Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pssst! Anyone wanna buy an Eidos, going cheap?

Options
  • 20-06-2000 1:01pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6,275 ✭✭✭

Anyone have £500,000,000 spare to buy Eidos? G'wan, you know you want to. They're up sh1t creek financially, more than partially due to all the cash they sank into getting Direkatana finished up - that games losses may total £20,000,000.

Two people DO have 500 mil to stump up for eidos - Infogrames for one, currently the borg of the games industry, buying up studios and publishers, chopping off all the talented bits, and getting them to churn out endless terrible license games.

The other company sniffing around Eidos is Microsoft... More out of interest in Core Design than in Eidos, I suspect. Developer support for the X-Box is going through the ceiling at the moment - I notice a number of studios have gone so far as to announce that they're dropping PS2 support in favour of X-Box, rather than running them together. MS would appear to be creating a Nintendo-style system where they have not only third-party developers, but also "second-party" developers, like the Ninty Dream Team of Rare et al. MS's second parties look like being Bungie, Midway and Eidos.

MS have also been sniffing around Epic Megagames, but it looks like they'll go to Infogrames instead.

Ja,
    Rob

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,438 ✭✭✭TwoShedsJackson

Eidos are w@nkers, their name is eternally cursed for closing Looking Glass, as far as I'm concerned.

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Eidos are big ****in ****ers , they **** off
    at that silicon ***** Lara , then they give free ******** to little **** and then they do it all over again.

Looking Glass were the most inventful and talented bunch in the scene and now they're dead....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭Canaboid

Inventive ? Eventful ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,275 ✭✭✭Shinji

Guys, Eidos didn't close Looking Glass. They just didn't buy them, which forced Looking Glass to close.

The deal was pretty much done - Looking Glass employees literally went into the final meeting expecting to be told that Eidos had bought them. Eidos pulled out at the last minute, which made a lot of Looking Glass folks angry, because they saw it as Eidos simply pulling support.

We now know why they did it; Eidos are broke, and made appalling losses last year of over 40 million, quite a bit of which is attributable to Daikatana. They simply couldn't afford to buy Looking Glass, and now they themselves are up for sale, because thats the only way to climb out of their financial pit.

They have some damn good titles in the works mind; Deus Ex is truly superb, for a start... So they're a good investment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 114 ✭✭Nitro-G

Looks like Laras t!ts couldn't hold Eidos up now, heh

Jamie www.irishplayer.com

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 127 ✭✭Noel Brady

The one thing Eidos need is a calendar. They have always messed up the release dates of their games.

Releasing two of their biggest titles on the same day earlier this year (Fear Effect and Urban Chaos)was one of the stupidest things I ever saw. They then wonder why both sold poorly.

I'd say they were looking to Tom Raider: Last Revelation DC to try and get them out of a rut but it was a complete disaster selling less than 10,000 copies.

They do publish some cracking games though and it's a pity to see them go down the proverbial toilet.

Noel Brady www.game-ireland.com

Last Revelation was good. Dreamcast owners just didn't want a straight conversion of a 32-bit title.

The same was the case with Capcom's DC version of RE 2.

Eidos have also had some other pretty good titles out lately like Fear Effect and they have some corkers like Commandos 2 and Deus Ex on the way.

Like mentioned above, Daikatana didn't help either.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭WhiteWashMan

actually, i think last revelation was pretty darn good.
    but then again, i like the old 3rd person adventure type games. outcast and indiana jones being a couple of others. guess it just like people liking RTs's or fps's or any other tla they like smile.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,275 ✭✭✭Shinji

Of course, speaking of the Last Revelation, this possible MS buyout would mean that while Lara was the poster child of the Playstation, the PS2 will be Lara-less. So who will be the PS2 pinup of choice? Sonys development has failed to create immediately identifiable characters like Mario, Link, Donkey Kong and Pikachu on Nintendo platforms, or Sonic on Sega platforms. Crash Bandicoot and Spiro The Dragon were attempts to create recognisable PS2 characters, but failed, with only Lara being able to carry the banner.

For the PS2, how about Solid Snake? Gaming is growing up, perhaps its icons should grow up with it?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭bugs

Probably not. He probably wouldn't be considered role model material , what with going around killing ppl.
    Oh , and for some reason , they've given him a mullet now , why ?

• Advertisement

I don't think the need for a mascot is that great anymore.

Since Sonic Team have split from Sega, there is even talk that future Sonic games could be released on all platforms.

The same could be happening with Ecco. Speaking of which the new Dreamcast game is as dull as dishwater yet its graphics make the current crop of PS2 titles look like Mega Drive titles. Still, its gameplay that matters.

God damn Ecco was one helluva boring game. I remember renting it years ago on the megadrive and sitting there mumbling 'wtf?'
    Painful , boring , the only person i know who ever cleared it had bought it and felt obliged to complete it after spending so much on it ( when you're 13 , games are fu<king expensive ) , he tried giving it back , but ' this game is sh1t ' doesnt usually swing ppl in shops.
    Probably does look better than the ps2 titles , but then , they're only first generation games!

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

I find games like Ecco, Sonic and Tomb Raider boring as hell - there's no action straight away which is an instant turn-off for a mainly FPS player like me. As far as I can see, all the Sonci's are the same as are all the Eccos - they may have made them 3d now, but it's still the same old.
    As for Tomb Raider?
    Run around for an hour. Shoot the bat. Run around for another hour. Push the stone.
    ZzZzZzZz...

All the best,

Dav
    @B^)
    My page of stuff

Nice one, i thought sonic 1 was alright , but the rest were , errrr , sonic 1 as well!
    Ecco wasn't even a good idea , i donn't find anything amusing about playing a dolphin, and the amount of ppl that couldnt figure out how to get out of the lagoon at the very beginning of the game was silly. It had to be printed it just about every magazine , mega games back then had a full page thing for it ( or was it already CVG then , i cant remember )

Tomb raider is a stain on gods green earth , further pushing back the boundaries and ensuring that anyone who doesnt play games thinks of us who do as spotty , midgets with one hand on the pad and the other down our trousers dreaming of sticking between lara's polygon **** .
    Its simply the most boring game i have played in a long time. You wander places that are all dull, shoot some dog , wander for another hour , shoot a bird , waste all your ammo in doing so , wander and either drown in some water when you can't figure out which way is up or get ripped apart by tigers.
    Just on a side point , i think it has the worst control system ever developed for a video game, takes the b1tch all day to burn around , her sidesteps look like she had a banana shoved up sideways and is reeling from the pain, it takes forever to line up a jump and by the time you've lined it up , i'll have turned off your machine and hit you.

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Sure Eidos have Republic , Praetorians , Commandos 2 , Hitman , Legacy Of Kain 2 , Staropia , Project IGI , Deus Ex , Sudden Strike , Anachronox , Championship Manager 4 and Project Eden in the pipe , I'd say they'll pull through.
    Have faith !
    Some classic looking titles in there.

It's about a society in freefall....

Advertisement