Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

burnt out allready?

Options
  • 03-01-2003 3:45am
    Registered Users Posts: 4,946 ✭✭✭

i got a p2, 2.4gig laptop with a radeon grfxcard for christmas. I have used it for nothing more than playing counter-strike and some video editing so far...

In my old p2, 350 i had a geforce32mb ddr and it burnt out, walls became blue and the colour scheme was all wrong on the machine... Im getting this with my radeon now and its only been a week! the fan is going mental and a hear a breeze every miniut. The machine is elevated so as more air can get into and around it and yet the card seems to be failing. Its crashing every 10 minz too and there has been no tweaking involved at all.

Can anyone help me on this matter?

reD.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,287 ✭✭✭vac

Try installing a different game, see if it still crashes/gives colour disfiguration after an hour or so.

Could be just dodgy cs/cs setting, unless its crashing in windows aswell..

• Registered Users Posts: 732 ✭✭✭elmer

at 2.4 ghz is it using a desktop cpu ? - this would explain why the fan has to keep going but it shouldn't be a problem :)

• Registered Users Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

Elmer, he said it's a laptop.

I had a big post typed out ehre based on the assumption it was a desktop.

After re-reading your post here's my advice.
    Bring it back. Now.
    No point fúcking about with it if you can just have it replaced.

That sounds like classic arteficing from overheating.
    The thing was obviously badly designed from a thermal viewpoint.
    What radeon chipst is in it?
    Is the air by the outlet vent very hot to the touch?
    You could try getting a thermometer and holding it by the opening to get a rough measure of the temp.
    it shouldn't be much over 60*C.
    Is the bottom very hot?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,946 ✭✭✭red_ice

Originally posted by SyxPak
    That sounds like classic arteficing from overheating.
    The thing was obviously badly designed from a thermal viewpoint.
    What radeon chipst is in it?
    Is the air by the outlet vent very hot to the touch?
    You could try getting a thermometer and holding it by the opening to get a rough measure of the temp.
    it shouldn't be much over 60*C.
    Is the bottom very hot?

its an ATI Mobility radeon 7500 32mb
    im not sure what your definition of hot is. Its a nice warm breeze though. I dont think i have a thermometer :/
    the bottom gets rather hot, its discomforting actually.. as i said before, i try to elevate it so as air can get at it from underneth..

reD.

ps. sorry i made you think it was a desktop

• Registered Users Posts: 8,718 ✭✭✭Matt Simis

Originally posted by SyxPak
    Elmer, he said it's a laptop.

I had a big post typed out ehre based on the assumption it was a desktop.

I think Elmer was questioning was the laptop using a P4-M or a desktop P4 in a laptop, which the cheaper laptops do. Obviously the P4-M runs much cooler which is why Intel advocates them.

I think its rather odd that you are getting the same effect on two different systems.

As VacilatoR suggested, a very simple test would be to run another 3D program, such as 3DMark 2001. If you see no problems, then its the game.

Matt

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,471 ✭✭✭elexes

im guessing your using this laptop now ? if so whats this page look like ? is it all normal ? if not i bet u got a comcrap r a sony ? if its a sony ring them direct they will take it off your hands and have it back to you in 2 weeks . as for the other good luck

• Registered Users Posts: 732 ✭✭✭elmer

yep matt that's exactly what i meant - discomfortingly warm sounds a bit excessive though. the cpu wouldn't burn out it'd slow but the graphics chipset i'm sure doesn't have that option

Advertisement