Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Swearing/ cursing/ in metal

Options
  • 04-01-2003 10:42pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭

ok it has gotten to the stage that is is wercking my head completly.

Yeah so what i have two kids under the age of 5 but there are so many songs out there that rock but that i just can play with lil ears arround.

I know that a lot of songs used to be sanitised for radio play and stuff but there are precious few albums that i can play with out having to skip tracks.

It is getting hards to teach them what is good music with out them swaering like Axl Rose at thier teachers.

IS it really all that nesscary?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 973 ✭✭✭ThrAx

I think cursing and swearing is a major part of heavy metal and rock music to an extent. Metal is a very rebellious genre of music and swearing comes with rebeliousness. Swearing also helps to get points across and to get yourself heard. Whether we like it or not, swearing is a part of modern language; yet swearing is still censored in the mass media.

There are some heavy metal bands that use very little swearing in their material; the ones that I can think of are quite shit. Linkin Park make it their policy never to swear in any of their songs, or rather their record company make it Linkin Parks policy never to swear in any of their songs.

Swearing has been seen as cool and rebellious since the early years of alternative rock music and has become an integral and defining part of rock/metal today.

• Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 12,739 Mod ✭✭✭✭cournioni

Originally posted by ThrAx
    I think cursing and swearing is a major part of heavy metal and rock music to an extent. Metal is a very rebellious genre of music and swearing comes with rebeliousness. Swearing also helps to get points across and to get yourself heard. Whether we like it or not, swearing is a part of modern language; yet swearing is still censored in the mass media.

There are some heavy metal bands that use very little swearing in their material; the ones that I can think of are quite shit. Linkin Park make it their policy never to swear in any of their songs, or rather their record company make it Linkin Parks policy never to swear in any of their songs.

Swearing has been seen as cool and rebellious since the early years of alternative rock music and has become an integral and defining part of rock/metal today.
    What he said...

Rrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr Fúcking Hostile!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,136 ✭✭✭Pugsley

Only the more popular bands swear like buggers, In Flames, Dark Tranquility, Iced Earth, Blind Guardian, Nightwish and just about every other band I listen never swear in ANY of their songs.
    However if you look at the more mainstream bands swearing is pretty rampant

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

Can't say I've ever heard the likes of Emperor swearing.

I think it's mainly the domain of people trying to put farward a tough-guy image.
    But with that said, I remember Vinny Cavanagh swearing.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,148 ✭✭✭✭Lemming

I don't agree that swearing is a "staple" of Metal or Rock.

Certainly it does exist, but I'm sitting here listening to stuff and I can think of very few songs that I listen to (rock/metal wise anyway) that have masses of swearing in them.

Gn'R, Metallica (note: live, Hetfield swears like its on sale for 19.99 - but live performances rarely include little kids), Zeppelin, Chilli Peppers, the Offspring, AC/DC, Iron Maiden, Hendrix, Thin Lizzy, etc, etc.

I think swearing (outside of the occasional word in one song in an album) is one of two things:

a). What AngelWhore said about people trying to put forward a "tough-guy" image.

b). People trying to be controversial. eg. "mommy mommy ... the man in the funny pig-mask on mtv said a naughty word!! He must be so cool"

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Swearing is'nt big or funny, nor is it new. The Who were inquiring
    "Who the f>ck are you?" in 1978 and no doubt recorded four letter words go back further..were Derek and Clive metal, or just mental? :)

I think when it cocures in bands repeatedly, its a sure sign of an act who are for the most part crap, seeking to appeal to 12 year olds.

Mike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,155 ✭✭✭ykt0di9url7bc3

Well maybe "fcuk" has lost all power

As mike said many people use the word to appeal to the rebelious younger generation

but does that cover Tenacious D or any other band using adult humour?

as for swearing in metal...what thrax and Pugsley said :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

I guess i will just have burn my self up some child friendly Metal cds .

