Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Win2K roaming users problem

Options
  • 03-01-2003 5:46pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 495 ✭✭

Hi,

I'm trying to install a printer on 20+ win2K machines, and I have done so as admin. However if userx log on to this machine, the printer is not available. I know I don't have to set up the printer for every user on this machine, so what am I doing wrong.

The win2k machines log on to a domain (pri controller is nt4)

any suggestions?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,008 ✭✭✭uch

If you set up a new local port on the machine and point the port at the unc path of the printer ( even if it is itself ), then set up the printer as a local printer on the pc and name it UA_printername and instead of setting up the printer to use LPT1 tell it to use the new port that you have just set up.
    The printer will now seem to be locally installed and available for anybody that logs onto the machine.
    If you do a search for UA (universal access) printers on some technical sites it should give you clearer instructions.

21/25

• Closed Accounts Posts: 495 ✭✭Beëlzebooze

Thanks for that, I'll give it a try

Advertisement