Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Latest names on the "Ireland job" List.

• 04-01-2003 12:41am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭

Among the candidates Hamilton is known to have met are Brian Kerr, Kenny Dalglish, Kevin Moran, Peter Reid, Bryan Robson, John Aldridge and Frank Stapleton.

Brian Kidds name has popped up...and what about "Gun for hire" Phillipe Troussier?

Its not, with respect to Kerr and Dalglish, a list that makes your knees tremble is it? Maybe theres someone from Spain or Italy
    waiting in the wings....;)

Mike.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

Good God are Stapleton and Moran on work experience from FAS or something !!!

I personally think Kerr should be given a run, he has served Ireland well at underage and most of the players have been managed by him at that level.

Dalglish, Robson & Aldridge would be definate no-no's in my book.

Brian Kidd & Phillipe Troussier would be dunno's verging on negative.

What about Gerard Houllier he might be looking for a job soon :)

Gandalf.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,529 ✭✭✭irishgeo

FAI will interview them soon after hamiliton has cut the list down to 5 i think.

kerr gets my vote

• Closed Accounts Posts: 679 ✭✭✭ciano

Among the candidates Hamilton is known to have met are Brian Kerr, Kenny Dalglish, Kevin Moran, Peter Reid, Bryan Robson, John Aldridge and Frank Stapleton.

Frank Stapleton!!?? lol ... if he gets the job I'll eat my hat! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,620 ✭✭✭✭Sand

Moran, Aldridge and Stapleton would be just repeating the mistake made with McCarthy - inexperienced, strictly small time coaches suddenly jumped up to international level. Pure madness.

The others all have their pluses and minuses. Overall I wouldnt be too unhappy with any of them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

Brian "GOD" Kerr is the man for the job always has been ,he knows the players (trained with Roy Keane when Kenae was on the FAI/FAS thing) he would be cheaper that the others.
    He is a born winner ,his teams play winning football.
    His forte is to get 11 crap players playing like a team and working hard for each other. He builds them up excellent motivator.
    The thougts of him having the mix of graft and skill that the Irish team "could "have.

Alas all of the above means that in the FAI version o the real world he wont get the job.

kdjac

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,818 ✭✭✭Bateman

I think it depends on whether the FAI (and grandmaster Hamilton) think they can qualify for 2004 or not. If they do, then Kerr has to be the man for the job, because with any of the other candidates, you are talking about a readjustment period that would mean 2006 qualifiers as being the real business.

Kerr has to get the nod, for our only hope of a "quick fix", and two away wins in the summer and any chance of qualification for Portugal. Its a cliche to say that he knows the players, but its true.

The only drawback is that if Kerr were to be given the job, it would probably have been before now. I don't think the FAI have the bollocks to be as daring as to appoint him. It would be considered an obvious short term gamble, but I'd be sceptical as to whether or not the FAI realise what they have.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 j. p harristarr

i'm not too convinced with Kerr. i think he works too closely with the fai already and i don't think he would implement all of the genesis recommendations. i know that the chief executive is responsible at the end of the day but who ever the manager turns out to be would have a say too. they need to get someone who has never worked with the fai ever.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,335 ✭✭✭smackbunnybaby

i can't believe it when names like this are mentioned.are we(ireland) always going to be so unadventurous. here we are with the makings of a world class team. but we insist on second best.utter nonense.
    excellent managers aren't given to you,you have to pay for them.and we are not willing to do this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,438 ✭✭✭TwoShedsJackson

The fact that Frank Stapleton has even been interviewed or considered for a nanosecond indicated the FAI's level of ambition :rolleyes:

Originally posted by j. p harristarr
    i'm not too convinced with Kerr. i think he works too closely with the fai already and i don't think he would implement all of the genesis recommendations. i know that the chief executive is responsible at the end of the day but who ever the manager turns out to be would have a say too. they need to get someone who has never worked with the fai ever.

Have you any idea what Kerr was like in relation to the FAI before he got that job, some people felt he got to shut him up. He ridiculed them on a weekly basis and was very outspoken in how he felt the FAI were running Irish soccer.

kdjac

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 406 ✭✭the66electric

Kerr. Kerr. Kerr. Kerr.

Anyone who can't see how good this is for the Irish team doesn't know football.

i don't think he would implement all of the genesis recommendations

Qualifying for 2008 is what the team manager should be worried about, not the Genesis report. Thats the job of the FAI executive committee.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,472 ✭✭✭Sposs

i would have to go for Kenny Dalglish , he's the most successful and high profile of the rest,whats the worst he can do? Maybe with Kerr as his assistant?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,064 ✭✭✭BKtje

Persoanlly id like a highish profile manager (as high as fai can afford <sigh>). Then Kerr as his assistant witha view to takeover after x amount of years :)

Kerr would be wasted as an assistant. He has not been an assistant for a very long time and would not enjoy being Dalglish's lapdog. His curent youth role is probably more important than the assistant manager at senior level, who is bascially for all intents and purposes the manager's buddy.

