Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Trek X

• 03-01-2003 12:59am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,042 ✭✭✭

Ok i thought id get the ball rolling on this one. What did ya think of it.

I liked it, though i do have a few gripes but i wont spoil anything here.Ah i dont know how to do spoilers anyway.

But it did remind me a lot of my favroite trek film.
    Yeah you gussed it trek 5 ;p

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

Well, I'm going to go see it tomorrow.
    So I'll let you know.

But I'd say my favorite trek film would be either 6 or 8.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,042 ✭✭✭spooky donkey

Well i was joking about 5 being my favroite film. The only person who thinks that is shattner.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,560 ✭✭✭Woden

went tonight happy enough with it cept for a few points which i will not bring up just yet bar one as i hope it is not a spoiler, will probably head again for the craic

opinions on Shinzon?

must say liked the new warbird and shinzon's ship

anyone notice how they are suddenly back to photon torpedoes what all the quantum's depleted after the war?

and then at one stage the quantum's seem to come back i could swear they ripped a few seconds from first contact when they blow up the borg sphere and the quantum's leave the ship :)

cheap skates

Data

p.s i think 8 is my favourite also

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,155 ✭✭✭Xithus

I thought it was great ! And I can finally play that nemesis add-on for sfc3 I downloaded :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 696 ✭✭✭Kevok

Nah they did use some Quantums.

The Schimitar was VERY nice i thought. As were the new Romulan ships. I would not rank this as my favourite. In order my favourites are: 8, 2, 6 then 10 i'd imagine.

The beginning was very good, slowed down a bit though and built itself up nicely then for the end i thought.

What follows is quite a spoiler, i urge you not to highlight unless you've seen the film. It will ruin the film but is one of my few gripes.
    Data's death pissed me off no end. It was a cheap attempt at provoking an emotional response at little defecit to the franchise. They could have at least left finding 'B4' to the next film. It was a rehash of Trek 2 + 3 and was typical of the 'play it safe' attitude of Berman/Braga.

Tom Hardy was great as Shinzon IMO. He completely stole the film from Stewart. Although he has had no decent acting to do since First Contact anyway. No wonder he wants this to be his last film.

• Advertisement

My god, how dissapointed I was!
    Completely naff plot altogether... Full of holes.

*MAJOR SPOILERS!*
    I mean, what the hell was that rubbish with 'B4'? Did they just completely ignore the plot lines in the series with Lore? Was it Lore in the first place salvaged and reporgrammed? Doesn't make sense at all! Why would they ignore such a major plot-line concerning Data, and basically act like it never even happened the entire film!? Also, the whole 'B4 becoming the new Data' at the end of the film is straight out of an episode of Voyager, where the Doctor's Holo-matrix started to screw-up.

And furthermore...
    Shinzon? What a dreadfully scripted character! I mean, with all his whinging about 'If you'd been through what I have...' Why on earth was he concerned with wiping out earth? Shouldn't he be far more concerned with making the Romulans pay for his suffering? Again, this makes little to no sense. So he comes to power over Romulus? Great, he's got them under his boot. So why the hell is he so bent on the destruction of Earth when he had practically no contact with any humans, yet it was made an extreme point in the film that he was deeply rascist against the Romulans, what with the 'Touch me again, and I'll kill you' remark to Donatra. No ****ing sense at all! Were the writers smoking the leftover chinese food!?

What's more is Shinzon's rise to power over the Reman's... I find this very much in question, but there wasn't even anything on it in the film? A little 2 minute backstory even... I mean, it was made a point in the film that just because he's a clone of Picard, doesn't mean he's the same person, therefor, if I was to assume his rise to power was simply because of Picard's leadership skills, I'd be wrong according to the plot.

I just found the whole thing completely unbeleivable.
    But the thing I really have the most gripe with, is the fact that Shinzon's motives are only vaguely justified with a 'If you've been through this...' Rubbish!

Over all, worst Trek Film I've seen since Generations.

Yeah AW well said i dident want to point out all the bad points though there were a good few i still thought it a good film.

It followed the old fashioned rule of cinema start off slow and finish with a great climax. Too many films these days strat off with a great opening and go down hill after that. Bond being a clasic example.

They did play it too safe though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,092 ✭✭✭Pigman

It was a nice 'roller-coaster' movie but there was nothing really substatial in it and like Insurrection if you'd never seen it you wouldn't have lost out much on the whole 'Star Trek experience'.

But saying that S.T.-Nemesis is probably the second best of the Next Gen Movies (after First Contact) so at least they've managed to keep up the tradition of having even numbered films that are better than the odd entries.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭azezil

I think its the best film i've seen in years, all action maybe moved a little two fast, but still excellent.

already wrote my full review MANY SPOILERS!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 209 ✭✭Johnny Gomez

It was ok at best, it seemed like a standard trek film that didn't try too hard.

• Advertisement

Originally posted by spooky donkey
    Yeah AW well said i dident want to point out all the bad points though there were a good few i still thought it a good film.

I dont think so really. I mean, I'm a pretty big fan of the next gen, and I aboslutely LOVED First Contact, but the film was extremely badly written.

I mean, in First Contact, we had a proper plotline with Data being offered to get what he's been looking for. Picard really did become a danger with his sheer obsession, totally justifying why Star Fleet didn't want him near the Borg in the first place. Nemesis had none of the character or drama. The only thing Picard could muster up that was in any way dramatic was where he half-heartedly said "I wanna know where he came from" regaurding Shinzon.

I also remember how fantastically seemless the special effects were in Contact, yet in Nemesis, they seemed like something off a Sky One produced Sci/fi. Epsecially the part where you see The Scimitar's targeting arms opening up. It's so... Ten years ago.

I'm just really dissapointed with this, as its supposedly to be the last Next Gen film, and it went out on such a low note. I'm equally dissapointed with the fact that that First Contact was the only good ST:NG film.

My god, what a dreadfull end note.
    Even Ingrown Erection was better than this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,163 ✭✭✭✭Boston

completely unoriginal to sat the least. Also the enterprise came across as an extremely faggoty ship all together. Also [PHP]the load of ships 40 minutes way didn't think to themselves, hey what's taking them so long. [/PHP] it was boring, but at least it didn't make me want to throw thinks at the screen, unlike the last, maybe the next one will be something decent, either DS9 or that new yoke

I also thought it rather silly, the fact that when the Scimitar was unfolding it's targetting arms (Jesus, would it really take THAT much to ****ing aim!?) it was just a complete sitting duck, seemingly unable to do anything. Not so much of a huge threat it was made out to be, really...

did anyone think the new warbirds looked similar in size to the enterprise which is unusual considering the older d'deridex class where much larger then the enterprise d and e?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,586 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

A big pile of festering shite.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,088 ✭✭✭BioHazRd

Basically, I'm with AngelWhore on this one - nothing else to be said really. If anyone gives me that dvd as a present, I WILL be exchanging it.

Bio

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭TinCool

Haven't seen it yet myself, but who wrote the script ? Nicholos Meyer ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 193 ✭✭StarScream

the only thing that annoyed me about this was the fact that the romulans seemed so weak. arnt they supposed to be just as strong as the federation yet one powerful ship could take control of the whole empire. and they could only muster 2 measly warbirds to stop him? that needed more explainin
    still enjoyed it though

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,524 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

Agreed StarScream... make it so... engage. (heh couldnt help myself)

Just saw it now, although I was bursting for the toilet half way through it dwindled my attention for it but it wasn't bad. Am forgetting it now though just like Mcdonalds food. Nothing much new there really.

As for the scriptwriters - there were three and one was Data himself - Brent Spiner! maybe that explains a little eh!

Was it me or did anyone else think that the music sucked? It was the same guy that always does it (forgetting his name) but I just thought it... well sorry but... it sucked.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,309 ✭✭✭✭Bard

Originally posted by Gordon

Was it me or did anyone else think that the music sucked? It was the same guy that always does it (forgetting his name) but I just thought it... well sorry but... it sucked.

Jerry Goldsmith I presume...?

Pity, I always thought he was a fairly talented composer. Mind you, I also thought his best work was definitely yet to come...

• Advertisement

yeah it was him

ye Jerry Goldsmith, think I met him once actually. It wasn't his best then, he must have some way to go. He was trying hard to make it a bit more melodious but I don't think it worked.

Anyway, did anyone notice how bad the make up was? Yer man the nemesis' veins were drawn in blue over the raised bits of veins but they didnt match! There were blue lines on his face and also different lines of raisedness, wierd. And the Romulans' ears deffo looked stuck on, there was a very obvious mark where the rubber bits were. Shame really.

darn I'm starting to dislike this movie 24 hours after watching it :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,488 ✭✭✭Goodshape

Saw it last week and liked it. I can't really argue with much of the critisisims here - it was quite flawed, but there were good aspects as well...

...like having the next gen crew back on our screens for one. Better than any TV Trek thesedays.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,309 ✭✭✭✭Bard

Saw this tonight.

All the flaws aside (and there were many... TOO many), I still managed to enjoy the film... but I guess that comes from being a bit of a fan, to be honest.

As for the soundtrack... yes, it was a terribly disappointing mixture - some rehashed old stuff and some pretty poor new stuff. For some of the supposedly quieter and more tense scenes on the Enterprise bridge, it sounded like somebody there (on the bridge) was playing utter crap on a tinny ghetto-blaster in the background.

The writing was poorer than I expected. Certain points were over laboured - seemingly so that the "dumbass" (?) audience wouldn't miss them.
    He's a clone of Picard? No way? You sure? ... wait - remind us seven more times of that and throw in 4 or 5 more reminders that he turned out that way because he "didn't have the right nobby upbringing" etc. etc. ... ...
    B4? ... er... hello? What was wrong with using Lore? ... Oh and as for the Tetriwhatsit radiation... just how long went by between LaForge saying "oh my god! Tetriwhatsit radiation!", the rest of the gang gasping in awe and shock ... and the first mention of what it actually WAS. 3 or 4 people in the cinema at the time could be heard to say "oh... right... THAT... thanks for telling us... *tsk*"

All in all, I was entertained... but only barely... and only because it was Star Trek. It was Picard. It was Data. It was the rest of the Next Gen gang. And you know what? I like them.
    Data didn't have to die! What a badly written way for him to bow out, ffs! ... what was to stop him taking a wee bomb with him to put on "THE WEAPON" when he went diving out into space ? Knowing that Picard was over there, what was to stop him bringing 2 of those people transporter yolkiebobs with him instead of just 'the one he fit into his arm' ? Poor writing there, really. ... oh and he could have had something better than "goodbye" as his final words... seriously...!

I don't know what else to say, really.

The CGI was nice.

No memorable quotes.

Bah.

Yeah, CGI = good, bio-implants = bad.

As for B4, Bard, EXACTLY!! I was in the cinema saying to my mate
    surely it isn't any big surprise to find positronic emmissions. Lore isn't dead is he? Unless meybe Lore died in an episode I haven't seen yet. That B4 thing is so annoying. And it's not like they have the funness of having a new android and the fun of seeing it learn as there will be no more episodes :confused:

Bard, I couldn't agree more.

re: Lore...
    Lore was dismateled and put away in storage in an episode of TNG wasn't he? B4 was just a disgraceful charactor altogether... no need for him at all, bar giving data somewhere to dump his memory before he dies.... but poor old B4 is too dumb to manage... maybe they'll boot up Lore again and do a memory swap.....

It could have been much better with just a few changes here and there.... so many posabilites with a star trek movie, and yet they all too often screw it up :rolleyes:

There's always next time I suppose.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,468 ✭✭✭Lex_Diamonds

BUT! There was a JANEWAY cameo!!! That made it all worthwhile!!!!

/me runs into the distance waving his arms

Bloody janeway anoyed me!
    Stupid cameo.

And on the sound track, hey i never even noticed one!

CGI was real nice though, but then its getting easier and cheaper from to do now a days.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Originally posted by TinCool
    Haven't seen it yet myself, but who wrote the script ? Nicholos Meyer ?

It was a team of three, Brent Spiner being one of them. It just caught my eye as I was wàlking out, so I'm not sure who it was.

• Advertisement

Now Janeway there's a thing... I'm very confused.

Wasn't Voyager after Next Generation? But didn't we see Janeway as an Admiral? Ahhh feckit

the TNG timeline has been running consistently since the show started. The same timeline is used in DS9 and Voyager. Voyager got home at the end of the series... hence, they are 'now' home.

Quite sad really :rolleyes:

Whats sad about it? consistency is good

Oh, I see, fair enough, thanks for clearing that up. I had a feeling there was about one generation between the two series', or even two generations.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

Whats sad about it? consistency is good

and bloody rare in star trek :(

i think they do quite with consistency considering there so much involved in it, writers, producers, etc

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Originally posted by Dataisgod
    i think they do quite with consistency considering there so much involved in it, writers, producers, etc

Me too. I've read through the encylopedia thing (the one made at the end of series 6 of TNG), and they've done pretty well maintaining integrity between the start of TNG and the end of Voyager. A lot of stuff doesn't really add up between the original series and the newer stuff, but then the original series sucked anyway
    /me ducks :p

I'm a bit disappointed that 'Enterprise' seems to be disregarding the history that's already been laid out - Most glaringly that Kirk's Enterprise was the very first Enterprise, and has been mentioned as such many times. But all this meddling with time travel might be a forerunner to setting the facts straight :)

And yes,
    I was disappointed that Lore wasn't even considered when they found a positronic signal. They just accepted this new android as safe, despite their history with Lore? Hmmm... Other than some other things, (like why was he going to destroy all the humans again, they were never very clear......) I thought the film was very good. Seeing as it was co-written by Brent Spiner, he's probably trying to avoid typecasting á la Leonard Nimoy by writing himself out now, otherwise Data would have to be in every Trek movie forever, being immortal an' all :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,438 ✭✭✭TwoShedsJackson

Saw it last night - ridiculous plot but entertaining enough. Plotholes the size of the Titanic, as has been noted at length above.

Why in the hell didn't Shinzon just clone himself and use that clone to regenerate himself or whatever??

Ramming sequence was great, but as for the deployment of the mega weapon - sevn minutes?? 'LOOK OUT SLOW VILLAIN AHEAD!!!'

• Subscribers Posts: 1,911 ✭✭✭Draco

Oh dear god. Mind numbingly boring.
    Definitely the worst trek film. Absolutely no sense of danger, the talky bits were tedious and the space battle not that interesting.

Bah humbug all round.

Got the DVD on monday and watched it again found it enjoyable not the worst TNG film though there is some major issues with it

Got out the DVD last week and saw this for the second time. I agree with Draco, it's boring alright.

I was looking forward to some good Trek action, but it seemed to drag even more on the small screen :( ...it tried too obviously to reuse old proven formulas (from Wrath of Khan and Undiscovered Country in particular) but failed to improve or even meet the standards of thouse films. Very disappointing tbh.

The DVD is worth having a look at though... some of the extra scenes are good - and the ending they didn't use is a thousand times better. There's also some good interviews with the cast and crew.. Patrick Stewart seems as disappointed with the finished film as the rest of us, and director Stuart Bard doesn't seem to really care about Star Trek at all.

I really hope they pull it out of the bag with another TNG film..
    maybe they could bring Data back in a 'Metamorphosis' (v. good TNG book) inspired story
    ... cant see it happening though :(

• Advertisement

well still better than the last trek outing!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,216 ✭✭✭✭monkeyfudge

I watched this last night on one of the movie channels.

It's pretty terrible. I'd have to say it's the worst Star Trek film ever made. At least Star Trek 5 had some of the great banter between the main characters.

The crew in this film all seemed to be slightly out of character. And far too much time was given over to an extremely boring villian.

There is no real point in me going over all the bad points, as most of them have been mentioned here already.

I did find this though:

http://www.stardestroyer.net/Nemesis/Pictorial-1.html

It's a rather amusing pictorial plot synopsis.

Dragging up year old threads makes baby jesus cry, monkeyfudge.

But yes, it's pish.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,216 ✭✭✭✭monkeyfudge

I just didn't think it was worthy of a new thread....

Yeah, but if you made a new thread, I could have another rant about the film. As it is, my points about the overwhelming stupidity of the film have been made quite eloquently on this thread already. Last year.

Advertisement