Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

(1972) uk gov had plan to expel 500,000 Catholics !

Options
  • 01-01-2003 11:58am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭

from Irish Examiner

The British government was seriously considering repartitioning the North in 1972 to create a Protestant state.

Cabinet papers released today under the thirty-year rule also reveal the British government greatly underestimated the loyalist potential for violence.

The Cabinet papers show the then British Prime Minister, Edward Heath, discussed re-drawing the border to hand over parts of Fermanagh and Armagh to the Republic and then removing 500,000 people south. The papers say this would have required a completely ruthless use of force and the idea was scrapped.

They also show that within ten days of Bloody Sunday, a British government official met an IRA man who demanded the end of internment and for London to assume responsibility for security, law and order from Stormont.

The British government at the time underestimated the UDA's potential for violence although it murdered 100 people in 1972. UDA men were joining the British Army but the official response was that the UDA was channelling Protestant energies, which might otherwise have been disruptive, in a constructive and disciplined direction.

What do people think of this ?
    Surely its ethnic cleansing that hitler/milosevic would of been proud of ?
    Thank god the plan was scrapped for humanity sake but the fact that it was seriously considered shows how naeive the uk gov was at the time in dealing with the 'troubles'. :(

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Interesting you highlight this story with a sectarian headline....

Its was obviously an "If all else fails" notion, it would also have meant forcibly moving Prodestants/unionists in the other direction into an enclave.

I wonder would the government down here have gone along with the idea for a second? I doubt it.

Mike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 93 ✭✭rien_du_tout

Doesnt Typedef agree with something like this in principle. The repartitioning part anyway, maybe not the ethnic removal. But it is an example of what the British government were thinking at the time and kinda shows their want for a quick and clean solution which as we've seen isnt going to happen. Some republicans may probably try to use it to say "look what they were going to do to us" but I dont think even if it had been agreed to that it would have been implemented. or maybe it woulda been the spark for ireland to rise up together again?? probably not

seán

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,564 ✭✭✭Typedef

Doesnt Typedef agree with something like this in principle

Doesn't he just. The repartitioning part, not the mass exodus part. Obviously expulsion of 500,000 people from the Northern State would never have worked, but a reworked border is not such an illogical proposition. Tell that to the Northeners though. I suppose when you grow up in a warzone, a siege mentality is all that you can understand and compromise is akin to capitulation.

Lets be real about this, the British & Irish governments were never really the obstacle to peace in Northern Ireland, it was the Northeners themselves, some of whom, don't seem to have moved on from Cromwell, let alone joined the rest of humanity in the 21st century.

Regards
    Brian (my granny was Scots Presbyterian and I work with two English blokes) O'Donoghue.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,483 ✭✭✭✭daveirl

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

Originally posted by daveirl
    Didn't they try the repartitioning thing way back in the 1920's? I thought that's what the Border Commision's intent was. I know the report was never released let alone implemented but wasn't that the intention?
    That was the general idea. And it's the reason Collins et al supported the idea - they were cocksure that at least parts of Derry, Fermanagh and Armagh would be passed to the Free State, leaving the North in a position where it wouldn't be economically viable. In the end the commission recommended only small changes, including passing some of the south back to the statelet.

Everyone decided to sit on the report and forget all about it. Which was probably a good thing given their recommendations.

• Advertisement

Just like it is now! €4.5 billion in subvention per annum.
    Well if we were in the Republic of Ireland to do, what we did in the past 30 years without E.U funds, perhaps, the IMF would have been called in to cope with our impending bankruptcy.
    My view on that point as stated before, would be that the Norths infrastructure has been built up well also in the last 30 years , indeed much better than here in the South.
    The UK's new found liking for regionalisation means that from now on, they are getting E.U funding to invest in regions like NI and Wales, Cornwall and such.

A lot of the UK spending in the North has been, "Troubles" related, ie huge security costs and compensation for bombed out business etc.

This is something thats reducing all the while, that the IRA are on Ceasefire and should that continue,most of the infrastructural funding there, will be EU related in one way or another.
    mm

• Registered Users Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

So much trouble would have been avoided if the Boundry commision had been sorted ;)

How effective would it be to transfer border locations which have a large catholic majority to the republic and vice versa

• Registered Users Posts: 4,222 ✭✭✭Scruff

i remember reading a couple of years back in the Irish Independent how a plan like this was found in the hand of Loyalists and was thought at the time to be their "doomsday plan" it included maps of the areas to be given to the republic, etc. in fact it was the exact same report as the British one.