Besides, apart from buying Blackburn the Premiership title (also down to a monumental United fúckup), he hasn't really been all that successful.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,438 ✭✭✭TwoShedsJackson

Of course when someone other than Man U win the title, they 'bought' it whereas United are of course merely purchasing players to get them off the streets :rolleyes:

Listen, I'm not a United supporter, I quite dislike them in fact and like singing offensive songs about them..

But the fact remains that they are a remarkably consistent team over the past 1o years or so, whereas Blackburn were a flash in the pan, buoyed by the fantasy football money of the late Jack Walker. Dalglish failed to assemble a team that could compete on a long term basis. Thats what I refer to.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,832 ✭✭✭Waylander

I agree that he bought the title with Blackburn, but was he not the Liverpool manager when they did the double in '86, and he definitely won a couple of League championships as Liverpool manager. Credit where it is due!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,064 ✭✭✭BKtje

True he would be a lap dog for a few years but he would learn a lot and then he'd be more capable of taking over the full squad.

Atm i dont think he has enough experience at top level but i really respect what he's achieved at youth level. I believe with a little experience he'd be a great coach in the future.

if we had any ambition whatsoever martin O'neill would be pursued like bloodhounds pursue a fox. the only catch of tempting a manager of O'neills calibre would be the fact that he wouldnt give up working with the players on an every day basis.
    plus him and keane are great pals

another interesting thought i had. Harry redknapp. a truly football besotted man who would be well able to control keane as he did di-canio. made a great attacking side out of west ham.

what i say might not be the law but there is merit in it.

of course the oul mickey mouse fai have rubbish lined up. f;uck the football so long as theres enough left over to line our own pockets is their attitude. a pack of w@nkers.

• Advertisement

Kerr won 2 league titles with St Pats.(and shafted by a fluke 30 yard Sheridan goal in FAI cup final :D )

He has more than enough credentials to be the irish manager.

No point tho as like us all i have no fukkin clue who the FAI will pick and i bet they dont either.

kdjac

>True he would be a lap dog for a few years

And I don't think he'd like that. Quite apart from the fact that the new manager always names his own no2, you won't get a decent manager by dictating to him who his no2 is going to be. Its either risk it on Kerr, or go for someone else and give up on 2004. That would annoy me. I have a feeling that they have their man now though, and I don't think its Kerr.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 209 ✭✭Johnny Gomez

I hope the FAI decide soon coz I'm tired of arguing with my mates whos the best man for the job. Or else I'll write to the FAI putting my name forward.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,164 ✭✭✭Space Coyote

If Frank "Niall Quinn's a bleedin spatula" Stapleton is in the running then God help us. If any of us lot applied for the job we'd get a polite PFO letter in the post !
    And if the FAI are thinking about Frank, then Mick McCarthy's probably had an interview aswell !!!

:confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,472 ✭✭✭Sposs

Frank Stapleton and Kevin Moran are supposedly the two front runners,what the fuc_k is with dat? if either if them ahead of Daglish and kerr get it we can defo way goodbye to Portugal and prob Germany aswell :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,894 ✭✭✭Mr. Fancypants

Yesterdays Herald was going through what they thought was the shortlist. They mentioned that it would be a Kerr & Chris Hughton pairing or a Kevin Moran & Brian Kidd pairing. The Kerr/Hughton pairing sounds very interesting indeed, dont think anyone could really argue against that being favorite.

There was a big interview with Troussier in one of the papers over the weekend. Came across very well in my opinion, but i would be surprised if the Fai went down that road. To be honest, once Stapleton or Kevin Moran doesnt get the job i will be reasonably happy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 857 ✭✭✭kamobe

Peter Reid seemed fairly confident there, claiming Niall Quinn will be his assistant. The fact that Quinn is there could fairly easily sway the FAI...

I guess we'll just have to wait until the end of the month, when the FAI make their decision. They still haven't ruled out choosing someone OUTSIDE of Hamilton’s list btw.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24 Chippy Brady

I think the best option at the moment seems to be Brian Kerr. The younger players respect him and so do the FAI. Even though I wouldn't want Kevin Moran as manager, I still think he could have role to play in the FAI because he is a football man with a business brain. The current crop in the FAI don't have a clue about professional football, only how to make a quick buck. At least with Moran, you have a guy who knows about the professional set-up in the game and who has a very astute business brain and could be helpfull for the commercial side of things similar to Adam Crozier. The only reason Crozier lost his job is that he made alot of money for the FA and he was forced to resign because of a few greedy chairman who were jealous. If Moran could do the same as Crozier, this would mean more money, which would mean better facilities for the players.

Advertisement