 ✭✭✭OSiriS

I found it very unstable and went back to the previous version.

Originally posted by Valentia
    The best party prog by a mile is Mixmeister 3. Visit www.MixMeister.com and get a free demo.

Very configurable and the sound quality is way better than winamp.

I have run it thru 300w sound system in my local with all my mp3 stuff. Deadly!

I downloaded that and checked it out as I'm not a huge fan of Winamp3 or Music Match JB. Its seems to be mainly aimed at doing mixing etc. The playlists and song selection is limited. Also theres not many other features.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,764 ✭✭✭Valentia

you can arrange the playlists anyway you like, edit transitions, import songs in a sec. It's a very versatile programme. You can even burn your mix to a music cd and build up a great party collection that's totally transportable to play in a friends cd etc etc.

It's worth spending a bit of time messing with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,967 ✭✭✭Dun

Winamp 3 = very bugalicious. Plus it is a resource hog. I'm sticking with version two for the foreseeable future.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,488 ✭✭✭Goodshape

I had winamp2 just the way I like it (components etc.), but I'm a sucker for the new and shiny... plus the MMD3 skin, as PiE said, is amazing.

I just wish they would hurry up and release some more components (in particular I had an 'auto-resume' on WA2, started the music from within five seconds of where you left it... fluking great feature IMO).

...pressure from AOL Stu?, didn't know they had anything to do with it.

Still the best and least-hassle mp3 player around IMO.

[edit]
    also... the visualisations in WA3 seem stuck on random... you choose one and within half a minute or so it switches... a pain in the arse as most of them a pretty cr@p.
    [/edit]

It crashes too much for me. The skins look great but thats no good if it crashes so much.

• Registered Users Posts: 897 ✭✭✭Greenbean

The only addition to winamp3 that seems worth while is the media library. For me new skins only mean "non-standard-interfaces", ie, "where the **** is the play button in this skin??". Too buggy and bloatware, I might revisit if they get the media library sorted and get it as solid as winamp2 ... most likely never.

• Advertisement
Advertisement