Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hard drive full

Options
  • 01-01-2003 3:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,120 ✭✭✭

I need help with updating my system.(I want to add a new hard drive)

I am running a Pentium 2 450mzh with 384 megs of ram

windows 98 upgraded to windows millennium

at present the hard drive is partitioned into c and d drives with c having 1.99 GB and the d drive having 7.42 .

The problem I have is that there is only 70 MB of space left on the c drive.(800MB free on D)

so what I want to do is get a new drive and copy the contents of d onto it and leave the c drive with the full 10 GB of the original drive.

The c drive is FAT while the d drive is fat32 (does this have any bearing on the matter and if so what can be done) can c be converted to fat 32 without risk to the software ??

at the moment windows is using the d drive as the virtual memory.

any help on the matter would be greatly appreciated

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,483 ✭✭✭✭daveirl

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,120 ✭✭✭John mac

is it ok to change to fat 32? will it do any damage to any software?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,483 ✭✭✭✭daveirl

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

Use the free tool that comes with 98/ME to do the FAT32 conversion. Shortcut should be in Start Menu under Accessories somewhere if I remember rightly (it'll even give you a fairly good estimate of how much space you'll save by doing the deed)

thanks for that I will try it on saturday when i get a few mins:rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 732 ✭✭✭elmer

a fresh install of 98 is always good :). as short term solution you may want to take a look at partition magic and resize the c drive to make it a bit bigger

i can't seem to find the compression utility! I know it was on win 98 but MS must have taken it off win me. just have to buy a drive and a copy of partition majic 8.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 732 ✭✭✭elmer

maybe it just wasn't installed - i don't have me installed but in 98 it's in add remove programs, windows setup, system tools

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,144 ✭✭✭Runfree

If you have nuttin valuble on ure computer and u havn't got partition magic and too lazy to get it(or if you have too much time on your hands) I would go for the long process.

1) Install new HD

2) move contents from D:/ to New HD

3)Remove New HD(well I do have too much free time)

4)Format Computer

5)Install new HD

6)Install all programs necessary

It can take a while but its fun :)
    and another method :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,237 ✭✭✭GUI

upgrade to 2k not me
    save u future hassle :-)

• Advertisement
Advertisement