Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

wired article

Options
  • 01-01-2003 1:30pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 421 ✭✭

i found this article over on wired.com, its about the status of broadband connections in south korea.

my favourite part was:

"Yet like many incumbent operators, Korea Telecom initially felt there wasn't a sufficiently strong home broadband business model. The company tested DSL access with 1,500 users in 1997, but decided it would not get enough subscribers willing to pay the proposed $70 monthly fee.

Only when the No. 2 operator, Hanaro started offering DSL at $38 a month in 1998 -- quickly gaining 200,000 subscribers -- did Korea Telecom reconsider. It now has 4.5 million DSL subscribers"

interesting read.

dw

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,746 ✭✭✭pork99

I'm sure if someone here, UTVip perhaps, offered a 512k DSL package for E40 pm they would piss on eircom

THe esatbt home dsl being E60 pm for 256k is overpriced for what it is and is unlikey to shake things up much I fear

• Registered Users Posts: 14,400 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

UTV can't offer a dsl package at that price cos they have no network this has been discussed to death here that would be half of what utv would have to pay eircom for putting the line in - doesn't really make commercial sense does it.
    the only people who could compete is eshat and bt like the insurance companies etc have decided ireland is there for the taking - no need to compete
    also B in the uk initally halved its interconnect fee when forced by the regulator to do so and then dropped the price again when they saw the take up
    so COmreg its down to you.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,746 ✭✭✭pork99

Originally posted by ednwireland
    so COmreg its down to you.

...deafening silence...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,127 ✭✭✭STaN

what exactly does a company have to pay to eircom to offer to a house... put a dslam in an exchange and pay rent on that... what else

• Registered Users Posts: 14,400 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

I remember the interconnect fee being set at €49 eircom were seriously unhappy at this as they wanted €75 it doesent leave a lot of room (note bt uk €24)
    prices from http://www.lowtax.net/lowtax/html/jirecom.html
    they would also have to pay bandwidth charges to their nearest pop i assume

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 96 ✭✭highlight

The figures quoted are for bitstream. The Local Loop Fee is 16.81 and that's what Esat Bt are offering DSL over

Advertisement