Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What bills do you pay?

Options
  • 30-12-2002 8:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 78,397 ✭✭✭✭

What bills do you (or your housemates) pay? (Don't include those paid by your landlord).

What bills do you pay? (Multiple choices allowed) 2046 votes

Electricity (ESB)
    0% 0 votes
    Electricity (Other)
    19% 407 votes
    Gas (Bord Gáis)
    0% 14 votes
    Gas (Other)
    10% 219 votes
    Oil
    0% 20 votes
    Cable TV
    3% 67 votes
    Satellite TV
    10% 222 votes
    Refuse collection (council)
    5% 122 votes
    Refuse collection (other)
    7% 144 votes
    Water (Council)
    4% 87 votes
    Water (Other)
    0% 20 votes
    Other (please state)
    0% 6 votes
    Phone (mobile)
    1% 39 votes
    Phone (fixed)
    13% 267 votes
    Combined Broadband / phone
    9% 186 votes
    Broadband
    7% 152 votes
    TV Licence
    3% 74 votes

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

There's 2 of us sharing bills in our gaf. During the winter, Gas and ESB amounts to about €15 each (per utility) per month. NTL is €7.50 each per month.

Nothing really. If I had a phone line I'd be broke. So I don't. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭azezil

well stuck at home, i pay 50 rent n give 30 towards food n bills, but usually help towards the electric aswell

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,299 ✭✭✭oeNeo

As usual I have to pay every bill myself. Curse my evil parents.

• Registered Users Posts: 35,524 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

You missed out phone bill (didn't you?)

Phone bill
    Electricity
    Cable (well, I get the bill - does that mean I "pay" the bill?)

All other bills paid for by landlords.

• Registered Users Posts: 524 ✭✭✭silverski

I pay:

ESB. Drive me nuts as I have to manually switch on the hot water heater for a shower and then I only get about 3 mins of very very very hot water. But I usually forget its on and then I get the Bill... Maybe I should consider cold showers from now on. Well at least I would get more than 3 mins in the Shower

GAS. The Landlord just divides the Amount by the number of flats in the house. So I end up paying the same amount for a one bed flat as for the much larger flats in the house.

No fixed line. Boy do I miss that. But then again I would not be able to afford it.

No TV in the Flat... Miss that too :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,345 ✭✭✭Velvet Vocals

I think the ESB and Board Gás deliberately make it hard to understand their billing methods... can anyone work out how many units of gas or electricity they have used in a day... do you even think of it in units. Maybe other people do, but I don't - if you leave the light on all night how many units would that use up... how much would it cost.... Whatever - it's too expensive!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Originally posted by Saint Something
    I think the ESB and Board Gás deliberately make it hard to understand their billing methods... can anyone work out how many units of gas or electricity they have used in a day... do you even think of it in units. Maybe other people do, but I don't - if you leave the light on all night how many units would that use up... how much would it cost.... Whatever - it's too expensive!!!

I would consider them actually quite transparent, especially compared to Eircom (remember their per-unit billing? FS).

You can work out the amount of kWh you've used in a month, divide by the number of days to get, the per day value, and the n you can work out what you're spending per day. Most appliances have the kWh rating on them by law, IIRC.

Bord Gais is a little more difficult. I just know when the bill is high, it's time to adjust the on/off times on the timer!!

:)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,472 ✭✭✭Sposs

ESB
    Gas
    Mortgage
    Phone Bill
    Water bill
    Refuse Bill
    House Insurance
    Credit card

No wonder im always broke :(

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,763 Mod ✭✭✭✭ToxicPaddy

Originally posted by Sposs
    No wonder im always broke :(

My sentiments exactly... :rolleyes:

ESB
    Gas
    NTL Digital with Full Movies and Sports Package
    Eircom Landline
    Refuse bill

(The above is split between 3 of us)

02 Mobile
    Car Insurance
    Car Payments
    Credit Card payments
    Loan Payments

And now Ive bought a gaff I have a mortgage as well, well until I rent the place out and then they will pay it for me..
    *sigh* :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32 pinks

How much does peoples gas bill be we got ours this month €220 is that expensive or is it the normal

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,630 ✭✭✭gline

Electricity and broadband (IBB) gas covered in rent aswell as refuse charges. I dont have a tv (got rid of it as there is feck all on it)so i dont pay tv license.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 mikekrupel

What are the average monthly costs for a phone?

