Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Who's the best promoter for small bands in dublin?

Options
  • 30-12-2002 7:01pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 47

most of them art arseholes.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,343 ✭✭✭polarbelly

do it yourself, book out a small venue like isaac butts or da2 and put on your own night

• Closed Accounts Posts: 153 ✭✭Morn

I agree - you could also find a band who's played there a few times and see if they want to do a joint headline kinda thing and get their help organising...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 454 ✭✭bandit

Best promator of all time is.................
    aidan walsh:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,287 ✭✭✭thedrowner

oh my goodness, did u *see* the documentary

the man is an absolute nightmare, with regards to dealing with him....ive had to work with him a few times and ive come so close to telling him to **** off... (which'd probably result in me gettingh fired, but ah well)

• Registered Users Posts: 604 ✭✭✭mumblin deaf ro

If you're in a small band, then you don't really need to go through promoters, you can just book a place yourself and go from there. Some of the gigsmart people here may be able to give you some good advice on that.

Alternatively, the Music Room and Music Matters both put together weekly gigs featuring several bands. I'm not sure of the details, but both post here from time to time, so keep eyes peeled.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 130 ✭✭horsekick

yeah, check out http://www.gigsmartireland.com and send a band biog to gigsmart_ireland@yahoo.com and just say your lookin for gigs etc, if you get involved a little bit they'll more than likely be happy to sort ya with a few gigs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 130 ✭✭horsekick

... or get in touch with voodoo, they do gigs on a monday and tuesday night with no venue hire, just get in touch with them and they'll give you a gig, not sure how to contact them though, they post regularly enough here, keep an eye out.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,151 ✭✭✭Thomas from Presence

We (Gigsmart) have just negotiated a TOTALLY FREE GIG WITH BACKLINE SUPPLIED in Voodoo on Mondays through to Wednesdays for January.

About gigsmart
    All our gigs are free with the profits divided evenly.
    All our gigs are PROMOTED.
    Gigsmart promoters are in bands not faceless assholes looking to make a quick buck at others expense.

If interested in playing any of our showcase nights and networking with other bands for supports, joint gigs etc get in contact by calling 085-7189920 or mailing gigsmart_ireland@yahoo.co.uk

www.gigsmartireland.com

New site up soon!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 406 ✭✭the66electric

Putting a bit of money behind it yourself and running your own gigs is the only way forward. More rearding when the end comes too.

Putting a bit of money behind it yourself and running your own gigs is the only way forward.

That outlook is well and good to a degree. Not every band should be an island I think. If all the bands networked and worked together things would be a bit better.

This is what I've been doing with the gigsmart thing. If a band organises its own gigs then the benefits are self evident, so is the hastle. Its nice to know that a suitable support act can be found at a moments notice and that bands can help out with the advertising and organisation.

If a band wants to expand its crowd beyond friends and family then its important that it plays a gig that has other bands of a similar nature bringing people to. This way each bands crowd is offered another act to look out for in future. Many bands playing with gigsmart have had their profile and audience raised dramatically by this model (it only works if the band is good though!).

Bands working under one banner has enabled us to get discounts on a wide range of goods and services for bands. We get a lot of gigs cheaper or free than single bands because we block book dates meaning a better monetary deal for bands.
    My point is that it is better we work together than every band being strictly an island.

That said when garageworld* book a venue like Isaac Butts that costs €150 and charge 4 bands €150 to play (profit of €450) and do nothing to promote the gig and charge €10 to those that don't have a ticket (€10 they keep) then your better off organising your own night in that venue than joining the garageworld* scene. Just give us a shout if you want a hand or play any of our nights!

*Not Real name

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 66 ✭✭Rob. C

if you want a gig call john at voodoo. his number is 0879823752 or his office 018736013 they always help out acts looking to gig.
    or check out gigsmartireland.com

Of course no band is an island but there was a remarkable change in our fortunes when we stopped getting burned by promoters full of promises and name dropping sweet talk (this sound familiar Garageland?) put in alot of work ourselves and carried all that comes along with it.

