Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Utv Internet - Off Peak Service

Options
  • 02-01-2003 7:59am
    Registered Users Posts: 620 ✭✭✭

Hi Guys,

I used to have ESAT's NO Limits service but had major probs with them, Been paying a fortune for Eircon Internet access but I have now see UTV internet and am wondering If anyone has any problems or praise for it?

Oh Ya are there any other providers of off peak internet access for a monthly fee in ireland?

tks

neo:confused:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,406 ✭✭✭ando

utvIP = 150 hours off peak a month for €30 (excellent service, only pings are a bit high for gaming, everything else is top notch)

netsmart from esat = 130hours for €30 off peak (dunno bout this)

• Registered Users Posts: 620 ✭✭✭neonitrix

Ando - Thanks for getting back to me with info

I might wait I have been reading good things all night on boards.ie about FRIACO and the quest for cheap internet access. Very interesting reading.

But one thing that I do find appealing about UtV Internet is that since the product was launched sum1 from UtV Internet has been answering questions honestly on the forums.

Why dont we get mcguyver in to fix the whole Ireland Broadband Situation - God knows if he can make a bomb out of: sum thread / sticky tape / chewing club and a mars bar.

Surely he can fix it so we can all download at 10mb a second (Richard Dean Anderson Where Are You????? )

• Closed Accounts Posts: 931 ✭✭✭c0y0te

I used to have a cable connection (128K always on) with cablenet.ie - before chorus bought them out and cancelled the service. Since then I've been back on dialup (56K) and hating every minute.

When UTV came along with their flat rate off peak offerings, I decided to try the "lite" version (30 hours per month, 10.99 euro flat fee) to see how things went.

I've been on that service for approx 3 to 4 months now, and no complaints. Generally connect at 46 to 48K, and even though it might take a few attempts, I don't pay for those calls the way I used to have to with the gits in eircon. Billing is itemised and I even get cheaper local/national calls as a result because when you take this service out with UTV you also move your carrier to them (away from eircon - which is another advantage).

All in all - I'd recommend the service. I'm only using the minimum service (lite/30 hours per month) - but its fine and "does what it says on the blurb". No surprises, no crap.

c0y0te

• Registered Users Posts: 5,406 ✭✭✭ando

Originally posted by neonitrix
    Why dont we get mcguyver in to fix the whole Ireland Broadband Situation - God knows if he can make a bomb out of: sum thread / sticky tape / chewing club and a mars bar

Ah man, that brings me back. I loved that program. That and the A-Team :D

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭Bios

I used utvip with isdn for a few months and found it great for browsing etc, but if you plan to play any games online forget it:mad:

I am now with netsmart and my pings to uk servers has halfed, equal or better than oceanfree dialup :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

I've been with Eircom 3 months now and while it was excellent at the start, in the past month i'm getting constant error codes when I try and dial up, 619 and 629 being most common. This started after an upgrade they made. It's not a problem with my modem or connection as i've reinstalled both, and oceanfree/iol/indigo all work perfectly.

There's also an issue with ebay whereby you can't bid on anything...it brings back a page of broken html. They are aware of this and im sure it'll be fixed....

So it was brilliant at the start...now it's not so good for me but maybe i'm just an unlucky user! Once I do get connected it's fine, i'm only leaving because i'm getting DSL

Advertisement