Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Value Laptop?

• 31-12-2002 5:57pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,420 ✭✭✭

I'm currently over in the u.s and need a laptop for collage.
    I've been browsing round and have found some great deals, but majourity arent within my budget.
    I was passing a Gateway Country store and decided to go in and have a look, they showed me their 400SP model.
    The specs are
    P4 2.0Ghz
    256DDR
    20GB
    DVD/CD-RW 24x14x24x8
    IEEE USB2.0 & Firewire
    14' TFT Screen.
    1 yr warrenty and 1 year free tech support.
    ATI Mobility Radeon 32MB (Is this as good as the original radeon? (Obviously difference in Ram) )

the whole lot I can get for :
    $1,344 incl Tax and Shipping/Handling.

I'd be collecting it from the store and wouldnt have to pay import taxes in IRE.
    My majour problem is that i Own a business and could normally claim VAT back or TAX. but i dont think i can from here (Tax is 7%)

so is it worth it?

I know aldi are meant to be having a machine come out early next year but what spec and what will be the final price.

Help appriciated.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,237 ✭✭✭GUI

thats an awesome price..

you wont get that price for a laptop in ireland..

go for it ..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

Price won't be matched over here, even after reclaiming VAT etc (you wouldn't get a brick of a laptop with specs like that for a price like that).

sceptre says buy (but then what do I know - the bottom fell out of the evergreen tree market last week for some reason:))

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

Just remember Gateway pulled out of Europe so you wont get warranty or even Tech support over here. They only cover systems bought in Europe over here.

Great price though!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,162 ✭✭✭Quigs Snr

As posted in a recent thread, I got the Compaq 905US for 599 dollars after rebate in Circuit City over there 2 weeks ago. (AhtlonXP1500, 256MB DDR, 30GB HD, DVD, Firewire etc.......).

It also has a Radeon Mobility, not up to much though, You can expect between 1500 and 2000 on 3DMark 2001 SE with it. Which to be fair isn't bad for a laptop. Mine scores about 1650, but can still play a lot of games.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,420 ✭✭✭Doodee

HeHe.
    I didnt get that one :(

I went to another Gateway Country and they said its against store policy to allow you to order a laptop and have it delivered to the store, to prevent the exact thing of ppl having cheaper laptops bought in the us in Europe, instead, I got a better machine in store.
    It has 512DDR instead and a 30GB HD.
    DVD/CD-RW Combo.
    No handling on it either, for the exact same price, and a really sexy screen, and comfy palm rest.

• Advertisement
Advertisement