Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Private Folders

• 30-12-2002 7:46pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭

Fairly straightforward question I hope I can get a straightforward answer. How do you make your folders private so no one else can seem them. I'm using Windows XP. There are several users on this computer so I'd like peace of mind so no one accidentally uncovers my stash :D

The WinXP way of doing things blows. You have to put everything into your my documents folder if you want to use the built in protection. But I can't move several gigs into my C drive, it's only 4 gigs. I preferred the win2000 way of protecting stuff. Just take ownership and voila protected folders and files. Any ideas?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,005 ✭✭✭strat

not sure about the native method but you could try some third party software like http://www.drivecrypt.com/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭CivilServant

Woah! I was greeted with this popup

"NOW RELEASED !
    DRIVECRYPT 3.03a
    1344 BIT - ENCRYPTION"

Nice! :D But a little bit beyond overkill here. The people using the computer aren't geniuses by any stretch of the imagination. I just want to hide the folders or restrict access.

Oh yeah a free app would be nice too, hope I'm not asking too much ;)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

Is the filesystem on the drive you want to protect NTFS or FATXX? If it's NTFS, surely you just have to adjust the security permissions?

adam

Yeah, I had the same idea as you dahamsta but when I right click on a folder I want to make private it only gives me 3 tabs to choose from. General, Sharing, and Customise. Oh yeah I'm running NTFS so it should theorectically give me a security option but it isn't there.

The partition is part of a logical drive though, do you think that might have something to do with it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,483 ✭✭✭✭daveirl

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭Kairo

Originally posted by daveirl
    Sounds like your running XP Home...

I'm running XP Pro, and I'm having the very same trouble?

How come you have to log in as admin and boot into safe mode to set permissions? My main account is already and administrator.

*Ah..just read that other thread. Right there at the bottom of 'advanced settings' Can't believe I never noticed it before :)*

I'm running XP Pro too. That worked great thanks daveirl and Hauppy New Year! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,817 ✭✭✭✭po0k

tbh, Win2k :)

or....just "or".....loobix.

Advertisement