Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Win XP Home Control Panel issues...

• 04-01-2003 3:45pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,569 ✭✭✭

Hi,

Something has gone wrong on my PC. It won't open any .cpl files. I can't access them from within control panel (I double click, the mouse pointer turns busy for a sec and then...nothing), and the same thing happens if I try to open them from a command prompt (e.g. "c:\Windows\system32>control appwiz.cpl") or by double clicking on them from the WINDOWS\system32 folder.

.CPL files are registered to open with "Windows Shell Common Dll" (shell32.dll)

Anyone know how to fix this, while I start moving files off my root partition and set myself up for a weekend of reformatting and reinstalling?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,144 ✭✭✭Runfree

Try classic view???

Right click on the start bar and then click properties.

Might work.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,569 ✭✭✭maxheadroom

Its alrerady in calssic view. The problem is that windows won't open ANY control panels (like, right clicking on the desktop and clicking on properties does nothing, right click on my computer and pressing properties does nothing, etc)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,569 ✭✭✭maxheadroom

Got some help over on the pcadvisor forum - in the end, all it needed was system file checker

c:\>sfc /scannow

Advertisement