Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

HELP PLEASE!!!: NCT retest charging to check a lightbulb???

Options
  • 02-01-2003 10:30am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,449 ✭✭✭

I did my NCT just before Christmas and failed because one of my front headlights was not fully lit! Now, I've been told I have to do a retest and pay another e27.50!!! I have replaced the headlamp and it works fine!

The NCT pr***s told me that their computer couldn't pick up any data from my headlight so when I went for the retest I would need to pay the 27.50 because they had to use the mahine again to 'test' it (if they don't require the use of any equipment during the retests it's free).

AM I BEING SCREWED HERE??? Is there any way to get out of paying for the retest?

livEwirE

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,309 ✭✭✭✭Bard

Lots of us are being screwed by the NCT for what seem to be un-necessary re-tests. Unfortunately, there is no way around paying for it, and driving a car that is not NCT approved is illegal.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,676 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

Live wire to be totally honest the NCT are correct.If a bulb is gone- then when you change it the headlamp alignment CAN change although not always.So they do need to use equipment at the retest to check this.
    Thats why they charge for the re-retest.Mind you its all a big money making scam.Ive heard of people paying for a retest of streaky wiper blades,not having their hub caps off at the test,childs buggy left in the boot etc.And its going to get worse.
    Richie

• Registered Users Posts: 5,398 ✭✭✭ando

guys, I was wondering (didnt want to start new topic) would getting new front bumper and headlights have any impact on the Nct coming up at start of 2004? Would I have to bring the car back to factory default for the nct?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,876 ✭✭✭Borzoi

Originally posted by Hellrazer
    Live wire to be totally honest the NCT are correct.If a bulb is gone- then when you change it the headlamp alignment CAN change although not always.So they do need to use equipment at the retest to check this.
    Thats why they charge for the re-retest.Mind you its all a big money making scam.Ive heard of people paying for a retest of streaky wiper blades,not having their hub caps off at the test,childs buggy left in the boot etc.And its going to get worse.
    Richie

As with Hellrazor they are totally correct, bear in mind the guys who work there are just following a script, they don't make any more money off you, the company does.

As for the hub caps, and the boot, these are both clearly stated in the leaflet sent to people with the test date - the hubs must be off (presumably to check the wheel nuts) and the boot must be clear (to check the spare)

Advertisement