Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

bloody hsf

Options
  • 04-01-2003 8:48am
    Registered Users Posts: 4,471 ✭✭✭

right well after 15 mins r so last night i was getting very fustrated with one i just couldnt believe how hard it was to actually get on the computer using both hands and my brother i finay got one on . im just wondering dose anyone have a trick for getting them on r anything . and how many ppl have crushed there cores doing this ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

They're so blhard to put on because they need to be. Heatsinks are quit heavy nowadays and because they're almost always mounted onto a vertical board - and are therefor hanging off the side of it - they need to be on quite tight to maintain close contact with the boards.
    it's not like the manufacturers expect people to be changing them every few days :)
    more of a once-twice in the lifetime of the machine.
    a lever similar to that on the old ZIF socket sevens would be appreciated by most people though i'd say, but could introduce yet another point of pailure into the machines.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 752 ✭✭✭Lorax

i normally use a flathead screw driver to force it on becaus its nearly impossible to do with your bare hands

• Registered Users Posts: 4,471 ✭✭✭elexes

Originally posted by Lorax
    i normally use a flathead screw driver to force it on becaus its nearly impossible to do with your bare hands

i could never think of using my hands like ... er ... sore like

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,264 ✭✭✭RicardoSmith

Some of them are a nightmare. I was always sweating bullets when installing them on AMD cpus. Never cracked a core or damaged a motherboard though I had a few close calls. The P4 HS attachment is so easy in comnparision, no risk at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,348 ✭✭✭Ryo Hazuki

The AMD website has videos detailing everything about Processor install, if your ever in doubt you should have a look.

www.amd.com

Its quite possible and easy to crack the top of the processor if you dont do it right, keep the hs parallel with the socket at all times to avoid this.

Anyone who uses there hands to attach the clip is making it more difficult, just use a flat head screwdriver

• Advertisement

Originally posted by Ryo Hazuki

Its quite possible and easy to crack the top of the processor if you dont do it right, keep the hs parallel with the socket at all times to avoid this.

yep done that in the pas tho only with athlon axia processors not with the xp ones

taking my cpu fan off tonight due to it not being good enough :( ffs

• Registered Users Posts: 4,432 ✭✭✭Gerry

Coolermaster are particularly guilty. Nobody should be using a 1 tab clip these days, its stupid to put all that strain on the 2 socket tabs. With a bit of effort, its possible to make a decent 3 tab clip which goes on without taking off the cpu fan.

Sometimes I had to swap the same HSF from one machine to another and on one motherboard the HSF goes on easy and on the next one its a nightmare. So theres obviously some difference in the tolerances between boards. My AMD terminator needed me to use both hands on the screwdriver to get the hsf to clip on the socket. There was barely enough clearance between the tab and the motherboard for the clip to fit. It was absolute beast to get off too. I had to use so much pressure I though I was going to crack the motherboard! Is soooo much easier with the intel P4 way of doing it. I hope AMD redesign they way do it soon.

Mainly aimed at gerry and those that know a good bit about the heatsick and fans

Just had a thought if i was to take off the fan from the heatsink ( of the new hsf )and take off the old fan and replace it could that solve my problom in this case ? well its a long shot ... might just have to not b lazy and take of the heatsink totaly but whichever way it happens im not to bothered as long as the heat stays away for a good bit

i know i did this b4 but i was replacing the old fan with one that came from a tv and it kept the temp down

It could do. Basically try it and monitor the temps before and after and see if it improves or not. The design of the HS does play a large part in how efficient it is though. At one stage I even tried two fans on the same HS, didn't really improve things too much though. Best thing is to read up lots of reviews and jsut buy one thats recommended. Personally my aim these days is silence not performance when I'm looking for a HSF.

• Advertisement
Advertisement