Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I'm not getting eircom DSL

Options
  • 30-12-2002 1:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭

Well I was.

The excessive monthly price and initial start up costs I didn't have a problem with (despite them being overly excessive). However I just recieved the T&A.

1. I'm locked in for 12 months. So I can't switch to a better service if it comes along.

2. If I do quit for whatever reason I have to cough up the maximum of 6 months rental.

3. They can cancel it with one months notice without any penalty to themselves.

There are other bits in the terms which basically say that if the service doesn't work, tough **** and if you ring us outside 9-5 we will bill you for it, as well as charge you if they have to fix anything at thier end. They can't be held liable for anything (is that even possible?)

After the crap my brother had to put up with getting a mobile phone from Eircom I am very wary about being locked into any long term contract with Eircom.

So I'm not getting it.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,471 ✭✭✭elexes

have you looked into esat yet ? ive had a quick look at it and there sending me all the info for the 1 meg option cant be as bad . could it ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 96 ✭✭highlight

No wonder your brother had problems getting a mobile phone from Eircom - they're a fixed line company

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Originally posted by highlight
    No wonder your brother had problems getting a mobile phone from Eircom - they're a fixed line company

They still (at least two months ago they did) sell mobiles in their stores. Before they sold eircell, eircom stores also sold prepaid and postpay mobiles.

:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 96 ✭✭highlight

They're an agent for Vodafone - similar to every other agent. Anyway all the eircom stores are due to be closed shortly

• Registered Users Posts: 2,997 ✭✭✭jaggeh

actually he got that wrong

i wasnt trying to get a mobile from eircom

i was trying to cancel my Esat no limits subscription

it literally took 18 months for them to cop on i hadnt used the service and had actually cancelled

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

I rang to cancel using the number I was given on the letter.

A guy answers, sound enough tells me that isn't the right number and gives me 1800 503 303 as the correct one.

I ring that number and get a woman who tells me I have the wrong number and she will put me through to the right person.

I got put through to an automated system that was 1 for sales or 2 for report a fault.

I click sales and get some obnoxious cow (sorry) that tells me I have rang the wrong number and I should ring the 503 303. I tell her they put me through there. She takes my phone number then slams the phone on me.

Somewhat pissed off at this stage I ring the 503 again and get a guy (who's name I did get), he tells me I have rang the wrong number. I explain to him everything I have done up to that point and that everyone is telling me to ring that number and he then tells me that no one is there to cancel it and they may be in next monday.

FFS.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

I click sales and get some obnoxious cow

Sure ringing Eircom'd be no fun if you didn't get at least one Biddy on your travels. It really gets you in the mood for the outpourings of abuse and profanity. And not an ounce of guilt involved!

adam

• Registered Users Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

I'm signing up for Esat's res DSL, and the contract doesn't mention anything about 1 year :-D
    It does say you have to give termination notice of one month (and same for them giving you notice of termination)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 428 ✭✭Son of Blam

Originally posted by Hobbes

There are other bits in the terms which basically say that if the service doesn't work, tough **** and if you ring us outside 9-5 we will bill you for it, as well as charge you if they have to fix anything at thier end.

Where exactly does it say this in your terms and conditions? The Eircom ADSL technical support number I got is 1800 460 260 which is a freephone number. What number did you get?

Originally posted by Son of Blam
    Where exactly does it say this in your terms and conditions? The Eircom ADSL technical support number I got is 1800 460 260 which is a freephone number. What number did you get?

I'll type up the terms and conditions later, it's on the second and last page. That number you quoted was the first number I tried and I was given the other number as I couldn't cancel there.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 741 ✭✭✭longword

Here are a few of the more relevant quotes...
    1.1. In this Agreement:
    [...]
    "Rental" means the recurring charge payable by the Customer to eircom in respect of the Facility.
    [...]
    "Initial Period" means twelve calendar months from the RFS date
    [...]
    "Ready for Service date" (otherwise "RFS date") means the date on which eircom establishes the Facility for the Customer.

3. Commencement and Duration of Agreement
    This Agreement shall commence on the Ready for Service date and shall be for a minimum period of twelve calendar months from this date (RFS date). Provided that this Agreement has not been terminated in accordance with its terms or in accordance with the Regulations, this Agreement shall thereafter automatically renew for successive twelve-month periods. For the purposes of this clause 3, a twelve-month period shall be calculated from the anniversary of the RFS date.

6. Termination
    6.1 This Agreement may be suspended or terminated by eircom on written notice to the Customer for breach of its terms or, otherwise in accordance with the Regulations.

6.2 Subject to the provisions of clause 6.3, this Agreement may be terminated by either party on giving one month's written notice to the other.

6.3 If the Customer terminates the Facility in whole or in part during the Initial Period, eircom may, without prejudice to its right to treat the termination as a breach or repudiation of this Agreement, agree to accept such termination provided notice of such termination is addressed to eircom and the Customer agrees to pay to eircom such sum as represents the remaining Rental due to eircom for the balance of the Initial Period up to a maximum of 6 months Rental.

[...]

9.2 If the Customer requests maintenance outside specified normal working hours (i.e. 8.30 - 5.30 Monday to Friday excluding Public Holidays), in the event of such maintenance being provided, costs may not be covered by the Rental and may be billed separately.

