Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

a question on networking

Options
  • 02-01-2003 12:26pm
    Hosted Moderators Posts: 3,290 ✭✭✭

I've a question, you might think it's a stupid one but here it goes. Is it possible to use the phone line in a house for netwroking. I've two computers in the house, both using the same phone line to connect to the net. Using the modems is there a way to do it.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,406 ✭✭✭ando

no, well at least I've never heard of it being done. You could possibly setup a Wan if you had 2 phonelines (one for each PC) but it would be a waist of time and resources ... and your money !

If you want to network them, the easiest and cheapest way is to get 2 network cards and a bit of crossover cat5 cable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,701 ✭✭✭Offy

Your phome line uses two of the wires on the cable, which has four wires. A network cable (CAT5) used four wires. It would be possible if you wired your house with CAT5 cable (contains eight wires) but not with standard telephone cable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 741 ✭✭✭longword

Google for HPNA phone networking. It's a standard that shares your in-house telephone wiring to provide fast ethernet-like networking between machines with HPNA cards. You can get 1-10Mbit/sec out of it. You might also like to consider wireless networking with 802.11b.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 3,290 ✭✭✭TomTom

a screw it i'll just but anpther nic and use the cat5. Just thought I'd ask

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

Like longwood sais, it can be done (but IMHO it's not worth the effort given the speed you get from it)

• Advertisement
Advertisement