Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Internet Connection Sharing

• 01-01-2003 5:37pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,467 ✭✭✭

I am running win2k server on my desktop computer, and win2k pro on a laptop. i have broadband, and need to set up internet connection sharing on the LAN. i have two network cards in the desktop and have the broadband and the LAN working ok.

any help on getting the internet connection shared needed

thanks in advance

Kevin

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,146 ✭✭✭Ronan|Raven

To enable the sharing on whatever machine you choose

Start > Settings > Network and Dial UP Connections.
    rightclick on the connection you want to share and goto properties, there should be a tab on the very right called sharing, go in there and check "Enable Internet Connection Sharing" and also check "Dial on Demand" if you wish. You can also go into the Settings button and choose what ya want to allow the connection to do etc. Click apply.

Now after you have done all this you must goto the tcp/ip properties for the LAN connection on the Laptop( I assume the PC is the one thats currently connected to go online) and tell it to "Obtain an IP Address Automatically" apply all the settings and it should all run fine now.

Thats the method ive used for the 2 machines I have here on a miserable 56k :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 539 ✭✭✭Yurmasyurda

If it's 2k server with the broadband, it's a tad more difficult, you need to use the routing and remote access snap in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,467 ✭✭✭Lucifer

Yurmasyurda is right. i had the connection shared before when i had 56k and was running win2k pro on both machines. but now it gets complicated. anyone able to explain how to set up the routing and remote access snap in???

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,146 ✭✭✭Ronan|Raven

Ah ok, my apologies :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 539 ✭✭✭Yurmasyurda

Originally posted by Lucifer
    Yurmasyurda is right. i had the connection shared before when i had 56k and was running win2k pro on both machines. but now it gets complicated. anyone able to explain how to set up the routing and remote access snap in???

Here ya go

http://www.microsoft.com/technet/treeview/default.asp?url=/technet/columns/cableguy/cg0601.asp

It's a bit of a nightmare though, as in if you have any problems say your prayers :D

Second solution would be this

http://www.nat32.com/

• Advertisement
Advertisement