Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Microsoft ain't so bad....

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 120 ✭✭Adversary

Do you do any background at all to back up your statements? For all you know I could be a Microsoft employee and it could be all smiles and sunshine in my place of work. I could be on of those ****ed up marketing men who cause all the problems for programmers. I could be Bill Gates! eek.gif

Win2000 might have been buggy as hell when the first beta came out but everything I read says it is the most stable operating system ever.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,275 ✭✭✭Shinji

Some interestingly uninformed opinions being demonstrated there by someone so fond of telling everyone else how ignorant and stupid they are.

1) the X-Box is NOT touted as an internet access box. Just because you think it probably is doesn't mean that it is, and I suggest that you verify your facts rather than making things up in your head in future.

2) MS create an implementation of DirectX for the X-Box dev kits. OF COURSE THEY BLOODY WELL DO! It's their standard; MS don't write OpenGL drivers, because that isn't a standard they recognise. Also, OpenGL is NOT inherently superior to DirectX, each has their strengths and weaknesses. I'm personally an fan of developing in OpenGL, mainly for the cross platform thing. It's worth pointing out, however, that the graphics chipset is made by NVIDIA, which means it will probably accept a unified OGL driver. Betcha you see an OpenGL driver for X-Box soon enough, if one doesn't already exist.

3) Your irrational hatred of MS *is* a minority thing. The vast majority of people simply don't give a p1ss about them. Indeed, a lot of people consider them a brand-name to be trusted - if you buy an MS product, you know support for it won't disappear in 2 months time. So the name "Microsoft" on a console is not a bad thing at all - at worst, it won't affect people's buying decisions at all, at best, it will encourage people to buy one, because its from a name they know and trust.

Finally...
    Who the hell is we?
    And this is rich coming from a rank newbie who thinks nintendo are crap and goldeneye was cross platform released .... dope!

If you want to discuss something on this board, you will grow up, stop acting like a petulant 10 year old, and start showing some modicum of respect for the other people here. If I EVER see another post like that from you on this forum, I will remove all your subsequent postings. You wouldn't talk to someone like that in real life, so don't talk to them like that here; or, to summarise, Learn Some Manners.

• Registered Users Posts: 746 ✭✭✭whitetrash

jasus. such a long discussion on such a simple topic confused.gif

dot
    also
    Mapfinger

• Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

G'wan Shinji biggrin.gif

put 'im in his place wink.gif

Originally posted by bugs:
    . I have never and will never like microsoft or anything they do.

I've always hated that kind of attitude. It's as bad as ABUs. I used to hate Newcastle once upon I time but everything changes. To say you will never like anything Microsoft do borders on the insanse.

What is it you think Microsoft are? You can bet their game designers, hardware designers and even OS programmers don't go in to work everyday with the intention of screwing you out of money. People tend to label the company because of it's marketing people, but most of the people there would have nothing to do with policy. Microsoft isn't some big money-hugry machine - it's a bunch of ordinary people just like you and me.

-if it's just for games it's not a PC
    duh. I might have said like a PC but I never said it was a PC

The spec of the X-Box will probably change several times before it's released but last I heard they dropped the internet surfing because it would make it a multi-funtion device. They think making it a multi-function device would remove the simplicity of use.

And they probably want you to buy a PC with Windows2000 to surf the internet.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭bugs

I don't think it was touted as anything , seeing as the thing keeps changing who the hell knows , last time i checked it was being geared for broadband use with alot of stuff.

As for directX , grand, use it in their own machine, i still don't like it as much as openGL.

As for being a minority , this is one thing i won't be told i'm in. Microsoft are despised , whether it be because they have alot of money and ppl hate that or the fact that because they pretty much own a large corner of a omputer market. Either way , there are alot more ppl that will actually give a preference to liking/not liking them.

As for being all nice and chummy , why?
    These are my "opinions" as you have told me, i'm not telling you that you have to take them as you're own , i'm saying that this is what i think will happen. I'm far far from taking this personally, i post due to boredom at work. If you dont like what i post just get a filter for boards just like these and it'll rub out anything i say on you're screen , if that makes you happy!

And as for talking to ppl in real life, ppl like you ? Is there more than one of you , i won't post what the general opinion of you is in the quake community cos no doubt it'd be edited!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,275 ✭✭✭Shinji

lol

You don't need to post that, I'm fully aware of what the 20 or so people who make up the "Quake community" now think of me smile.gif Oddly, I am rather untroubled by this... wink.gif

And on a more serious note, I am a moderator of this board. I've told you to behave yourself. You can moan and whine all you like about it, but that still stands.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 492 ✭✭Pretence

Now now people, al'ight al'ight caaaaaaam down. biggrin.gif

heh heh.

Sorry I'll shut up now biggrin.gifbiggrin.gif

who here dosn't post cos they're bored at work? biggrin.gif

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement