Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Foie gras

Options
  • 03-01-2003 2:29pm
    Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 3,129 ✭✭✭

This is a long shot I know...

Does anyone know where I can purchase fresh foie gras in Dublin?
    I can get my hands on foie gras blocks (in a tin) no problem, but I have a few recipes I want to do which really demand fresh.
    And unfortunately, I can't justify flying to Paris for a one day shopping trip for a dinner party.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,479 ✭✭✭Kell

You could try Sheridans Cheesemongers in Sth Ann Street down from Keoghs on the corner. If they dont have it they will certainly be able to tell you where you can get it. A mate works there and usually has no trouble sourcing it, but alas, I cant give you his name. The girls in there are drop dead gorgeous as well which is an added bonus.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,994 ✭✭✭ambro25

Longer shot still, but... did you ever find some, Samson? in Dublin? I have my Mum's recipe to try, which we tried at Xmas and was abso-f***ingly gorgeous - but need to prepare from fresh, not yet cooked.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 42,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beruthiel

ambro25 wrote:
    Longer shot still, but... did you ever find some, Samson? in Dublin? I have my Mum's recipe to try, which we tried at Xmas and was abso-f***ingly gorgeous - but need to prepare from fresh, not yet cooked.

I believe that the restaurant the French Paradox makes their own, you have to order it in advance as they only make a small amount

The French Paradox, 01 660 4068. 53 Shelbourne Road Ballsbridge, Dublin 4.

Merci, oh-so-beaucoup very much.

(I'm not worthy, I'm not worthy, I'm not worthy, I'm not worthy, etc... ;) ).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,733 ✭✭✭Blub2k4

Any chance you could post the recipe here, I'd be very interested in seeing what you do with it, cheers.

• Advertisement

Mmm... don't know...family secrets and all that ;)

How about we trade one for one? We can start with a few simple (but original) ones and build it up? Take your pick from:
    _Pommes de Terre Lorraines
    _Tiger Prawn & Scallop Warm Salad
    _L'amant Parfait (Champagne Cocktail)
    _Filet Mignon in a Mustard & Shallot Sauce with rice
    (but don't ask about the foie gras just yet :p )

UPDATE - tried Sheridan's last Saturday. There ain't gonna be any more foie gras for a while, their supplier passed away, bless him...

Merci Beruthiel... Paradox, c'est du tout bon!

I'll be giving it a try Saturday night. Critic will be posted here thereafter, for any interested foie gras connaisseurs out there...

• Subscribers Posts: 3,704 ✭✭✭TCP/IP

could somebody PM some foie gras recipes i love it, I had the best foie gras outside paris the other night in shannons on the green
    ummmmmmmmmmmmmm

Can you source uncooked in Dublin? If you can, I may have smthing for you ;)

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 3,704 ✭✭✭TCP/IP

yes i can get it i think should not be a problem have a few contacts

Foie Gras by The French Paradox, reporting -

€120 per kilo, which is about middle-of-the-road, considering the rarity of the item and the fact that this is Dublin, after all :D

Sold as a bloc cut off from the main terrine based upon seatings/number of guests, the chef (Michael) will mark out the bloc with faint lines indicating where to slice, which is advantageous for novices.

It was very, very good - one of the better ones, definitely. About 7,5 out of 10.

Marginally more 'veiny' than finer ones I've had, which can off-put first timers, but seasoning was on-the-spot (despite the fact that it was not truffled). I served it with a corsican muscat & toasted brioche rather than toast, it was per-fect.

So big up to Michael at the French Paradox & Beruthiel for the tip.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 Shivv

Have you tried the food hall in the Avoca shop on Suffolk street - they have it in there frozen sometimes... And its proper Fois Gras - not a pate made with it.... its slices from the liver... Its very good!

Shivv wrote:
    Have you tried the food hall in the Avoca shop on Suffolk street
    No, but I'll look it up next time around, thanks.
    Shivv wrote:
    they have it in there frozen sometimes...
    :eek: Sacrilege! Pagans!
    Shivv wrote:
    And its proper Fois Gras - not a pate made with it.... its slices from the liver... Its very good!

I'd never dream of ordering, buying or eating a 'hybrid'... If it's Foie Gras, it is Foie Gras, else it's pâté or a misdescription - I don't misdescribe ;)

If you alluded to me describing the chef "cutting a bloc from the terrine", true, you may have been induced in error by my vocabulary - a terrine (to me) is the recipient (e.g. pot, dish, etc.) in which the (cooked) liver is put and stored after the cooking operation. :)

Nothing so personal... just a reference to the amount of times you see the mistake made...

I don't think theres anything wrong with the "hybrids" to use your term... Sometimes I think they're pretty good - Had one in Le Mer Zou recently and it was excellent....

Don't think I was personal, was I? If you felt I was, my sincere apologies :)

I'm OK with hybrid too, just occasionally very angered by people trying to pass one off for the other (attempting to justify what they charge for same).

Yep... I know what you mean exactly :)

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭dochara

Do you have even the slightest idea of the barbaric cruelty involved in producing Foie Gras? You should be ashamed of yourself for even considering supporting such sadistic cruelty. :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭dochara

ambro25 wrote: »
    UPDATE - tried Sheridan's last Saturday. There ain't gonna be any more foie gras for a while, their supplier passed away, bless him...

'Bless him' for his sadistic, barbaric cruelty.:(

• Registered Users Posts: 4,067 ✭✭✭afatbollix

Ya but it tastes sooooooo good.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

Please do not drag up ancient threads.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,778 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

You dug up an 8yo thread to scold posters for eating fois gras? A bit late don't you think?

If you have issues with fois gras - take it up in an appropriate forum - not here. Here we discuss our love of food and drink & not the ethics of animal husbandry.

Closed.

tHB

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement