Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Setting up a test server on my home pc with Apache

• 03-01-2003 12:44am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,515 ✭✭✭

i have downloaded apache and php as my site is in php.

My problem is how to do i actually upload files to my own server.

In apache setup it says enter you site details do i enetr my real site info or not?

I really want to be able to say test a new page or something without having to ftp it to my real server.

Where do i copy files etc. do.

I am a newbie in regards to apache.

I have windows Xp and the latest php software installed.

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

My problem is how to do i actually upload files to my own server.

If it's running locally, you don't, you put them in the document root directory of the webserver...

In apache setup it says enter you site details do i enetr my real site info or not?

I haven't used the Windows installer for years, but all I can think of that it would ask for is a program location and a hostname. For the program location "C:\Apache" is probably easiest (for paths and that); for hostname "localhost" is fine.

When Apache is finished installing, choose "Start Apache" from your Start Menu and enter http://localhost/ in your browser. When you're done installing PHP - you should really install it after Apache - you should be able to load PHP scripts, but if not have a look at the installation instruction in the manual.

See how you get on with that.

adam

• Closed Accounts Posts: 112 ✭✭beserker

Why don't ya try "phptriad" or "xitami". They work out of the box and save messing with configs. These would just be for testing stuff tho. search on google for them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,657 ✭✭✭OSiriS

If you have access to broadband go to http://www.3dbuzz.com, register, then download parts 1 and 2 of the mysql/php tutorial, it tells you how to everything you are trying, and much more;) It's a good 300megs though, but the bits you are looking for are covered in the 1st 2 vids, about 55mb.

Advertisement