Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Monitor Problem

• 01-01-2003 7:18pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭

Ok, Basically I've messed up my monitor.
    • When I was putting my monitor cable into my Video Card
    • I somehow broke the connection, I think I lost a pin
    • Now I am missing the colour red
    • as if you hadn't pushed the connectiont the whole way in

Normally this would just be replacing the wire, but
    • My Monitor is a Sony AMD-100
    • Its cable does not connect at the back, it is intergrated and goes inside the monitor

So now I've got a couple of options
    • Open up the monitor and see if it isnt intergrated its just that the connection is inside the monitor
    • Try and attach a new connection to the end of the wire, but I'd assume this is really hard due to the sheer amount of connections
    • Hand it in to someone, who hopefully someone could recommend, to get repaired.
    • Its not under Warrenty anymore

Thanks for the help,
    - Dave

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 75 ✭✭Mork

Your Options.

1. Open up the monitor - I'd wouldn't advise you do this as there are very high voltages in there. The tube acts as a high voltage capacitor and holds the voltage for quite some time even when the unit is unplugged.

2. Solder up a new d-sub socket, this is the cheapest option if you are handy with a soldering iron and can get your hands on a pin-out diagram
    Try here

3. Can't help you here as I've never had a problem with a monitor, but someone here should be able to point you in the right direction.

-Mork

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

*bump* in the hopes of someone knowing where to send it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 741 ✭✭✭longword

Originally posted by PHB
    *bump* in the hopes of someone knowing where to send it
    Don't try it yourself. Those cables are a nightmare to work with - three separate embedded coax cables. I had a similar problem earlier this year and sent the thing into Multitech in Parnell Street. They ripped out the old cable and soldered in a new one. I don't recall how much it cost - it was quite a lot, around the €70 mark, but it was a nice 17" trinitron monitor that was otherwise perfect and it would have been a crying shame to dump the thing just for a b0rked cable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

ugh 70 euro :/
    Anyone know anywhere that might do it cheaper, its just one bloody pin like :/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 741 ✭✭✭longword

Originally posted by PHB
    ugh 70 euro :/
    Anyone know anywhere that might do it cheaper, its just one bloody pin like :/
    This is part of the reason why nobody repairs anything any more. Between the cost of labour and insurance it's just not worth it to run a repair shop. The disposable society rolls on...

• Advertisement
Advertisement