Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Metal on the Radio/TV

Options
  • 04-01-2003 2:54am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 8,264 ✭✭✭

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 973 ✭✭✭ThrAx

If u have Sky Digital, theres Kerrang! and MTV2 and that other crap punk rock channel that I can't remember the name of. If u don't have Sky Digital there isn't much else.

• Registered Users Posts: 973 ✭✭✭ThrAx

Afaik there isn't much .

They play metal on phantom fm though. I havn't heard that station much though. Look in the community/free radio section of boards.ie phantom fm have a board there.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 6,524 Mod ✭✭✭✭dregin

Mary-Anne Hobbs does "The Rock Show" every Tuesday night on BBC radio1 at 12.Lots of stuff on there and she has uite a few guests and sumtimes live stuff too.
    Was flickin around one day and landed on TG4 to witness what looked like a grindcore band singing in Irish.unique if anything.
    John Kenny's metal show on 2FM was always good although i never had a clue who any of the bands were :).....he had a weird obsession wit a black metal band from Drogheda..mmmm.
    anyway getting away from the point.All digital channels will suck if you watch them for more than 15 minutes at a time.that new one P-rock played f*ckin distillers first time i watched it (BRODY IS SEX)but then they start repeating all the boll0cks so u hav to sit around for ages weeding out the sh!te to actully get anything decent out of it.

bye
    dregin

• Registered Users Posts: 767 ✭✭✭nesthead

all kerrang is good for is to see crap played regularly. if you turned it on right now and watched for half an hour you would undoubtably see a Tenatious D, linkin park, sum 41 or one on the flavours of the month, queens of the stone age, audioslave, avril lavigne, that "united states of whatever" song or that "danger danger high voltage" song.

the metal show on phantom is every thursday night from 9.00 i think, and is very good cause he doesnt play a lot of the sh1te that gets requested.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,900 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

Bring back the old MTV Europe I say, Headbangers Ball & Into The Pit were great shows on sunday nights, on their playlist regularly were Sepultura, Slayer, Entombed, Ministry, Alice In Chains, Kreator, My Dying Bride etc including regular tours around Europe showing many live performances..

Those were the days.......

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 12,739 Mod ✭✭✭✭cournioni

I agree Gonzo... those days kicked ass. Headbangers ball got me to know bands like Pantera and Slayer. God knows what else is out there that I'm missing.

Another good show which was only shut down there about a year ago was Tommy Vance's Friday Rock Show on VH1. That used to kick some serious ass too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,880 ✭✭✭nosmo

About 2/3 years ago, MTV showed something called SuperRock at midnight on Mondays.. mostly the same nu-metallers every week, but occasionally they had Entombed, Soundgarden and Strapping Young Lad.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,900 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

Yer the Friday Rock Show was excellent on VH1 and was our last strand of decent metal available to us but unfortunatly that went a year ago and I cant see why they couldnt have got a replacement presenter tho Tommy really know his stuff just like Vennesa Warick, VJ of Headbangers Ball.

The only way that I can get decent music videos now both old and new (I aint talking about the tame/popular stuff u see on MTV2/Kerrang) is too simply download them using Kazaa. There about 35-50mb each but its the only way now. Recently ive got videos by Entombed, Sepultura, Cannibal Corpse, Aphex Twin, KMFDM, Dimmiu Borgir, Immortal and Skrape. Unfortunately wiv ISDN its a slow process:( better than nowt tho.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,136 ✭✭✭Pugsley

What I do now for decent music now mainly is get some guys on IRC who like metal to start trading some music about using DCC, I got 3albums from nightwish that way, the reroute to remain album, and every Pantera song I have. Its also a good way to spread music that you like, Iv handed out the Colony album 3 times over IRC :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 38 eric_the_head

There is only one metal show on the radio. Phantom's metal show on a thursday night. He plays plenty of good old school thrash and has an half hour of irish metal. Not bad at all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

For a start, p-rock don't play metal. They play punk and a teeeeny amount of hiphop. Also, there's not that many punk videos around compared to mainstream stuff, that's why so much is repeated.

