Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eircom and splitting lines

Options
  • 03-01-2003 1:17am
    Registered Users Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭

If you have a suspiction that eircom have split your line, is there anyway to get them to 'unsplit' it and give you a proper line (for internet usage)?. What is the law on this?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,025 ✭✭✭yellum

/me awaits Muck

• Registered Users Posts: 5,338 ✭✭✭Frank Grimes

Originally posted by yellum
    /me awaits Muck

Beat me to it :)

dempseyt, do a search here or on the IrelandOffline board, there's been loads of posts on it (search for DACs or carrier lines too).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,143 ✭✭✭spongebob

was when boards member kennett brought it up, search for his posts in the past 3 or 4 months

it comes up for animated discussion about once a month in here or in the irelandoffline forum

• Registered Users Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭Dempsey

I didn't realise that people have 'discussed' this elsewhere. By the sounds of it you are sick of talking about it:D

dacs pairgain splitter

carrier line

all the same.

what is your prob location exactly?

• Advertisement

No my line but a friends. Its Tipperary.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

The fact is, splitting lines is ILLEGAL and has been since I think April 2002. I'd ring Eircom and let them know that you're well aware they've broken the law by splitting the line and that you'd have no qualms involving the press if they refuse to restore your line to its original state.

I would go freakin' MENTAL if they pulled that stunt on my line :0D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,471 ✭✭✭elexes

yep do the following
    they dont like sending out the tecky but this works and has worked for 15 other ppl that have come into the shop asking me about this very same problom

1 ring eircom tec support/line fault ppl
    2 once on hold walk away for about 45 mins have a bit of dinner n some other stuff
    3 once you finaly get to talk to a person tell them your having probloms sending fax's from your home and you need it for your home business . you have had the guy who sold you the fax look at it and its working fine in your office ( engage waffl mode hear )

firstly they will try and get you to sign up to eircom " hi-speed"
    id recomend it as isdn is mutch better then a 56k .but tell them no you just need to use the fax every once in a while

after a bit they will agree to send out a tecky to look at the line he will install a "filter" and that should fix your line . you dont need to be in the house at the time as he dosnt have to enter your house to do the work

all else fails tell etho

• Registered Users Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

Originally posted by elexes
    all else fails tell etho

I'll sort em out with fisticuffs!

• Registered Users Posts: 696 ✭✭✭Kevok

I got mine unsplit 2 weeks ago. All it took was the entire road to lose telephone services. And when the engineer came to test the lines i said: "I have broadband now, take the box away and cancel the second line."

He did it. And i tested the line that was left. 52000kbs or there abouts. I wonder if they miss the 300 - 400 euro bi-monthly cheque they were getting.

• Advertisement

Originally posted by Kevok

He did it. And i tested the line that was left. 52000kbs or there abouts.

Please say that connection speed is a typing mistake. :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,718 ✭✭✭SkepticOne

Originally posted by Kevok
    I got mine unsplit 2 weeks ago. All it took was the entire road to lose telephone services.
    I presume this was accidental. :)

Originally posted by dempseyt
    Please say that connection speed is a typing mistake. :p

52-54k is possible but ONLY if the analogue to digital conversion is carried out on your own premises and not down in the Eircom exchange.

It would be expected on the Analougue port on a Hi-Speed ISDN box for example because the conversion to digital is carried out by the box.

I saw 53.3k when plugged into an analogue port on a Nortel Meridian and 54.6k (ISTR) off a Nitsuko.

M

• Closed Accounts Posts: 395 ✭✭albertw

Originally posted by eth0_
    The fact is, splitting lines is ILLEGAL and has been since I think April 2002.

My connection speeds have dropped from 47000 to about 32000 since Decmber 20th last. Heres the response I got from the ODTR/CCR about splitting:

Contrary to the statement in your mail, this practice [line splitting] is not illegal and eircom are not breaking any legislation by continuing to provide a telephone line to new customers by splitting existing customer telephone lines. As the Universal Service Provider, eircom have certain licence conditions they must fulfil. eircom must endeavour to provide a fixed telephone line, adequate for voice telephony, to all reasonable requests. There is no legislation preventing eircom from providing such access through splitting existing customer lines.

Interesting...

~Al

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

that is the exact same response i got from COMREG today. so what's going on

There is no legislation. There is a binding agreement between
    Eircom+Odtr+Other Operators on installed Copper Management known as the CLFMP which is Here in PDF.

The relevant section (section 7 page 16) states that LEGACY systems need not be removed. It also states that new ones my not be deployed as from April 2002 unless it is reasonable to do so. Eircom did not demonstrate why it was reasonable in this case so we must assume it was arbitrary and capricious (unreasonable in other words) to knowingly degrade you line and continue to charge you full rate for this inferior service.

Section 7 of the CLFMP states

"Systems in service...... will be tolerated as long as they do not cause interference with compliant systems"

That happened to you Albert, your compliant system was interfered with, so you should name and shame the Comreg muppet who stated otherwise. While the CLFMP is not legislation it has the same status in this case.

Eircom are not obliged to remove them from pre April 2002 installs.

Comreg spent a furtune on this OVUM consultants report in September (zipped pdf 500k), well worth a read as its not too technical (and its free). On page 44 of the expensive consultants report COMMISSIONED by the ODTR as it then was you will find the following statement on pairgains

"Eircom may not deploy these systems"

If this was wrong in September 2002, why did the ODTR/Comreg publish the report?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,529 ✭✭✭zynaps

How frustrating... imagine having one line, on which you got 52kbps connections, and decided to have a second line put in, wherupon you noticed you could suddenly only get 24k on each.

Knackers were charging people for two lines, when all they had was one, split into two little poxy ones...

*stab*

zynaps

• Registered Users Posts: 3,886 ✭✭✭cgarvey

Is it not reasonable to deplay DACS on a line when there are no other lines available? I.e. without it a customer would not be able to get a line?

I'm sure "reasonable" could be stretched further too. So that any remote location or urban location with a busy/full local exchange could continue to use DACS and "be reasonable".. i.e. little or no change?

.cg

if the demand for that line could 'reasonably' have been been forecast in that area 2 years ago then there would have been enough time to run more copper in the interim.

therefore it would NOW be unreasonable to use a pairgain.

If the road along which the wires ran had fallen into the sea and the council still hadn't fixed it up during the past 2 years then it would be Reasonable to use a pairgain.

It depends on circumstances all right, but the excaptional is just that. I object to the use of technology , intended to deal with short term exceptional problems , as a long term 'solution' in Eircoms eyes. So do the other carriers in Ireland and so does Comreg at their behest.

M

• Registered Users Posts: 2,633 ✭✭✭stormkeeper

Originally posted by albertw
    My connection speeds have dropped from 47000 to about 32000 since Decmber 20th last. Heres the response I got from the ODTR/CCR about splitting:

Contrary to the statement in your mail, this practice [line splitting] is not illegal and eircom are not breaking any legislation by continuing to provide a telephone line to new customers by splitting existing customer telephone lines. As the Universal Service Provider, eircom have certain licence conditions they must fulfil. eircom must endeavour to provide a fixed telephone line, adequate for voice telephony, to all reasonable requests. There is no legislation preventing eircom from providing such access through splitting existing customer lines.

Interesting...

Erm... Why do I suddenly feel faint? :/ :eek:

I'm beginning to wonder if my letter will work now...

Edit: Then again, this splitter has caused massive interferance with the phone line, up to an almost useless state for internet services. If I get this letter, the ComReg can expect a reply... I'm not standing for having to pay for Mis-Dialled Internet numbers... It is a farce in this day and age to have to do so, in this supposed E-Hub of Europe. C'mon people... Get your act together!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,529 ✭✭✭zynaps

Originally posted by Muck
    I object to the use of technology , intended to deal with short term exceptional problems , as a long term 'solution'
    quick-and-dirty
    <jargon, programming> Describes a crock put together under time or user pressure. Used especially when you want to convey that you think the fast way might lead to trouble further down the road. "I can have a quick-and-dirty fix in place tonight, but I'll have to rewrite the whole module to solve the underlying design problem."

See also kluge.

[Jargon File]

(eircom seem to have forgotten the last part of this - a temporary fix should be replaced with a robust, permanent solution soon, rather than merely left as the working answer)
    zynaps

• Closed Accounts Posts: 96 ✭✭highlight

The only way you can expect this to change - respond to the USO consultation.

And I do know what I'm talking about, I know the author of the
    Copper Loop Frequency Management Plan. There's nothing illegal about pair gains.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭phaxx

Oh.

I suspect my line has been split in the past month, speeds used to be 5.0k-5.2k, very reliable, and for the last month it's been all over the place between 2.5k and 3.5k, tried a few different ISPs. (nolimits usually)

Can anyone spell out clearly what my options are? Other than Esat's DSL, which we just can't afford.

One interesting point is that I'm across the road from the exchange - lazy engineers unwilling to run a new 30m cable? :P

• Registered Users Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭PiE

If they split it in the past month it'd be illegal.

Dunno how you could find out for sure if it's split tho, I doubt Eircom would come out and admit it.

Maybe email ComReg and ask them what you should do.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,148 ✭✭✭✭Lemming

Originally posted by phaxx
    Oh.

I suspect my line has been split in the past month, speeds used to be 5.0k-5.2k, very reliable, and for the last month it's been all over the place between 2.5k and 3.5k, tried a few different ISPs. (nolimits usually)

I'm in a similar position it would seem. My line, since the start of Jan, has been up and down (more down) like a muppet on a pogo-stick and constantly dropping connections too.

Where I used to consistently connect at anywhere from 44 - 49.3 kbps, I'm now seeing sub 40kbps speeds. Although right now I seem to be connected at 45.3kbps. I'm sorely tempted to go with either irish-wisp or ibb and telling eircom to go f*ck.

However I might also mention that this seems to happen every 6/7/8 months or so for me usually lasting about 2 weeks. Me thinks its that smelly f*cking rat again :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 96 ✭✭highlight

Absolutely true. If eircom cannot provide a line without a pairgain device they can use one. No problems.

The Copper Loop Frequency Management Plan relates to lines requested for Local Loop Unbundling.

Originally posted by highlight
    The only way you can expect this to change - respond to the USO consultation.

And I do know what I'm talking about, I know the author of the
    Copper Loop Frequency Management Plan. There's nothing illegal about pair gains.

Point 1, absolutely correct.

Point 2, does yer man work for Eircom?

If he works for Eircom then I am sure he has HIS understanding of what it means. The Other carriers have theirs and Comreg has yet another viewpoint. The CLFMP is a synthesised (industry best practise) document and not a Directive from Comreg.

Note what Ovum said about pairgains in September, they simply said that they 'may not' be deployed anymore.

I agree that pairgains in exceptional circumstances are not illegal, say where a new house is built BEYOND the last house on a road.

If you can reasonably demonstrate that Eircom had adequate forewarning of the likely demand for Copper in a given area then the pairgain is illegal. You should also be entitled to information when a pairgain is deployed in the area as it is normally a precursor to further deterioration of the Copper plant in the neighbourhood.

M

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,478 ✭✭✭tribble

Eircom Engineers tried to install a Pair Gain system in my house after I ordered a new analogue line.

They couldn't because they had no access to the original termination box. Or rather i told them them that I had buied it under concrete.

October : The engineer shook his head and went away to do some tests.

November : Sends out contracters who make lots of noise and burrow new cable under my garden with a 'GrundMaster'(spelling?). Only we tell the contractors to put the new line in over yonder (near the neighbours) so can remove their ugly phone cables from the front of our house. This would involve no extra work for eircom just a few extra minute down 'the hole'.

November2 : Eircom Engineer comes back. Sees our modifications to his plans, shakes his head and goes away again.

November3 : Different Engineer - Takes one look decides it's all too much and goes away.

November3 : Another Engineer. Sits in van for an hour and drives off.

December : Nothing

January : 2 teams of engineers decide to tackle the 'problem' - after much tea and ass scratching they do the work in just over an hour. Well nearly all the work. Seems that they're 'outdoors' engineers and won't do the 'inside work'.

January2 : Still waiting on engineer to connect copper pair to the pre-wired and beautifuly terminated box on the wall just inside the garage.

Anyway - Moral of the story is if you only give them one option they will have to follow it. DO NOT GIVE THEM ACCESS TO THE TERMINATION BOX IF YOU ORDER A NEW ANALOGUE LINE.
    That's the first box inside your house that all the rest connect to.

tribble

• Registered Users Posts: 2,127 ✭✭✭STaN

Originally posted by tribble
    Eircom Engineers tried to install a Pair Gain system in my house after I ordered a new analogue line.

Anyway - Moral of the story is if you only give them one option they will have to follow it. DO NOT GIVE THEM ACCESS TO THE TERMINATION BOX IF YOU ORDER A NEW ANALOGUE LINE.
    That's the first box inside your house that all the rest connect to.

What is a Pair Gain? And how is it bad?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,718 ✭✭✭SkepticOne

Originally posted by STaN
    What is a Pair Gain? And how is it bad?
    It is a way of creating two 'virtual' phone lines out of one physical copper pair going into the exchange. Saves money for the telco and works for OK voice, but prevents data transfer at all but neanderthal rates.

Advertisement