Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Current AMD Processors

Options
  • 03-01-2003 5:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,766 ✭✭✭

A few years ago I tried out an Athlon 1Ghz on a MS6337 board (I think) and had plenty of grief with this combination. I had
    a Geforce 2, 128Mb (133Mhz Rated) memory running on Win98 SE. This was December 2000 at the time. The cpu temperature would run at 40-45 degree celsius Celsius stressed with the system running around the mid 30's. Strange in that Quake 3 would play fine for hours on end while doing something as simple as running winamp or connecting to the net would cause the system to reboot. :) I spent ages trying to figure out whether if was VIA's 4-in-1 drivers, the AGP port settings, the GeForce, dodgy memory or even the power supply (some AMD's like really really steady current). Eventually I eased off and settled for a

Pentium III-800Mhz which thankfully has been stable as hell for the last 2 years (now on Win XP Pro).

I may be getting one of the latest AMD chips soon. A question I have is: What is the fastest AMD chip available is currently and what boards do ye swear by?... those of you who had an AMD that is. I believe that they are fairly robust once they are set up right. But do ye come across any unusual problems? Stability is key. Any recommendations welcome! :p

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,471 ✭✭✭elexes

got myself a cpu processor and ram for just about 300 ( abit kd7 xp2100 and ddr3200 ) installing everything tonight will tell ya how it benchmarks after im finished with her

but i had the same system as urself bar the mobo and it was running fine for me

• Registered Users Posts: 1,766 ✭✭✭hamster

Great! I'll be glad to hear how it goes... :)

well just so ya know installed the board fine cpu fine ram fine(well er... i hate hsf's) so far last night . will be installing the os tonight once i get back from work

everything looking good will have the rest installed tonight as for what ive seen so far the bios looks good from the quick look in it so far ill be disabling the onboard nic and para ports maby the
    6 usb 2 ports will come in handy . so far no probloms

cpu temp is running at 40 aint to bad but im not liking that will change once i get my cooling in er.... pics still to come

• Registered Users Posts: 5,042 ✭✭✭spooky donkey

I have a 1 gig atholn system buaght from gate way and it was as atable as hell and ran very cool though i think it may have been a faster chip under clocked.

I built a 1.33 tBird system with the elite K7s5a and it has been running very smooth for the last year though i have heard of some people having trouvle with that board. It does run hot though 45-50 degrees but its as stable as hell.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

I recently bought a xp1800+(tbred) and have it running stable at xp2000+ speeds at a idel temp of around 35 degrees. Im using a glacialtech fan(xp2100+ apparently) Its a quite fan as well.

Im sure i can get to 2200 speeds easily enough.

BTW im using the abit kd7 RAID mobo, which is a nice mobo for future expansion

• Advertisement

just and nother update i was having slight probloms with that combo basicly cause i went for " the look " hsf wise and got a good looking hsf instead of preformance one . thus it was crap and is causing probloms for me im going to have it replaced today with a different hsf and this should solve my probloms

• Registered Users Posts: 4,317 ✭✭✭CombatCow

bazH iv got a AMD 2000+ xp whitch runs @ 1.67 ghz,I can only overclock mine to 1.75 whitch is pretty lame,did u close the L1 bridges-unlock the multiplier?. I have a Abit kt7a and a kick ass Hsf, temp 30 C idle bout 34-35 under load,so i can push my processor a good bit still and not worry bout heat temps.

COMBATCOW

• Registered Users Posts: 10,304 ✭✭✭✭koneko

The XP2400+ overclocks quite nicely.
    Get a KT400 board with it, multiplier is unlocked then.

dose anyone know a way to overclock the xp 2100 ( becides the fsb ) only way ive heard i can do it is with a hammer ...??!?!:confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,322 ✭✭✭Repli

Originally posted by elexes
    dose anyone know a way to overclock the xp 2100 ( becides the fsb ) only way ive heard i can do it is with a hammer ...??!?!:confused:
    The XP chips are much harder to unlock than the old athlons, to unlock the multiplier, you have to connect the L1 bridges and and fill a little hole thats between 2 bridges too afaik.. don' t touch it with a hammer m8 ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,317 ✭✭✭CombatCow

Tomshardware have a excellent video and guide on how to unlock the multiplier : http://www6.tomshardware.com/column/20011124/

http://www.tomshardware.com/howto/20011112/

I dunno weather to try it or not just incase i skrew up the chip.:confused:

COMBATCOW

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,719 ✭✭✭Ruaidhri

i have an xp2100+ (just got it a week or two ago) i was always an intel man before this,but AMD's prices!!

it's running on an ASUS A7V8X Motherboard.

Stability is very good,as is speed(i'm runnig it with PC2100 twinmos memory)

i've had NO problems whatsoever,and i've heard that the ASUS board has very good compatibility.

So to answer your question hamster,i would recommend an AMD rig.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,766 ✭✭✭hamster

Yup, definitely will consider it! The difference will help fund towards a good gfx card (many the radeon pro 3700)...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,348 ✭✭✭Ryo Hazuki

The XP chips are much harder to unlock than the old athlons, to unlock the multiplier, you have to connect the L1 bridges and and fill a little hole thats between 2 bridges too afaik.. don' t touch it with a hammer m8

From what ive seen, the actual procedure is not too hard.
    Getting the Right Equipment is the hard-part. "Conductive Ink Pen" where am I gonna get one of them?

Advertisement