Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

SNK......dead noooooooooooooooooooo

Options
  • 12-06-2000 5:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭

Finally happened , SNK bit the big one and all business outside of japan has stopped.
    For those of you who don't know who they are. They're a japanese software/hardware developer that have been going (on basically the same hardware) since 1990. They hoped to keep selling in japan but the producers and coders of KOF ( king of fighters , its most lucritive game ) have decided to start their own company, which is good news.

Had to be said , it was eventually going to happen , you still cant get a neo geo home gold system for less than 600 quid new and the carts still cost 200+ even tho the price of ram is tiny compared to the price in 1990.

For those of you privileged to have played metal slug 3 , thats their last game, restricted to pre-orders only so its unlikely it'll ever be dumped for neorage.
    Death of a great system ( cant say much for the neo geo pocket but i owned one , it was ok )

This will probably cause the price of the home system to fu<king skyrocket , meaning i'll never be rich enough to buy one with metal slug 3 and kof'99. Have to live with the roms smile.gif

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,275 ✭✭✭Shinji

SNK decided that since the NGPC is the only system they were actually selling any of in the west, they should base all business around it. The GBC is outselling it atm, and the GBA will trample all over it at Christmas, so they're cutting their losses early frown.gif

SNK need to go back to software dev for one of the big console makers, and stuff the NeoGeo hardware platform. SNK developing for Sega would be kinda sweet... smile.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 127 ✭✭Noel Brady

The Neo Geo Pocket is an alright machine but it never stood a chance against Pikachu and his bothersome little pals.

I just feel sorry for the people who dished out the cash for the new handheld. It is going to be mighty tough to get hold of games now.

Noel Brady www.game-ireland.com

• Registered Users Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭TinCool

You say you have the roms for ms3 ? You're not referring to their 3rd release of MS which was more of less a remake of the 2nd one ?

[This message has been edited by TinCool (edited 13-06-2000).]

• Registered Users Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭bugs

I'm not refering to any roms at all. Metal slug three has the same encryption that mark of the wolves has. Ppl in the emu scene are doing the same thing again , trying to find a beta of the game which wont be protected , they hope.
    I was saying that i played the MVS cart on a friends gold system.
    Its metal slug so you know its damn cool, same kinda gfx , same kinda music and all that made 1,2 and X ( even tho X and 2 are almost identical ), still if its ever dumped, download it , believe me its worth it.

Actually, rather that feeling sorry for people who bought an NGPC, I'm quite tempted to pick one up now, since who knows what availability will be like once they do pull out. There are some damn good games for the little fella, and no doubt you'll be able to pick them up for next to nothing in bargain bins before long.

• Advertisement

I picked one up in game last week , second hand , 30 quid, got metal slug 1st mission , metal slug 2nd mission and SNK Vs. Capcom.
    There isnt a hell of alot more but the batteries last for ages , the display is nice and sharp , its good fun basically.

Yeah, technically it beats the pants off the GBC. Battery life in it rules.

*cough* You missed out on Sonic for the NGPC too smile.gif Sonic 1 & 2 on one cart, reproduced perfectly. How cool is that smile.gif

Well anyone who wants one better get a move on , as far as i know everywhere but game has complied with SNK and sent back all games and hardware to SNK who are reselling them in japan , reformating the carts with new games for jap public and stripping the hardware to make new jap NGPC's.
    Hmmm must get sonic and metal slug first mission.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 127 ✭✭Noel Brady

If u are interested, have a gander at..
    http://www.game-ireland.com/news/snkspositionineurope.html

Advertisement