It's about what you'd expect really.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,856 ✭✭✭v10

Originally posted by highlight
    Anyway all the eircom stores are due to be closed shortly

Not True. The Eircom Stores have been bought out by Sigma Telecom AFAIK.

V10 ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

Originally quoted by longword
    Provided that this Agreement has not been terminated in accordance with its terms or in accordance with the Regulations, this Agreement shall thereafter automatically renew for successive twelve-month periods.

Oh, now that I don't like at all. It's always done on a 12 month renewal rather than "OK you've fulfilled your initial 12 months, you can now cancel giving a shorter period of notice"?

• Registered Users Posts: 244 ✭✭captainpat

I have i-Stream Solo, and apart from the cost, I have no problems with the reality of the service. As with many services, if you read the worst case of a T&C listing, you will be horrified at what could possibly happen. But the reality is usually different. While I continue to abhor Eircom's delays and overcharging, it's only fair to keep the picture clear on what they do deliver.

1. In fact, you can cancel at no penalty after 6 months. I was about to do thgis when I got a reprieve. You can just phone them 3 days before the expiry of your final month's rental, and as long as you have your account number they will cancel with no further charges.

2. The Support number is Freephone 1800 460 260. The people there are very good and really care if you have a real problem. I was even "allowed" to try non-Eircom software to try to fix my problem, which turned out to be my motherboard, not their service.

3. The extra charges outside normal hours apply to your Telephone Line, and already apply in your existing agreement.

4. Even the infamous Cap is not being applied, although don't rely on that.

So, unless you can get broadband elsewhere, (I wish I could) don't cut off your nose to spite your face. The service is reliable and I have just run an independent true speed test which gives 457Kbps (incl overhead). This is available at adslguide.org.uk

Good luck!;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 741 ✭✭✭longword

Originally posted by sceptre
    Oh, now that I don't like at all. It's always done on a 12 month renewal rather than "OK you've fulfilled your initial 12 months, you can now cancel giving a shorter period of notice"?
    Subsequent 12 month periods don't count as the Initial Period so you won't have to shell out for up to 6 months Rental as per section 6.3, but you're still covered by the other provisions of the Terms and Conditions including 1 months notice for termination of the service.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Dustaz

Originally posted by captainpat

2. The Support number is Freephone 1800 460 260. The people there are very good and really care if you have a real problem. I was even "allowed" to try non-Eircom software to try to fix my problem, which turned out to be my motherboard, not their service.

Credit where credit is due. Every experience i have had with the eircom dsl support people has been brilliant. They know what they are talking about and are not only polite but actually very friendly. Every problem i have had with the service has been resolved fairly quickly and painlessly.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

Originally posted by longword
    Subsequent 12 month periods don't count as the Initial Period so you won't have to shell out for up to 6 months Rental as per section 6.3, but you're still covered by the other provisions of the Terms and Conditions including 1 months notice for termination of the service.
    Ah, well that's quite reasonable then

Originally posted by captainpat
    don't cut off your nose to spite your face.

I must be the only one who takes T&C's seriously. "Oh but they wouldn't do that", well if that's the case why is it in the terms and conditions?

I don't agree to being locked into it for a year and the chance of paying up to €1200 just to cancel the service is I can either no longer afford it or want to move to a better/cheaper service.
    3. The extra charges outside normal hours apply to your Telephone Line, and already apply in your existing agreement.

No they don't. My reading of the T&C is that any faults that occur I can be billed for, for them to fix it. So they can charge me not to offer a service.

I'm sure this isn't the case for most people, but I don't feel like signing something that basically could be used to bill me that way at a later date.

... As I mentioned above the first number I rang was Support and they were quite friendly on phone (actually everyone was except for that one person).

• Registered Users Posts: 3,712 ✭✭✭Praetorian

Originally posted by v10
    Not True. The Eircom Stores have been bought out by Sigma Telecom AFAIK.

V10 ;)

Thats true. Funnily enough, Sigma are even more difficult to deal with than Eircom.

Luckily I work for them (indirectly), rather than them working for me

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,143 ✭✭✭spongebob

They had a load of yellow caddy vans on the road about 3 years ago ISTR .... before CPS came in.

Sigma won't last long once they end up with a fistful of Biddies along with the Communications Workers Union demanding recognition for 'dere memburs from de managementt'

Did anybody notice how a company founded in 1998 , 5 years ago if we are charitable to the maximum possible extent, then managed to clock up 15 Years of Experience in that time ?????? Its a miracle I tell ya.

I suppose the Biddies will take them over the ton :D

M

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,726 ✭✭✭✭DMC

Sorry to drag this one up again...
    Originally posted by Hobbes

No they don't. My reading of the T&C is that any faults that occur I can be billed for, for them to fix it. So they can charge me not to offer a service.

I'm sure this isn't the case for most people, but I don't feel like signing something that basically could be used to bill me that way at a later date.

Not the case. In practice, what that clause means is any fault that can be fixed by an engineer during normal working hours is covered by your standard line rental, unless it is like an internal house wiring issue, i.e. where an electrician has wired extra points in the house, eircom installed the first point in the house, or its out-of-hours. In that case, the work is chargeable as its not stopping them providing a service, and in the existing phone service agreement covers the out-of-hours issue.

Rule of thumb: if you didn't fúck it up, then you don't get the bill for it.

Advertisement