Currently there has been a raising of the bar from Music Matters with their Bandage nights and stuff where bands actually don't pay a penny and get something for their troubles as well but who knows.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 157 ✭✭nessy

I've just started running Saturday nights in Voodoo... I provide drumkit and the nights are open to both new and more established bands.. no pay to play stuff here and the the bands can actually make some decent enough money...

if anyone is interested..
    087 9219955
    info@musicmattersinternational.com
    www.musicmattersinternational.com

• Closed Accounts Posts: 47 polemical

Cheers for the replys. Renting out venues is the best option but I don't have the experience yet. I have rented out a venue before but it didn't go as well as expected. Money is irrelivant, our priority is to play infront of a decent sized crowds. Were doing one of those music matters gigs with vannessa in da2 at the end of the month and it sounds very promising. It's things like that were always trying to get into. Cheers!:eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,840 ✭✭✭Trev M

just a point . ....no promoter will make a crowd magically appear...anyone who thinks they will get a crowd by playing for a promoter is deluded ...all the bands on the night have to work to make the thing a success....just a small point but important.

Gluk - Trev

Originally posted by polemical
    our priority is to play infront of a decent sized crowds

same for any band

best way to do that though isnt by renting out your own venue like i said earlier, best way to that is supporting bigger bands ie. the ones who are guaranteed to fill venues

Yea thats true lads, I was being a bit idealistic about the decent sized crowds. We usually bring a big enough crowd for ourselves ie. family, friends,girlfriends ect.. But the bands we play with rarely bring anyone. I suppose im just whinging a bit now, I just want to be heard that's all. As many people here can empathise with: theres nothing better than playing in a full venue. Although the better promoters tend to have successful, packed gigs. In my experience anyway.

here's my solution... go to a **** load of gigs and see why there are crowds at some etc... is it cos the band are good or cos the promoter is good or cos they have loadsa mates.... if its no.2 find out who he/she is and get them to promote you

or else go the hard way and work your balls off or get supports

• Closed Accounts Posts: 209 ✭✭Niall S.

The gigsmart way of life, is the best way to go about this, although lately even we have been slipping.
    Contrary to what people believe, Gigsmart is not a promotional company or a company that gets people gigs, management or even a company at all.
    GigSmart is a way of thinking, We will organize a gig together, and you can use my Drum Kit if I can use your Bass Amp, that Kind of thing.

There has been an unspoken trust among bands from the beginning, that if you go to my gig then I will go to yours, sadly this isn't too much the case anymore.

I think that I have been to every band in Dublin at this point, I have arranged Gigs for atleast 50 bands, done flyers runs, posters arranged Radio Air Play and Advertisement.

Some Time in March My Band the Al Capone Suite will play there first official Gig in Dorans I would imagine, now if all the people that I have done favors for and in all fairness, owe me atleast one favor turn up, then there should be enough people there to fill the place atleast 3 times over, but we will see how this fairs out.

If it works out then fair enough, if not then I think that its safe to say that it doesn'y matter how many people in bands you know, or how many favours you do, or how much effort you put in, people still won't go to your gig if they don't feel like gettin up off their assess, because people are assholes.

Just my assessment on the situation.

Niall.

Theres an old rule in showbiz that crowd begets bigger crowd, hype begets bigger hype. Tis the way it works! Support your brother bands people!

• Advertisement

In the process of getting into gigsmart. It seems like a ****in class organisation. Real friendly and all. A beautiful contrast to garageland which we used to be in. Gigsmart definitely seems the best way forward. I've seen some of the bands in it and their brilliant.

:D

Don't mind saying this but Garageland really took some ****ing bands for a ride. Oportunism of the worst kind. Wouldn't piss on them to put them out.

Amen

Yea agreed. Did one of those radiator gigs in Doran's and it was deadly. Nice set up.

:mad:

Advertisement