Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Studio-NTL

• 02-01-2003 10:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,054 ✭✭✭

HI.

Anyone know what has happened to The Studio on the digital serves. Off Air with immeadiate effect???.Im begining to wonder if this serves is worth it.

I,ve just checked there web site and its the first channel on there listing. No mention of it going?.
    http://www.ntl.com/locales/ie/en/athome/dtv/go_digital_pack/go_digital_pack.htm

Brian

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Yep, another one bites the dust, Go Digital is less worth the trouble every day...

Mike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 92 ✭✭Jessica

As far as i know, the channel is no longer broadcasting, do not think they had the funds to go on, i may be wrong.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭patrickmooney

As first reported by moi here http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?s=&threadid=74379. Carlton Cinema is next.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

Move to Sky! You know you want to! More channels for less cash :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,054 ✭✭✭NORTH1

Then we can assume that NTL knew the station was closing and didnt pass that information on to its customers......also on the screen it says get the digital package with 100 chanels, what have we at the moment about 35 or so?.

Brian.
    As first reported by moi here http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/show...&threadid=74379. Carlton Cinema is next.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,143 ✭✭✭spongebob

but they say Here on the NTL website that the Basic Pack includes The Studio and I believe them...not you lot.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,542 ✭✭✭JTMan

Originally posted by NORTH1
    Then we can assume that NTL knew the station was closing and didnt pass that information on to its customers......also on the screen it says get the digital package with 100 chanels, what have we at the moment about 35 or so?.

Brian.

35? More like 55.

The Studio was pretty crappy. NTL Digital is still better value than SKY Digital.

Have a look at DigitalSpy.co.uk for coverage of why the Studio went off the air.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭Mountjoy Mugger

Originally posted by Fungus
    NTL Digital is still better value than SKY Digital.

Is that a typo?

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,922 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

Hi guys... sorry hadn't much time to look in on the boards (or update the site) over the past few weeks, hopefully they'll get more of a look in from next week onwards!

Anyway, The Studio... it was a JV of Universal and NTL. It never got carrige outside NTL's network, so ultimately wasn't profitable. Carlton Cinema never got on DSat, and is closing down soon also.

There was a public announcement about two months or so ago, but NTL Ireland may not have been told. In fact, they don't seem to have been told now either - the notice on my screen carries NTL Home branding, alongside details of the UK service. Must get a capture and post on the site. (This seems proof if ever there was that the Irish service's channels are played out from Langley).

I know this is going to sound silly, but could each, NTL region not individually hook up a DVD player and just relay the movies(old as they are) to their customers and pay royalties based on the number of average viewers.
    All they need to use is their info channel, so no extra transmission costs, and no expensive microwave links.

Or would such an innovative approach be too customer friendly?
    mm

• Advertisement
Advertisement