Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

MP3 Problem :(

• 30-12-2002 7:20pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 114 ✭✭

I used to run winme on my computer, i had no problem ripping cd's to mp3's, i upgraded to win2000 and ever since when i rip a track it forms trackx.mp3, but when u play it the track time elapses but theres absolutely no sound output :( . I was never too concerned about it, but ive just bought a mp3 player so as you can imagine now its a big problem :D any help much appreciated. I'm using cdex to rip the tracks btw.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 226 ✭✭Rolo Tomasi

does the problem exist when playing on the mp3 player or on the pc?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 114 ✭✭Jester

Sorry, forgot to say, its on the pc, when i rip it, click on play the track time elapses but absolutely no sound. So naturally then when i put it on the mp3 player it does the same thing. It must be a problem with cdex or the settings, cause i can play downloaded mp3's fine. Its just when i rip them from a cd :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

Anyone remember if an ASPI layer is handy/necessary for most ripping programs?

(if so, Win2k doesn't come with one while 9x/ME does)

Google for ForceASPI maybe?

Bah i dont know what that means :( Anyone explain it or have ne other ideas?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 410 ✭✭Drazhar

before you go messin with mad ASPI things (though you probably will have to) get a program called MP3Gain. ITs for normalising the Decibel level on MP3s, as anyone who downloads MP3's knows, some are quieter than others.

Anyway, when you get this program, use it to analyse on of the tracks you ripped. If it comes back with very low Db' (iove mine set to 95db) try setting them up a notch, then see if they play. If they do, check your ripping software, it may have an option for setting the Db level, and could be at 0

But sceptre being a mod, most likely knows what he's on about, a bit more than me any way

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

Originally posted by Drazhar
    But sceptre being a mod, most likely knows what he's on about, a bit more than me any way

Oh, no - that just makes me a ringmaster of a circus - doesn't mean I know anything special about how the acts do their performance:)

Certainly worth following Drazhar's suggestions

After that...

Checked around and judging by this link (about half-way down - "can't hear any sound") you'll definitely need an ASPI layer (the other solutions don't apply as it worked fine before you switched to win2000)

Grab ForceASPI here. It's only 150k in size so it won't take very long. Unzip all the files (making sure it sorts the files into various directories) and then run "INSTASPI.BAT" (just double-click on it, you know the drill). Reboot and you're done. You'll /have/ to do this ASPI install given that you're running Windows 2000.

(if you had any adaptec hardware or software you could run one file they provide instead - nice info about ASPI here)

FFS, im only after realising, cd's dont play, winamp appears and the track time elapses but nothing happens, jeez this is really annoying me :( bought an mp3 player and i cant play mp3's :(

Right, well i downloaded that ASPI thing sceptre, i can now play audio cd's from my cdrewriter, and can rip proper mp3's from it. Likewise with my dvd drive. Muchos gracias lads :D time to fill this wee 10gb monster to the gills with stuff :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,144 ✭✭✭Runfree

If you download Muscimatch Jukebox. There is a CD ripper in that.

Its a great program.

Also Easy CD Creator is a better program but you would have to buy that if im right

Advertisement