Mike

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭mezzdon

Oh too many!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,347 ✭✭✭daiixi

ESB, NTL, mobile phone, broadband, credit card, bank fees and charges, gym membership and contents and travel insurance. Oh and rent and UGC unlimited card.

hrm.. took me ages to type that as I kept forgetting things.. DOH! thank god I walk to work. Oh and average monthly spend on my mobile is around €10 or under.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 John Diver

How much are people spending for each bill?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 80 ✭✭Darven

i pay 50 every two months on gas and esb. they amount to 200 and its split fourways.

i then have my mobile bill and my internet bill and bintags and what not

• Registered Users Posts: 6,630 ✭✭✭gline

John Diver wrote:
    How much are people spending for each bill?

my esb actually comes to €70 every month or a small 1 bedroom apartment :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,294 ✭✭✭Mrs. MacGyver

I shar a house with my fella and his brother and we pay all the bills. we have no heating (house is being renovated) so lecky can be dear in winter.

Our last bill was €280 as prev bill was estimated. What a shock!!

• Registered Users Posts: 294 ✭✭Misty Moon

Pay half ESB, half Bord Gais, half cable, half rubbish charges. TV licence is split by three as landlady pays a portion of that. Phone fixed charges also divided by three and then pay whatever call charges come up for each person.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 4,436 Mod ✭✭✭✭Suaimhneach

I have all bills [NTL, Gas, ESB, and IBB] in my name in this house as I've been the only constant person in the house for the last yaer and a half. We split everything evenly, however ESB and Gas have both somehow skipped a bill on us over the summer resulting in us having to pay two bills ie four months in one go... :/

It's not cheap.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 610 ✭✭✭nialo

Everything is halfed.. ntl, esb, gas and refuse charges. mobile on my own.. all in all 200 euro a month for me!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭kaimera

ESB/Oil/Refuse/Sky/DigiWeb between 6

• Registered Users Posts: 392 ✭✭DéiseGirl

We pay ESB and NTL Digital, and one of my flatmates organised to be connected to Digiweb and we paid that in one lump sum between the four of us at the start of the year.

Oh and a TV licence :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 392 ✭✭DéiseGirl

pinks wrote:
    How much does peoples gas bill be we got ours this month €220 is that expensive or is it the normal

Yikes! Our ESB bill (between four people) is about €150 for 2 months....(most recent one was €200 but it usually averages out to €150)

• Registered Users Posts: 22,420 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

D&#233 wrote: »
    Yikes! Our ESB bill (between four people) is about €150 for 2 months....(most recent one was €200 but it usually averages out to €150)
    Our gas bill was 180 for the last 2 months and that's with no heating and minimal use of the gas powered drier (in other words, essentials only, cooking and washing) The standing charge and the VAT was about half of the cost. In wintertime there'll be extra jumpers worn because there is no way I can afford to use the central heating.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,096 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Just ESB and rent here. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 438 ✭✭wasim21k

esb
    broadband
    mobile.
    phone
    bin charges (to my landlord i hate to pay him):mad:
    credit card (all the time pulling my legs)
    rent
    loan repayments
    work canteen
    Life insurance

• Registered Users Posts: 1,266 ✭✭✭MysticalSoul

ESB
    Gas
    Digiweb Broadband (I cover this, as tenant does not use broadband)
    TV Licence
    Phone line
    Management company fees (I cover it, my tenant does not)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 356 ✭✭dirtydress

Studio Apartment here:

ESB - can vary but because its so cold i use more heat so it can be up to €100!
    NTL - Digital Max whatsit, about €30
    Broadband - from 3, around €20

Not TOO bad but ill be glad when it gets warmer and the ESB calms down!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭civis_liberalis

It strikes me that even with the relative anonymity of a web forum, I suspect that many of the 44.33% that claim that they pay their TV licences are lying...

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement