Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

swamp

Options
  • 04-01-2003 11:42am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,741 ✭✭✭

any cures for this? my back garden just fills with water. I live in an estate (2 years old). I tried using a pitchfork to create holes and then filled them with sand, but it made no difference.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,198 ✭✭✭shabbyroad

Had the same problem. This is caused by a combination of lots of builders rubbish buried a few feet under ground as wel as generally poor soil drainage.
    Putting sand in the soil probably didn't help much.

One way to fix it is to dig a T shaped trench about 1 meter deep and half-meter wide (depending upon the size of your garden of course) - keep the top few inches of turf so you can re-lay it.
    Put gravel in there - not fine sandlike gravel but nice pebble sized gravel. Then top with a layer of good topsoil and re-lay the turf you kept from earlier.

We moved into our place about 2.5 years ago and had a lot of additional building work done so the back garden was like the surface of the moon. After the lawn had been laid we had to get the trench and drainage done. Took about a year for the lawn to knit together again but with the endless rain we've had these past two years it hasn't had a chance to drain properly - right pain in the arse.

Hope that helps.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,741 ✭✭✭yankinlk

cheers! that sounds doable. Another project for springtime.

Advertisement