Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irishwisp

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 538 ✭✭✭raphaelS

Originally posted by David C
    Karl,

Killiney Hill also has fantastic LOS to a large population itching for broadband. Looks right over Dun Laoghaire, Monkstown, Dalkey & Blackrock and far further to the north and west. There are already several two way relays up at the abandoned castle above Dalkey Quarry.

Best of luck!

Good point David... Killiney Hill is a nice spot.
    And I also would like to see this area covered since I failled my IBB's LOS! :(

Raphael

• Closed Accounts Posts: 53 ✭✭martinikarl

I'm getting allot of emails about coverage.

Irish wisp is available within a 2.5 - 3 mile radius of 3- rock mountain. There are a few black spots also. East of the dual carriageway is difficult because of the sloping hill that runs down to Blackrock. Windy Arbour is the most northerly point available.

If you are within 2.5 miles of 3-rock and you can see the summit from your roof, you are a likely candidate for the service.

It is also important to have the wireless terminate as close as possible to the computer/ethernet converter.

Some people have computers located downstairs at over 35 feet from the antenna. In such cases, especially in outlying areas, an ethernet converter needs to be installed in the attic. This adds about €100 to the cost of the install. It also helps to have power available in the attic.

Regards,

Karl Martini
    www.irishwisp.net

• Registered Users Posts: 2,127 ✭✭✭STaN

do the people own the equipment once it is installed?

do you charge for extra bandwidth usage?

how many people can you take on in the area?

Irish WISP will own the equipment after it is installed.
    We don't have a package to charge for extra bandwidth yet. This will change. No prices yet.
    I can't tell you the how many people we can handle in the area. We won't exceed the capacity, however.

I assume you have a basic telecommunications licence?

Any chance we could see that flyer lemming :)

Doing a tracert on the site ... leads to aramiska, i.e satellite broadband provider. Can i ask if the service uses satellite for backhaul?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,153 ✭✭✭bkehoe

Aramiska give customers free hosting for their domain, so they'd have to have an aramiska service to get the hosting. Their site is even on the same server as mine at aramiska. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,718 ✭✭✭SkepticOne

Originally posted by David C
    Karl,

Firstly, great to see more company participation on the boards!
    Especially when they identify themselves. :)

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

Irish wisp is available within a 2.5 - 3 mile radius of 3- rock mountain. There are a few black spots also. East of the dual carriageway is difficult because of the sloping hill that runs down to Blackrock. Windy Arbour is the most northerly point available.
    Same as IBB in that regard then. Will be interesting to see if Irish wisp can make up for the difference in higher upload speed & lack of cap of IBB by being reliable.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭pete

northside

please

someone

help

I'm sure you've all heard about Eircom's proposed price reduction for DSL to EUR 45 per month excluding VAT (EUR 54.45 with VAT)

If this happens, they will still be more expensive than irish WISP at EUR 49 but too close for comfort. We intend to comete aggressively and if these plans move ahead, we will respond.

We don't have details yet but a likely response would be a price reduction, an increase in speed, an increase or scrapping of the download cap or a combination of the above.

The speeds that wireless technology offers (72 megabits/sec and rising) mean that wireless can go much further than DSL.

We are working on many value added technologies, such as video on demand which means you can rent a movie from a video server.

This is the kind of competition you've all been looking for. We welcome it and fully intend to meet the challenge.

Karl Martini

Irish WISP

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 293 ✭✭David C

Scrap (or relax) the cap like Irish Broadband and I'll seriously consider signing up...

Caps are hardly used in the UK at all.. As has been said before, instead of clock watching, you're data watching with a cap.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,534 ✭✭✭MDR

Well done,

its nice to see a good business attitude for a change,
    can I take this opportunity to re-iterate the point about
    expanding you coverage ... possibly to broadband starved
    North Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,148 ✭✭✭✭Lemming

Originally posted by STaN

Any chance we could see that flyer lemming :)

Oh fu......

