Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

NTL caBLe

Options
  • 30-12-2002 10:09am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,322 ✭✭✭

I just got off the phone from NTL and I was asking him about the cable internet service,
    And he said that the 128k broadband service will be available in most of dublin in the next 6 weeks (including dublin 15 blanchardstown, )
    Any1 else heard about this or know if theres any truth to it?!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,534 ✭✭✭MDR

Downstream is delivered over the cable upstream over the phoneline ...

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Originally posted by MDR
    Downstream is delivered over the cable upstream over the phoneline ...

If it works and is remotely cheap (<=€30) I'll be getting it.

Is phoneline rental to eircom more or less expensive if you have all outgoing calls blocked? (Except for 1800 nos.)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 96 ✭✭highlight

More. The rental is the same but you pay for OSB (Outgoing service barred)

Feck that. "Just give me the line, eircom, I don't want the equipment.......". But they'll still charge me equipment rental :rolleyes:

No mention of it on the NTL site, but that's nothing surprising. I assume, it'll be comparable to their 128 offering - €25 a month without digital tv, €20 with. Not too shabby. Modem rental @ €5 is a bit of a pain, and €184 to buy it flat out is a bit steep though.

Frankly, it's a pretty poor offering when compared to our British counterparts, but it's good for our crap telecoms. For the cost of ISDN rental + < 2 hours on-peak online time from eircom, you get always-on 128 from NTL. At the very leats it'll prove there's demand for flat rate narrowband, and lose eircom some internet business.

Has anyone got a definite confirmation on this?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,872 ✭✭✭segadreamcast

Wait - last I read NTL were pulling out of telecoms,now this? What the hell?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,569 ✭✭✭maxheadroom

NTL sales told me something along the same lines at the beginning of november : http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?s=&threadid=69256

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

NTL sales told me something along the same lines at the beginning of november

NTL sales tell somebody something or other along the same lines every month. Most of the sales staff are either bare faced liars or utter morons. They're undesirables, hunt them down and export them to Nigeria where they'll be appreciated.
    Dear Former NTL Customer,

I am the second cousin of the brother-in-law thrice-removed of deposed UNITED NATIONS HIGH COMMISSIONER FOR HUMAN RIGHTS MARY ROBINSON, and I am seeking your IMMEDIATE AND URGENT HELP. As the deposed UNITED NATIONS HIGH COMMISSIONER FOR HUMAN RIGHTS, Mary Robinson has been able to set aside FOURTEEN MILLION BLANKETS AND FOOD PARCELS for distribution to starving Africans and the like, since the Good Ole US of A thought she was a bit of a liberal wuss, and wouldn't let her do her job. We're kinda running out of room here at UN headquarters, what with the imaginary "War on Terrorism" and everything, so if you can find somewhere to store these FOURTEEN MILLION BLANKETS AND FOOD PARCELS - so they can rot away instead of being distributed to, you know, people who need them - we'll give you THREE. Of each. All for yourself. Wow, eh!

Thanks,
    A Former NTL Sales Rep
    (Sorry Dustaz.)

adam

• Subscribers Posts: 3,704 ✭✭✭TCP/IP

I was just off the phone with NTheLL and there really looks like something is up he said major announcement in the next two months for the whole of Dublin although he did say the majority will only be able to get the 128kb access.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,399 ✭✭✭ando

Originally posted by TCP/IP
    I was just off the phone with NTheLL and there really looks like something is up he said major announcement in the next two months

how many major annoucements has there been now from ntl ? Their wofflers. I'll believe it when I see it

• Registered Users Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭PiE

Yea the announcement will probably be "NTL Cable Internet Access is STILL available in selected parts of Tallaght!"

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,143 ✭✭✭spongebob

we'll wait for him to tell us whats up, if anything. I doubt it somehow.

In the meantime i would recommend this thread be binned as it is yet another load of vapour re: NTL

M

• Registered Users Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

Lads if your talking to the phone monkeys in NTL then forget what they told you.

There was a chap (unfortunately I have forgotten his name) that I talked to earlier this year and he is clued into what they are doing, afaik Skeptic met with him. Maybe Mike can give him a bell and politely ask him to confirm or deny that there will be a change in their current policy in the next couple of months. I'll search for his email address and fire him off a mail to check as well (if I find it).

