Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PC Live

Options
  • 13-06-2000 3:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭

Expect a few more curious newbies swelling the ranks here after boards.ie get a mention in the June issue of PC Live in a feature on online gaming with such gems as:
    "Catch the flag continues to be a popular variation on first person shooters"

and

"www.barrysworld.com - an Unreal Tournament site" ???

Playerofgames.com and Spin Solutions also get a mention.

Played.

Comments

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

Yes, there were some "minor" inaccuracies. Actually there were fairly major inaccuracies but the message at least got through.

"Catch the Flag" got a few chuckles around here too...

Tom.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,335 ✭✭✭Cake Fiend

Ah, a variation on the old classic 'Grab the Banner'...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,275 ✭✭✭Shinji

Good Lord, PC Live writing their own content rather than nicking it from a US mag under IDG affiliation, changing the writers name to something vaguely Irish-sounding, and reprinting it as original content?

Will wonders never cease biggrin.gif

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

You write for the opposition don't you Rob...???
    tongue.gif

All the best,

Dav
    @B^)
    My page of stuff

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,275 ✭✭✭Shinji

Yep. Although, I'm easy, I'll write for anyone who pays me, so it isn't exactly brand loyalty (especially given slackness in paying me from a certain quarter recently, bah).

Point is, if a mag is going to position itself as Irish, then the least it could do is hire Irish writers to write content with relevance to Ireland. Even if the facts conveyed are the same in the end, the fact is that rebadging syndicated content written by Americans or English as Irish content frankly stinks. PC Live do it, and the new Official Playstation Magazine "Ireland" does it as well. Which sucks a bit when you realise that there are a whole hell of a lot of top Irish writers and technical experts who would be happy to write unique content with an Irish slant for these magazines. It would just take a little bit of effort to do it right - G4 did it right, The Player did it right, dot.ie does it right, even Web Ireland does it right...

• Advertisement
Advertisement