I completely forgot to scan it in STaN and I distinctly remember throwing it in the recycle bin last week with a rake of other stuff. Suffice to say, there's nothing on the flyer that isn't on the irish-wisp website.

Sorry guys :(

And may I just echo MDR's comments about businesses who actually WANT to provide a competitive service :)

• Registered Users Posts: 287 ✭✭d0gb0y

Ditch the eircon styled cap & release a reasonably priced 1mb product & I would join up till then i await my LOS off IBB

• Registered Users Posts: 14,148 ✭✭✭✭Lemming

FOUND IT!!! :D

IrishWisp Flyer

Don't ask how or where I found it ......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 raindog

The Nokia Rooftop solution has been discontinued by Nokia. Mesh technologies generally are very expensive from a CPE standpoint. Motorola is another company which has a system called Canopy and it is a proprietory system similiar to Nokia's one. With these types of systems users generally wouldn't be able to purchase and setup them selves whereas with Wi-Fi (802.11b) they could.

hmmm, you trying to determine what they are using?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 raindog

Not publicly on the forum though I have sent a private mail on related matters ;-) I'm just replying to the comment on mesh technologies.

• Registered Users Posts: 693 ✭✭✭Gyck

Has anyone actually subscribed to their service?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Timgu

I have a subscription to irishwisp at home , I live in sandyford , I subscribed as i have dsl in work and the 56k at home pissed me off no end,
    SO a note came in the door and I subscribed, ITS THE DOGS BO***X of a service, two guys arrived and installed an aerial on the roof and fitted a 'thing' in the computer and that was it, Type in your pass word and off you go, all day if want. 24/7

Photos are so quick and downloading short movies ( if you know what I mean) takes a few seconds...........

Over all it great and highly recomended....... :):):)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 160 ✭✭Mark_irl

Also remember that theres a whole half of the City being ignored, the irony of living a few miles outside the city centre on the Northside and no broadband available.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 258 ✭✭Ardmore

Originally posted by Mark_irl
    Also remember that theres a whole half of the City being ignored, the irony of living a few miles outside the city centre on the Northside and no broadband available.

Yeah, it's so inconsiderate of IrishWISP to build their mountain on the southside.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,534 ✭✭✭MDR

There are no mountains on the Northside ... but there are plenty of high points ....

Irish WISP is increasing the download cap from 3 gigabytes to 12 gigabytes per month. This change applies to existing and future customers and is effective immediately.

We plan to phase out the cap all together as capacity increases over time.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭SouperComputer

I'm sold :)

but im on the northside :( Hurry Hurry

• Registered Users Posts: 1,562 ✭✭✭Snaga

Thats an excellent move. A decent sized cap. Now if only your signal reached out to broadband starved Leixlip :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,025 ✭✭✭yellum

Originally posted by raindog
    Mesh technologies generally are very expensive from a CPE standpoint.

Locust technologies are doing a fairly cheap Mesh Networking rig now actually. Fine thing it is too. Mesh is a pretty nifty idea but you really do need the numbers for it.

Roll on the Open Spectrum and software defined radio. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭ballooba

Originally posted by Timgu
    I have a subscription to irishwisp at home , I live in sandyford , I subscribed as i have dsl in work and the 56k at home pissed me off no end,
    SO a note came in the door and I subscribed, ITS THE DOGS BO***X of a service, two guys arrived and installed an aerial on the roof and fitted a 'thing' in the computer and that was it, Type in your pass word and off you go, all day if want. 24/7

Photos are so quick and downloading short movies ( if you know what I mean) takes a few seconds...........

Over all it great and highly recomended....... :):):)

Handy that your first post ever as anewbie is a rave about IrishWISP ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 693 ✭✭✭Gyck

Thanks for the info Karl. Nice to have someone on the supply side keeping an ear to the ground.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Dustaz

Originally posted by ballooba
    Handy that your first post ever as anewbie is a rave about IrishWISP ;)

It hadnt escaped my (and others) attention. I can only take it at face value tbh atm.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement