Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Did they get smaller, or did I get bigger?

• 03-01-2003 12:11pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 931 ✭✭✭

A bit of an old chesnut this one, but a valid one I think.

Are crisps and sweets getting progressively smaller and crappier over time, or is it just my recollection being warped through the rose-tinted spectacles with which I view my youth?

In the case of some items, it's an irrefutable fact that the modern version is a feeble, tiny shadow of its yesteryear equivalent. Take 'Frosties' for example. Buoyed by the news (in another thread) that these beauties were still available, I went to a sweet shop and purchased a packet. I was horrified by the miserable proportions of the modern Frostie!

With other items, I'm not quite so sure though. The conspiracy theories bandied around when Marathon became Snickers became almost X-Files in their ludicrosity. But what about Wotsits and Monster Munch? I'm almost certain that they became 'diddier' at some point.

What do you reckon, guys? Can any of you provide proof that junk food nostalgia is being exploited by Corporations interested only in maximising their profits?

(Keep it tongue-in-cheek;) )

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,754 ✭✭✭Big Chief

although this has been known for years...

Micro Chips ! :mad:

when these first came out we used to buy them all the time, as it would be a packful of chips, now your lucky if you can count 8 chips in the whole box...

really is scandalous tbh...

i remember that really cheesing me off as they were great to start with, when they got to be a bigger company it generally decreased and about a year / 2years back it was almost laughable what they were trying to fob us off with, 3 boxes now is what 1 used to be, and no im not kidding, i bought a 4 pack to test a couple of years ago and i could fit 3 "boxes" into the 1 box, and thats what the 1 box used to look like when they first came out...

DOWN WITH MICRO-CHIPS I TELLS YA! ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Crisp packets certainly seem to have an excess of air in them these days...and polo mints seem to melt away quicker.

Mike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,276 ✭✭✭damnyanks

Most cheapish things did get smaller, curly wurlys, refresher bars and lots more!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,590 ✭✭✭lordsippa

This thread was so disappointing after the title. :p

Yeah... stuff is getting crappier and smaller. I'm still young and i'm shocked by how much more expensive things are, and yet how much smaller and worse they are.

ESPECIALLY sweets.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,503 ✭✭✭Makaveli

The thing is with Monster Munch, they are now called Mighty Munch because Walkers own the name Monster Munch and now Walkers are selling in Ireland so Tayto had to change the name.
    I think Mighty Munch are pretty much the same as Monster Munch of old though. The packet has changed and well there is no cyclops on the back of the pack anymore but other than that they seem grand.

Chewits on the other hand have gone from 20p to 50c. :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,572 Mod ✭✭✭✭Robbo

I think Mighty Munch are pretty much the same as Monster Munch of old though.

Initially, when the Tayto ones became Mighty Munch, they stayed the same. Now, however, they've changed the recipe slightly as far as I can tell...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭TinCool

Don't care what anyone says but cadbury's cream eggs have definitely gotten smaller over the past 10 years.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 931 ✭✭✭ozpass

I'm also fairly certain that the 'cream' in Cadbury's Cream Eggs has gotten drier too. It used to be really 'gooey' and now it's more like fondant.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,280 ✭✭✭regi

cyclops on the back of the pack

monster munch - did they only _ever_ have a cyclops on the back?
    Did anyone ever see a different monster on a pack?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,872 ✭✭✭segadreamcast

Originally posted by Regi

Yeah - we got the impression that there were several if I'm not mistaken...

It seems as though Creme Eggs have become more fondant than whatever they previously were... but I disagree somewhat on them becoming smaller - I think it is a case of us becoming bigger.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

Originally posted by Regi

I (once) saw a second one. Many moons ago.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,348 ✭✭✭Ryo Hazuki

The cadburys cream eggs are still soft on the inside, it depends on how old they are.

Fresh ones that are just put on display in the shop are always better.

Advertisement