Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irishwisp

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,529 ✭✭✭zynaps

Originally posted by martinikarl
    Irish WISP is increasing the download cap from 3 gigabytes to 12 gigabytes per month. This change applies to existing and future customers and is effective immediately.

We plan to phase out the cap all together as capacity increases over time.
    Now THAT is realistic. Good stuff!

zynaps

• Registered Users Posts: 857 ✭✭✭kamobe

'Civilisation' does exist north of the Liffey, it's not just a rumour.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 512 ✭✭✭BoneCollector

yeah i called them and they said there are no plans to expand northwards :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,534 ✭✭✭MDR

can't blame them for taking the easy business first ... I suppose

I can and will blame them. If they truly were visionary they'd try expanding their service beyond the already saturated wireless market of South Dublin. There's numerous industrial estates, not to mention a DublinWan prescence in North Dublin.

When selling a product, do you:

a/ Find someone selling something similiar, go to where they're selling it, and try and take their buisnness.

or,

b/ Go somewhere there's no competition and people are crying out for connectivity, and simply take everyone.

• Advertisement

If they truly were visionary they'd try expanding their service beyond the already saturated wireless market of South Dublin.

Didn't known they were claiming to be 'visionary' and the south Dublin Market is hardily saturated. I do see your point but.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 258 ✭✭Ardmore

Originally posted by kamobe
    When selling a product, do you:
    a/ Find someone selling something similiar, go to where they're selling it, and try and take their buisnness.
    or,
    b/ Go somewhere there's no competition and people are crying out for connectivity, and simply take everyone.
    or
    c/ Go where you have access to the resources needed to delivery a service.

If servicing the Northside is such a no-brainer, maybe you should do it yourself? I mean, how hard can it be with no competition, and people crying out for connectivity?

Personally, after reading the posts about the "growing pains" that IBB seems to be experiencing, I'd be a bit wary of any small company trying to "take everyone" in a brand new market.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,642 ✭✭✭Dazzer

Is the full name of the company "Irish WISP Consultants LTD" ?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

Two questions Karl

1. Is it available in Dublin 20?

2. What about ping rates etc.. is it suitable for online gaming? Satellite is not (thats what i use now).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,077 ✭✭✭parasite

what bugs me is that they call it 'broadband for the masses' :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 643 ✭✭✭Gunn4r

V. interesting thread.

The point about Killiney is well made, for the company who can provide wireless to dalkey , killiney, monkstown , blackrock etc will make an absolute *fortune.*

South Dublin is by no means saturated, the only people I know with BB are NTL customers from the northside!

RE:Caps, no time for them at all and aint getting any service unless it is uncapped.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Dustaz

Originally posted by Gunn4r
    [B
    South Dublin is by no means saturated, the only people I know with BB are NTL customers from the northside!
    [/B]

Err, who are these people? Ntl have not rolled out cable internet anywhere other than parts of south dublin afaik

If servicing the Northside is such a no-brainer, maybe you should do it yourself?
    Yeah sure, I'll get right on it.
    c/ Go where you have access to the resources needed to delivery a service.
    There's plenty of tall buildings/masts to gain access to, if they really wanted, or bothered trying.

With respect to south Dublin not being saturated with broadband, I was arguing by means of exaggeration :) I accept it isn't saturated, but there is competition for customers there, and none north of the river. Just a means to get a point across (poorly)...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 258 ✭✭Ardmore

Originally posted by kamobe
    There's plenty of tall buildings/masts to gain access to, if they really wanted, or bothered trying.
    Look, there's no sign that any of the 3 players in that market have any significant spare staff capacity. They're not turning up their noses at the Northside out of any sort of snobbery, it just doesn't make sense for them to spread themselves that thin. IBB has already indicated that they are planning to put a transmitter on a building in (?)Phibsboro(?).

Remember that one of the reasons we're paying eircom so much is because of the layers of dead wood in the organization. If you want the Wireless guys to staff up to those levels, expect to pay more than they're charging now.

Just
    a/ get over it
    b/ do it yourself
    c/ move to the southside
    ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

Originally posted by Ardmore
    They're not turning up their noses at the Northside out of any sort of snobbery

Indeed. Look at it this way (really simplistic of course) - there are plenty of people on the north of Dublin with money. They may not be as tightly meshed in as in D4/6/18 but there are people who would avail of early broadband in Howth, Lucan, Swords to name three. Lack of hills is a problem to be sure - it's easier to get a transmitter in north Wicklow than on a building in North Dublin.

(don't be flaming me about the "people with money" thing - I haven't got a bean)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 raindog

Originally posted by yellum
    Locust technologies are doing a fairly cheap Mesh Networking rig now actually. Fine thing it is too. Mesh is a pretty nifty idea but you really do need the numbers for it.

Roll on the Open Spectrum and software defined radio. :)

Not when you add a monitor, keyboard, mouse etc. Someplaces you will also need an external antenna. It is an excellent idea I agree for community networks where there would be tech-led activism but from a commercial POV, I couldn't se it as practical.

Brian

• Closed Accounts Posts: 53 ✭✭martinikarl

Sorry, It's not available in Dublin 20 at the moment.

Ping rates are pretty good.....50-100 ms for Irish servers.

Look, there's no sign that any of the 3 players in that market have any significant spare staff capacity.
    Well had they started out here, then they would have had a 'monolopy' customers, and then could spread southward. Just don't see what they should be setting up where others have already done so.

I think we should just agree to differ.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 293 ✭✭David C

Have you done any LOS tests in Cabinteely/Killiney yet?
    I can see all the masts on the top of three rock clearly, is it on any of those or is it on a property further down the mountain?

A bit more tempted now to sign up with the relaxed cap...

Irish WISP has updated it's web site. New content is available to better describe the service.

Of interest to board members is the press release outlining our response to Eircom's proposed price drop.

Also...have a look at our special offer which enables customers to pay only €42.66 per month.

www.irishwisp.net

• Advertisement

Pretty web site .... (C:

and good price ... hooray competition at last ....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,127 ✭✭✭STaN

Originally posted by martinikarl
    Sorry, It's not available in Dublin 20 at the moment.

Ping rates are pretty good.....50-100 ms for Irish servers.

Thats even worse than ISDN. Do IrishWISP use SAT for backhaul?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,025 ✭✭✭yellum

Worse than ISDN for ping rates ? I thought ISDN was a good standard to measure pring rates against ? I'm not up on gaming though or could care....

Sat can give you ping rates of 500ms

We do have Satellite but it's only used as a redundant connection in case of emergencies.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,143 ✭✭✭spongebob

Do ye have Photoshop? I'd love to see this lot in colour!

http://www.irishwisp.net/map.html

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

Do ye have Photoshop? I'd love to see this lot in colour!

http://gerrytwigg.beecher.net/misc/static/irishwisp.htm

adam

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,143 ✭✭✭spongebob

the things ya can do with photoshop .....wow

• Registered Users Posts: 1,529 ✭✭✭zynaps

What scale is that, 1:48000?
    Hard to tell at a glance....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 293 ✭✭David C

Irish WISP plans to increase speed to 1MB in response to Eircom's price drop.

Wow, nice one I-WISP!
    1mb for 49 notes/month.. if only i could get coverage

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,006 ✭✭✭theciscokid

same here, even though i live on the south side, alot of us still can't get it in some places - not to worry

oh well at least the choice is getting better for others

irishbroadband and irishwisp - we shake your hand :D

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement