Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

using overseas notebooks in IRL

• 30-12-2002 6:50pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 12

I am an American moving to Ireland and I am not a computer whizz so I need some advice. I am finishing my degree from the university of Florida online while I will be in Ireland. I have to buy a notebook computer. Now I know I will need a power adaptor to plug it in but what about the modem, is the telephone line the same? Will I need another adaptor to get online? I could solve my problems by buying the computer over there but the prices are much higher. Is it a real pain in the neck to use an American laptop in Ireland or is it no big deal? Thanks if you can help,
    -nillis

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Originally posted by nillis
    I am an American moving to Ireland and I am not a computer whizz so I need some advice. I am finishing my degree from the university of Florida online while I will be in Ireland. I have to buy a notebook computer. Now I know I will need a power adaptor to plug it in but what about the modem, is the telephone line the same? Will I need another adaptor to get online? I could solve my problems by buying the computer over there but the prices are much higher. Is it a real pain in the neck to use an American laptop in Ireland or is it no big deal? Thanks if you can help,
    -nillis

The phone line should be the same, if it's not, I'm sure you could get an adaptor, as the difference would only be in the shape of the plug, the underlying protocol is the same.

And yes, you are much better off buying the mahcine over there.

:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,143 ✭✭✭spongebob

phone connector is identical in Ireland and the US (rj11)

only difference is electrical voltage so make sure your power adapter will switch from 110 volts (US) to 220 volts (the rest of the civilised world) or that you can buy a new adapter for your laptop here.

Toshiba and IBM are a good bet for autoswitching power adapters

my IBM adapter has 110-240V in the voltage range spec (sticker on adapter) so it works fine in both Ireland/US

Dell adapters don't autoswitch but the adapter will cost ya $50 - $60 over here for a 220v

Compaq HP and PACKARD BELL adapters shoul dbe available here too. Other brands ...maybe not.

M

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,984 ✭✭✭✭Lump

TBH I reland uses 230 VOlts, and the phone adaptor is different. My MA bought a laptop in america, when you buy the laptop tell them you will be using it in Ireland, can you have an adator kit, Its well worth buying the kit as you can then use the laptop world wide.

America uses both 110 and 240 volts, so ask in the electrical shop for a little adaptor.

John

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78,462 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Make sure you change your dial-up settings!

If you are coming here to work (you don't really say), you may be able to write off relocation expenses against tax.
    Now I know I will need a power adaptor to plug it in
    Ask your supplier to provide a 3-pin, 220V adaptor (UK and Ireland are identical, but different to other 3 pin systems). Some suppliers have interchangable parts / cables.
    what about the modem, is the telephone line the same?
    Soem individual lines can be quite poor (obligation is only 14.4k). As the lads said above regarding RJ11s, (I'm not 100% on this) but if you have an ISDN line (128k) you need an RJ45 connector. Can someone clarify this?

The billing model is quite different to the USA. The usual is you pay the phone company (the is little choice) about €25-30 euros a month as a line rental and various per minute charges on top - local calls are not free. Some ISPs provide free services (best option if you are only here for a short while), others charge an annual account charge and give you a low(er) cost phone number to call. Peak time access can be a little expensive. Always-on access isn't really available for domestic customers.

One option is to use internet cafes and college / work for heavy downloading.
    I could solve my problems by buying the computer over there but the prices are much higher.
    All I can suggest is shop around and take tax into account. Make sure you are comparing after tax (VAT is equivalent to sales tax) prices. I'm sure Dell are offering basic desktops (monitor included) for around €599+VAT(21%). See if you can get a VAT refund by claiming visitor status (you might not qualify). Enquire here www.revenue.ie - our equivalent of the IRS). Be careful or you might be charged VAT on your arrival here with a new laptop.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,569 ✭✭✭maxheadroom

Originally posted by Muck
    Dell adapters don't autoswitch but the adapter will cost ya $50 - $60 over here for a 220v

Emmm - actually, they do. The new ones do, anyway. The desktops even autoswitch these days :) (I worked in sales there for a few months this year)

And I know for a fact that the ones from the Inspiron 8100 range work here too. (I've seen it working, and it is rated 110 - 240 )

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,153 ✭✭✭bkehoe

Dell laptop psus also auto switch; its a fairly common thing these days. ;) And the phone connector IS exactly the same, only problem is the difference in charges. :(

Brendan

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,162 ✭✭✭Quigs Snr

I just bought a laptop in the US about a week ago to take back to Ireland. Phone connectors will be fine. I got a Compaq 905US. All the newer compaqs have a UNIVERSAL power adaptor which will go from 110-240v or whatever it is. Beware some older machines more than a year old MAY not have the universal adaptor, these are expensive. This may also be true of some brand new no names. Just make sure when you buy it that it has a universal power adaptor. It makes sense when you think of it. Whats the point in a laptop that you can't carry around the world with you ?

After that you will just need a plug adaptor to make your US plug fit into an irish socket. You can get these easily. I got mine in an airport.

Aside from that you should have no problems.

Advertisement