Kerrang...don't waste your time. Just like the magazine, it's a glorified Smash Hits (who also have their own channel!).

MTV2 used to be good about 2 years ago, now its pretty crap and repetitive but at least that gob****e Claire Sturgess isn't on anymore *yes!*

Definitely listen to the metal show on Phantom, it rocks muchly, and if you can, listen to Total Rock on 871 on Sky digital.

If you don't have Sky digital, GET IT! :)

I don't think I can get Phantom up here. Whats its frequency for the Cavan/Monaghan area or is there one?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

Originally posted by Gonzo
    Recently ive got videos by Entombed, Sepultura, Cannibal Corpse, Aphex Twin, KMFDM, Dimmiu Borgir, Immortal and Skrape. Unfortunately wiv ISDN its a slow process:( better than nowt tho.

What Immortal and Dimmu vids you got?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 235 ✭✭domeara01

NOTHIN IN IRELAND AND ENGLAND FOR THAT KINDA TASTE

• Registered Users Posts: 8,070 ✭✭✭Placebo

There is no good channels in this country , i dont know about usa either , Kerrang are full of crap , (there showing nancy boy now though) . Mtv2 used to be good , They are both very repetitive , they dont regularylu show any old song , by old i mean back in 1996 , 1997 or whatever , eg your fav bands song from their first album etc .

Originally posted by AngelWhore
    What Immortal and Dimmu vids you got?
    I've got two Dimmu Borgir vids... Spellbound (Live at Dynamo with a pretty darn good solo at the end), and Mourning Palace.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 b0bmast3r

If you want all the latest in rock and metal in the uk and ireland, there's a radiostation called totalrock, it has shows to suit all your metallers of today...you can listen online at www.totalrock.com (good site, great chat room look for me, b0b or b0bmast3r, asketh for me and im sure someone will point you to te light) sky channel 885, nTL digital channel mmm something, and if your in london there on 87.5 fm.
    Great station for all rock and metal, with the best breakfast show going, check out julz and daves breakfarce show, 7-9am weekdays, tell em b0b in donegal sent, more chance of gettin your requests played that way, lol totalrock radio online

Im a hermit living in a hole.
    b0b

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

for metal music vids check out
    #metal_Videos on dalnet , it's a pretty big chan

I have over 140 metal videos on my computer at the moment. All great songs, I can't complain about any of them.

By the way AngelWhore... I have the following videos that might interest you...
    Dimmu Borgir - Puritania
    Dimmu Borgir - Spellbound
    Dimmu Borgir - Mourning Palace
    Immortal - Grim Frostbitten Kingdoms
    Immortal - Blashyrkh (Mighty Ravendark)
    Emperor - The Loss And Curse Of Reverence

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

What's Puritania like? Is it the live one?
    I've got all the others myself tho.

• Advertisement

Originally posted by AngelWhore
    What's Puritania like? Is it the live one?
    I've got all the others myself tho.
    It's filmed live at Dynamo. But I think they use the music from the album, not the live song. I think its very good.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 351 ✭✭Darkillion

isnt that much

Kerrang (454) - Ypu might get a good vid now and again (Black Hole Sun [Soundgarden]) was on a week ago

MTV2 (445) - not as good as it used to be, still get a few good vids and Pearl Jam and Alice In Chains unplugged were both on on the weekend

P-Rock (461) - Hate it, never ne thing good on. for the punkers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 50 ✭✭the snitch

years ago and i mean years ago........RTE used throw on alice in chains and metallica and faith no more and nirvana and stuff on the den. on sundays you were guaranteed more of the same on the beat box with ian dempsey.........

• Closed Accounts Posts: 351 ✭✭Darkillion

thats pretty cool

Advertisement