Was shocked at first when i read it again the other day that it was actually a British government plan and not a Loyalist one. But then remembering all the collusion going on in those days between the Loyalists and the British Army etc i wasn't surprised at all that it would up in Loyalist hands

• Advertisement

It's interesting looking at the UK sometimes.

On the one had you have collusion with Loyalist paramilitaries and on the other hand you have right wing English nationalists like Margeret Thatcher making the Anglo-Irish agreement at the height of the 'troubles' (read war) an agreement which in effect dispels the notion of the UK being the soverign and ultimate power in the six counties, as it give the Republic a 'say' albeit small, in Northern affairs.

For me, I think that the Loyalists in the North, paint a picture that only the most rabid 'mainland' Unionist would agree with and it is only by virute of the fact that the UK is a larger entity then the Republic, that such pressure and international hostility can arise from such a minority view of Anglo-Irish relations.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,314 ✭✭✭Talliesin

The wording is interesting here. The fact that the plan would also have meant the expulsion of a large number of Protestants from the areas that were to be ceded to the Republic is being largely ignored.

One of the other proposals considered by the British Cabinet at the same time was to completely abandon any claim to the North-East and allow a united Irish Republic (indeed that seems to have been the only alternative to direct-rule seriously suggested when Stormont was suspended).

I hate selective reading. It's poor propaganda and completely useless history.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

Another proposal(from Sunday Independent) was if the irish gov of the time did not agree to the partition plan, the way to put pressure on the irish gov was to expel irish workers from uk !!

This idea was eventually dropped because of the logistics involved, like how could they tell if you are irish or not especially if you have an english accent on ya :D

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

Sorry I thought this was relevant until I realised its from 30 years ago.

We should have a history Board I s'pose.

DeV.

Originally posted by DeVore
    Sorry I thought this was relevant until I realised its from 30 years ago.

We should have a history Board I s'pose.

DeV.

Not a bad idea Dev! A forum open to all flamethrowers! ;)

Mike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 gungho

hang on , we are talking about a plan here or more probably one of several possible plans - this never actually happend.
    what did happen however was that after partition the southern statelets prodestant population - and they made up 25% of the population in the south was mysteriously reduced to a mere 3% approx. in a few years.

what happend to em ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,295 ✭✭✭Meh

Originally posted by gungho
    after partition the southern statelets prodestant population - and they made up 25% of the population in the south
    More like 10%. But you're right, there still was a major reduction.
    was mysteriously reduced to a mere 3% approx. in a few years.

what happend to em ?
    There's nothing mysterious about it. One of the major factors in Southern Protestantism's decline was the Catholic Church's Ne Temere decree, which stated that all children of a mixed marriage must be brought up as Catholics. Another important factor was the higher Catholic birth rate, again due to Catholic doctrine. These two factors more than outweighed the higher emigration rate among Catholics in the Republic.

....what did happen however was that after partition the southern statelets prodestant population - and they made up 25% of the population in the south was mysteriously reduced to a mere 3% approx. in a few years.

what happend to em ?

The Catholic Church happened to them, that and lets face it they often did'nt feel welcome in they're own country so left for the US, Canada, Britain, Oz, New Zealand, South Africa...It took more than a few years though.

Mike.

I do not normally look at a thing in the way that I have, to post the following.
    But, Protestants on the whole, were and are treated the same as any other citizen of the "statelet" ROI, free state or whatever.
    Unlike what happened in the North.
    Locally though, there was the influence of the Catholic church, and the famous incident in south Wexford where all protestant business's were boycotted, back in the 50's due to a mixed marriage dispute....
    But it was condemned and eventually stoped.

I'm sure, the protestant population of Iran, is suffering too, in terms of, what way the kids have to be brought up in mixed marriages.

The RC decree mentioned above applied worldwide, but of course it would have had a severe effect, in Ireland, what with young protestant males being seduced by the overwhelming fenian female population:p
    mm

• Advertisement

Did Southern Protestants really have a hard time??? I know the Catholic Church had that rule about kids having to be brought up Catholic, but I know loads of Protestants and they never talk of any discrimination.

Perhaps in the initial days of the state, I don't know.

I suspect many Prodestants felt pressure that may not have been
    there, but then things like the Fethard-on-Sea boycott did happen...

Mike.

well , i only ever worked in dublin for 6 months, ( being from co.down and living in england / canada for 15 years) and out of 12 of us one was a member of the church of ireland . and yep this dude never had no probs. but what he did say was that he never felt able to be , lets say , open about being a prodestant. of course most people assumed he was rc by default.
    also, to hold a civil / government position in the republic ( until quite recently i think ) you had to speak irish - was this not a deliberate attempt top exclude prodestants ?
    im just asking the question people , after all, most traffic on this subject is usually coming from the other direction.

cheers.

this is a point man - i could never resist those irish girls , though they seemed to be well able to resist me - i wonder why.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,404 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Given that, in particular, the (UK) civil service and military had a higher percentage of non-catholics, many of these appear to have left in the period 1911-1926 (whether due to WWI, the War of Independence or wanting to be part of the "mother country").

In practice and in line with other countries (UK in particular), I suspect many people of a protestant background became "No Religion" and maybe "Not Stated" (certainly from the 1960s). I don't have the raw data to analyse.

http://www.cso.ie/text/principalstats/cenrel1.html
    http://www.cso.ie/text/principalstats/cenrel.html
    and they made up 25% of the population in the south was mysteriously reduced to a mere 3% approx. in a few years.
    Perhaps 25% of the island's population?
    also, to hold a civil / government position in the republic ( until quite recently i think ) you had to speak irish - was this not a deliberate attempt top exclude prodestants ?
    this is a non argument as everyone was taught Irish in school. I suspect the rule is still there (not sure) for the civil service itself (probably not for all state agencies, not for semi-state companies and state-funded sector).

ok - i must say you are all very well behaved on this site - well, thats my first impression anyway. but i saw on one thread some guy called a moderator locked the thread for no apparent reason at all - who are these moderators, why do they do that and how can you stand it - its not what im used to on my regular site.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

I think you will find many people here are discriminated against by default because of the 'irish' requirement for any public sector type job, I myself would fall into that category plus many others who were in my leaving cert class all of 10 yrs ago.

For example, the rate of dubliners joining the gardai is very low because of the extremely bad teaching of irish in schools
    Did Southern Protestants really have a hard time??? I know the Catholic Church had that rule about kids having to be brought up Catholic, but I know loads of Protestants and they never talk of any discrimination.

My grandfather was a dubliner protestant who married a catholic, so i guess my birth religion(catholic) was determined by this rule :):)

In response to daveirl point...
    My grandfather was a dubliner protestant who married a catholic, so i guess my birth religion(catholic) was determined by this rule

gurramok, I guess that means your family has been ethnicly cleansed...

Mike.

Originally posted by mike65
    In response to daveirl point...
    gurramok, I guess that means your family has been ethnicly cleansed...

Mike.
    Well, not really, free thinking adults, who have one protestant parent, will always be more aware of that tradition than those, with both parents being catholic.
    It would be open, to any catholic, brought up in this way, to "turn" to protestantism if they so wish.
    And to my Knowledge, the Church of Ireland used give a grant to any catholic that wished to do so.
    mm

• Advertisement

Originally posted by mike65
    I suspect many Prodestants felt pressure that may not have been
    there, but then things like the Fethard-on-Sea boycott did happen...

Mike.

Most of my Anglican or Lutheran (variant (x)) friends are in fact nationalists of some form or another, which is wierd, because if one was to believe nutters like Dr Paisley, Protestants in the South are a besieged and persecuted people.

Ok, so for historic reasons my Anglican/Lutheran (variant (x)) friends would probably be more pro-British or pro-EU then say my Catholic friends, but, that is a generalisation, that is easily invalidated by the first exception to the generalisation that rears it's head.

Douglas Hyde (the first President of Ireland) was Anglican, but moreover was one of the principal exponents of the language revivalists.

In any case 'Relgion' is a handy band wagon, for a 'conflict' that is more about nations and soceities vieing for power and resources, in my admitadly biased opinion.

Advertisement