Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Problem playing DivX lately

• 30-12-2002 7:23am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,817 ✭✭✭✭

I've installed Nimo Codec Pack5 Build 8, manually installed the DivX3.11alpha, 4.12bundle and just popped in 5.02 bundle now.
    i've installed WMP7 aswell.
    I get error messages when trying to play any form of Divx media, whether using BSPlayer 0.8 build 490, Media Player7 or even just highlighting the files in windows explorer. They all end in crashing (explorer.exe especially).
    I don't know what's causing this as i never had a problem before, bu I got this from BSPlayer's error dialogue:

BSPlayer v0.85.490, Unhandled exception at EIP: 1D1C4E86
    Application will be terminated.
    Please report this info to the author with description what were you doing.
    Access violation at address 1D1C4E86 in module 'MMSwitch.ax'. Read of address 00000000
    EAccessViolation
    , 0x004B294B, 0x004B2BAD, 0x004520AF, 0x0044971A, 0x77E11D0A, 0x77E11BC8, 0x77E172B4, 0x004C38DB, 0x77E9CA90

Bytes at EIP: 8B 08 FF 51 10 85 C0 7D 11 EB 5D 33 C0 8D 7D F0 AB AB

Tis bloody annoying as i can't watch anything at the moment.

Any ideas?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

Quick suggestion which may or may not be of any help (though it's a nnatural place to start)

Find and rename/move this MMSwitch.ax file, then reinstall all those nice codecs and see if it makes any difference.

(though it's more likely to be a problem with a file that accesses the codec I suppose)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,817 ✭✭✭✭po0k

Yeha, i was thinking about that, but MMSwitch.ax is an activeX yoke isn't it?
    I was considering installing Dx8.1a again or else getting WMP7.1.
    I've also got a sneaking suspicion that SP3 is having something to do with this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

Bah, mixing me files up again, you're right (well, at least closer than i was) - it's a DirectShow filter - a file for Morgan Stream Switcher in particular (for some reason I installed it myself about two weeks ago). Sometimes causes problems with playing AVI files, which doesn't explain why BSPlayer will insist on installing it (it's used purely for switching between languages in AVI's that contain more than one) - a BivX file in other words.

Try running "regsvr32 /u mmswitch.ax" - you'll probably need to reboot. And do it in a DOS window in the particular directory it's in - I've two of them in c:\winnt\system32 and c:\program files\morgan\mmswitch. Alternatively you could unregister it through BS player's settings

You could always try upgrading your version to 0.97 from the website above but if like me you haven't had a use for the feature so far, unregister it and dump it - you always know where to go back to get it again.

Should do the trick (as I cross my toes:))

Sound, I'll give that a shot so.

tis working now, thank god :)

Thanks sceptre.

Is there a way in win2k to get programs to list their switches/commandline parameters like "<command> --help" in linux?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,719 ✭✭✭Ruaidhri

command /? usually does the trick

yeah, i know that works for general apps eg. ping, netstat etc.
    but what about stuff like half-life, 3rd party apps etc.?
    I assume it relies on the programmer putting in a usage statement in the program?

Tis something that should be done more, would be easier to make more use of apps capabilities then....

Advertisement