Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Are Referees Getting Worse or Better?

• 01-01-2003 11:11pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,147 ✭✭✭

Just something that I thought id post up as after watching the Liverpool - Newcastle game tonight and many other games for other teams over the course of the season. Many of them feel the need to flash the yellow card for absoleutly harmless tackles while letting more severe ones go. It seems to me that football is slowly turning into a "no contact" sport, where any sort of a strong challenge is deemed a booking...

So in short Yes or No.

answers on a postcard. first three out of the hat yada yada

Are Referees Getting Worse or Better? 5 votes

Yes, the standards are getting better
    0% 0 votes
    No, the standards are getting worse
    100% 5 votes

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Refs are'nt getting worse just more attention thanks to Sky Sports cameras, also the "value" of players is such that it would'nt surprise me if the ppl who run the Premiership ar'nt exerting a little pressure on the refs representative body to protect the clubs assets...Standards in the Nationwide League are somewhat different.

Mike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 857 ✭✭✭kamobe

I think it's silly that a player can get booked for bouncing a football in frustration. The ref makes a bad call, player fighting for his place gets annoyed, and bounces the ball. Yellow card? Hardly....

I thought DIAO's sending off was harsh, but he was stupid to go lunging in like that when he was already on a yellow. (Liverpool were sh*te again).

I don't see why they can't consult with TV ala Rugby League. Ref doesn't book Gerard, so some disciplinary committee meets up a month or so later and decides then to punish him. Rather then the ref just looking at it straight away, and sorting the issue then and there. That booking for Diouf is another good example. In fact there were a number of corner calls the ref arsed up. Couldn't the fourth official be given a TV set???

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,066 ✭✭✭BKtje

FIFA dont want a video ref. I think they tried to bring it into the english game but fifa stamped their foot and said no.

Refs have been told what to book people for and what not.
    I think booking players for bouncing a ball outta frustration is complete tosh. A player should only get booked for rash tackles/ consisted fouling. Also for acts of high indiscipline. Not bouncing a bloody ball for knowing hes right.

The least that should be done is at least standardise the refs decesions. Some refs give yellow cards for a badly timed tackle but then dont give it for another badly timed one a little later.

And wtf was the deal with that tackle on zola? not even a free?
    bah

• Closed Accounts Posts: 136 ✭✭fisifan01

I think that it is linesmen who are getting worse if anything. anyone who saw italy`s failure against korea during the world cup would probably agree. Italy scored 3 legitimate goals but they were disallowed because they were deemed 'offside' in which they were not. i watched a sunderland match a couple of months back and kevin phillips was wrongfully accussed of being offside by the ref`s assistant on more of two occasions. maybe certain styles of football are difficult to judge by certain officials.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,092 ✭✭✭Pigman

Originally posted by Ronan|Raven
    Just something that I thought id post up as after watching the Liverpool - Newcastle game answers on a postcard. first three out of the hat yada yada

Definetly! I think that Diao sending off tackle should have been a free out to Liverpool :rolleyes:

I found it the ultimate irony to be in a Dublin pub watching Irish people slating an IRISH born referees for his decisions against a Cameroon/Senegal/whereever-he's-from players tackle on behalf of an English football club.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,147 ✭✭✭Ronan|Raven

Originally posted by Pigman
    Definetly! I think that Diao sending off tackle should have been a free out to Liverpool :rolleyes:

His tackle that got him sent off deserved a yellow card and as a result of his previous card got him an early shower, no one can dispute that, the bit that gets me is the first yellow he recieved for a nothing foul.

The point I was trying to make is the way in which players are getting booked over nothing tackles that warrant a free kick but not in a million years a carding. As kamobe said above players getting booked for slamming the ball down in annoyance or even kicking it away in frustration it is crazy that they get booked for this. It'd be nice to see video replays brought in for some decisions, i.e. penalty decisions etc as there is always a few minutes wasted before a penalty is taken anyway so in this time the 4th official could have a look at it and then inform the referee of what happened.

Advertisement