Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

foreign console/laptop

• 31-12-2002 4:45pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,718 ✭✭✭

first off sorry if this is in the wrong place but couldnt think of where else to post it.

my question is when u come back to ireland from hols with new stuff, say gamecube or laptop etc r ye meant to declare this 4 tax?
    also if u dont is it likely they will catch u & if so take it off u. im goin to england next week & was considerin a new xbox/gamecube or possibly laptop was just wonderin was this an issue?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,718 ✭✭✭whosurpaddy

would appreiate any feedback on this

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,569 ✭✭✭maxheadroom

welll - you might get a better resopnse in Business/economy seeing as how its a tax question.

BUT, england is EU, so you shouldn't need to declare it if its for personal use.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭BigEejit

As was previously mentioned the UK is in the EU, so just hold on to your receipts and if anyone hassles you wave them receipts under their nose and tell them to get knotted...:D

thanx lads:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,162 ✭✭✭Quigs Snr

Yeah, You're ok in Europe. However in the US you can only bring back 180 Eur worth pf stuff before customs rape you for duty on it on the way in, as I found out a couple of weeks ago when I was stopped in Shannon with A new Laptop, Digital camera, DVD's, perfumes etc....... Somehow the gods smiled on me and the customs guy just winked and said I hope you get some good presents in return. I think he went all gooey when he saw the kids toys I was bringing back for a mate and let me off, it being a couple of days before christmas, another time, I would have been shafted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

Customs at Dublin airport really seems to be a joke. Every time I've been through there (from a variety of locations) the customs guys just sat at their desks and didn't bat an eyelid at anyone.

How did they ever manage to see your stuff Quigs? :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,162 ✭✭✭Quigs Snr

I'll tell you how they saw it. I thought the traffic in Boston would be crazy the friday before christmas so left for the airport early.I got there 6 hours before the flight and checked in. My bags were first on the plane, last off (and soaked somehow!). So I was the last person through customs that morning. One bored guy on his own. I was unshaven, Hair standing up, had taken 4 sleeping pills to knock me out on the flight, but hadn't actually slept because of what the captain called 'severe' turbulence, now I am a bad flier and normally **** myself in what they usually call 'mild' turbulence, so you can imagine I was pretty wound up, and starting to feel tired. I must have looked like a druggie.

The guy asked me a few questions, at first I was in such a daze, thinking only of my car, which I knew wasn't going to start (and it didn't either) and didn't hear the guy and walked straight past him, which must have looked odd, so he hauled me back and asked me questions, I must have been only semi coherent, but it ended with him asking to look in my bags. He so softened when he saw the dolls though, thank god he was in the christmas spirit.

And the moral of the story is, try to be awake going through customs!

thanx lads. uve been v helpful:D

Advertisement