Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Domesticated Hedgehogs

• 30-12-2002 5:15pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,154 ✭✭✭✭

Anybody know of a place in Ireland that breeds these? I know you can get them in the states and it's damn cruel to be capturing a wild one.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

Keeping a "wild" animal , even if bread as such is not right. I dont support it. Cats and dogs are fine, can come and go as they please etc etc.. but wild animals like hedgehogs etc should not be bread for captivity as far as im concerned...
    Especially if it gets to live in a cage for its life! Like a snake or Parrot.
    Anyway why would you want to? Might as will give a Porcupine or razor blade (depending on level of sadism) to your 2 year old nephew to play with!

Oh and no i dont know of anywhere you can get them here... just my 2c

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,154 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

Well the hedgehogs of which i speak are born and rared in captivity so to release them into the wild would actually be cruel.

I respect your 2c all the same but it isn't the topic of this thread.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 274 ✭✭FAYESY

Hi,

I'm not sure where you can get a domesticated european hedgehog, I am hoping my Long Eared Desert Hedgehogs will breed in the new year! I got my hedgies in the uk they are an exotic species & must be kept inside & must not be allowed to hibernate (as they can die!) They are not a cuddly pet but have fun if some what prickly personalities!!! LOL Spike my male is still very nervous & likes to hide! Helga HufflePuff is great! shes into everything was even climing onto my bed last night to say hello!.

Just to say most "Exotics" are bred in captivity to help keep a species alive! I keep snakes, lizards, parrots, rodents, etc etc. I do not believe in wild caught species! & buy from good breeders!

My hogs have a big cage & are let out most nights to do their own thing! mind you I usualy have to play find the hog after 4-5 hours! they love to hide! & can get in the smallest places! usualy my boots & shoes!!

You could contact the uk Hedgehog society 0044-1584890801 or St. Tiggywinkles 0044-1844292292 they are trying to rescue all the hedgehogs due to be culled in Scotland! you may be able to help!

Hope this helps??!!!??

Regards

Faye :cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,362 ✭✭✭the Guru

thats a very strange request why if you dont mind me asking would you want a pet hedgehog or is ita money making venture

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

St Tiggywinkles I think let people adopt hedgehogs who have been out of the wild too long to go back, or who are injured in some way that they couldn't survive.

But a hedgehog wouldn't be at the top of my wanted pets list...you can't cuddle them :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 274 ✭✭FAYESY

Originally posted by eth0_
    St Tiggywinkles I think let people adopt hedgehogs who have been out of the wild too long to go back, or who are injured in some way that they couldn't survive.

But a hedgehog wouldn't be at the top of my wanted pets list...you can't cuddle them :)

Hi Etho,

Just to point out I can & do cuddle my hogs! you have to be a little careful!! LOL but they have cuddly bellys that are really soft! They are very cool pets indeed!

Regards

Faye

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

Originally posted by FAYESY
    Hi Etho,

Just to point out I can & do cuddle my hogs! you have to be a little careful!! LOL but they have cuddly bellys that are really soft! They are very cool pets indeed!

Regards

Faye

aww! :-D
    I think i'll stick with the hedgehogs who visit my garden though. Although they're asleep now :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,154 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

Well Guru, I have been toying with the idea of getting one for some time now. I have always been fascinated by them. I can't honestly give you a reason as to why i want one. It's just a thing i'd like to look into.

Advertisement