Again the average phone monkey in NTL will tell what they think will get you off the phone quickly. (200 Calls in the queue!!!).

Gandalf.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 234 ✭✭MagicBusDriver

I am not sure about, I reckon there might be something to it. Having said that don't hang around waiting for a product launch.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,143 ✭✭✭spongebob

it depends on FRIACO (which is months away) for its upstream leg.

M

• Registered Users Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Dustaz

This is just that same rumour all over again for gods sake.

If its announced, well and good. Untill then, dont hold your breath and DONT make other topics asking is it available in your area.

The only reason ill leave this thread open is adams post has me laughing my head off and im in a good mood now :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,163 ✭✭✭✭Boston

I heard of this type of service before, so its probably technically viable in dublin, probably galway too. Its most likely workes off those digital boxes, rahter then an actual cable modem.I think i remember reading that they where shiped with modem in them that would do 128k, or that might have been sky digital.

Anyway what ever it is, if it uses the phone line for upstream your going to be charged per minute for the pleasure. Don't expect anything from this untill theres full flat rate here, at which point isdn will probably be a better option.

Anyway this is all bolox. NTL dont even offer a CPS service any more, they are dead in the water.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭pete

Originally posted by Dustaz
    This is just that same rumour all over again for gods sake.

Nahh it's not - the old rumour was that the cable service would be expanded, but then nothing happened.

This one is something else altogether that nothing will happen on. Possibly.

• Registered Users Posts: 586 ✭✭✭Is1ldur

I was on to them yesterday (before I saw this thread), and was told that Cable Internet Access was being rolled out to my area, Drimnagh, as well in first quarter 2003. The lady also stated that there would be much publicity over the coming months.
    I suppose she could have been lying, though.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,540 ✭✭✭JTMan

NTL's MD has said that a 'broadband package' is slated for early to mid 2003 launch.
    I think i remember reading that they where shiped with modem in them that would do 128k, or that might have been sky digital.

The NTL digital box has a cable modem in it.

Can this 128k offer be done any way except via pay per minute access ?

• Registered Users Posts: 857 ✭✭✭kamobe

128 down and your dial-up modem up? Excuse me, but is this not complete pants? You have your per minute charges, AND you'll have to pay NTL €20-€30 a month for the privilege of 128k down. Who would this service be aimed at? And does it even fall under one of the many definitions of broadband?

• Advertisement

Originally posted by Fungus
    NTL's MD has said that a 'broadband package' is slated for early to mid 2003 launch.

The NTL digital box has a cable modem in it.

Can this 128k offer be done any way except via pay per minute access ?

Yes, if there was a friaco service, thats why i doubt we will see this before friaco

kamobe i think that would fall under the "Is ISDN broadband" debate. If it is then this would be too, but if you don't subscribe to the idea that anything that is "always on" is broadband, then no.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,006 ✭✭✭theciscokid

why would anybody want this service, i mean really the hassle,

is any company in ireland capable of affordable , always on , no cap bull**** broadband internet access?

p.s. with coverage :p

They prolly know the product is a bunch of crap,
    but I haveheard that COMREG is leaning on them to
    rollout broadband services and this is their sorry excuse
    for a response....

Bet they regret the E635million now :eek:

so this thing will only work if flat rate comes out. Well if true flat rate comes out, 128k isdn flat rate will more than likely be available iswell, so whats the point of going to the extra hassle of getting this?

Originally posted by theciscokid
    is any company in ireland capable of affordable , always on , no cap bull**** broadband internet access?

Yes. Eircom or to a lesser extent, EsatBT. They are very much capable of it, but with the asset-sweating, money-pinching, braindead suits at the helm, it's gonna be tough :mad:

me thinks the wireless ISPs will shake things up a little

Originally posted by MDR
    me thinks the wireless ISPs will shake things up a little

in south dublin :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,529 ✭✭✭zynaps

In selected parts of south Dublin :P

zynaps

Originally posted by ando
    in south dublin :rolleyes:

Im in north dublin and i can get leap broadband.

• Advertisement

You wouldn't exactly call it affordable would you ?

Advertisement