Have to combat all that s club 7 and hip hop crap .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Just play em Led Zep 1 and that'll convert them!
    Do they know there's music from before Slipknot and the Spice Girls?

Hang-on, you say your children are not yet 5? hmmm it'll have to be Status Quo then! :D

Mike.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,561 Mod ✭✭✭✭Robbo

I can't say that many of my rock albums contain *any* gratuitous swearing at all, it all tends to be minimal if at all. However, I did listen to some pretty awful metal when I was younger and that was full of the stuff. It was usually with the less articulate (lets just call a spade a spade and call them idiots), less succint songwriter, usually coupled with a tenuous grasp of the English language (stand up Max Cavalera).

It's something you should get over with age.

• Advertisement

Originally posted by Thaed
    I guess i will just have burn my self up some child friendly Metal cds .

Have to combat all that s club 7 and hip hop crap .
    Get two birds with one stone and get some power metal CDs (Nightwish and the like) where theres no swearing (99% of the time, very few power metal bands swear) and the singing is good so even 5year olds could enjoy it :)
    (Nightwish is a strong recommendation, especcially if you kids like opera singing ;))

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 killer rabbits

ah! the swearing rarely anoys me!

I'd agree with Robbo there for some of what he said. I find the more inept the songwriter, the more swearing. I mean, every second word with Slipknot is **** this and mother****er that. But I really can't think of that much of what I actually listen to that contains anywhere near the levels of profanity of the more kid-orientated bands out there. And I've probably got some of the most Extreme Metal in existance.

Also, another point on the songwriting aspect. Mayhem circa 1986 came out with songs like 'Chainsaw Guts****' and 'Pure ****ing Armaggedon' whereas Mayhem circa 1997 came out with 'Fall Of Seraphs' and 'I Am Thy Labyrinth'. A discernable progression in songwritting = less swearing? As they say, the writing's on the wall. Judge for yourself.

Now, I'd say Pugsley is quite right. Power Metal! I'd say Nightwish is definetly very child-friendly. Get some culture and all, they covered Andrew Lloyd-Webber. :D So how can you say no to that?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 272 ✭✭kingconor

Swearing is fine, in moderation, personally, I admire people that can write a song without having to bring it down to the lowest common denominator!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭PiE

Ah yea but sometimes you need some damn aggression in the songs that just can't be put eloquently.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,561 Mod ✭✭✭✭Robbo

Ah yea but sometimes you need some damn aggression in the songs that just can't be put eloquently.

The English language is there for a reason. It's rarely "agression" and mostly a general ineptness with conversation English.

Next please.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 658 ✭✭✭xx

Pantera without swearing = sex without orgasm.
    "You're making me flipping hostile"..........just doesn't have the same ring to it!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,309 ✭✭✭✭Bard

... so... what 'child friendly' Nightwish album would you recommend, AngelWhore?

Kinslayer would be my fave nightwish album, but any of them really :) (they dont swear in ANY of their songs)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

you'd give children an album entitled "kinslayer"? :D

make em listen to blind guardian :)

if they like tlotr they should check out the album "Nightfall in middle earth" it's a theme album, based on the silmarillion.. great stuff. and no swearing :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,070 ✭✭✭Placebo

Lostprophets dont have any bad language in their lyrics ........

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

/me slaps placebo

• Registered Users Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭PiE

Originally posted by Robbo
    The English language is there for a reason. It's rarely "agression" and mostly a general ineptness with conversation English.

Next please.

Last time I checked, swear-words were part of our fucking language.

Pardon my French.

Originally posted by Mordeth
    you'd give children an album entitled "kinslayer"? :D

make em listen to blind guardian :)

if they like tlotr they should check out the album "Nightfall in middle earth" it's a theme album, based on the silmarillion.. great stuff. and no swearing :)
    They wouldnt know what kinslayer means at their age, but blind guardian are a good choice aswell :)

Originally posted by Pugsley
    Kinslayer would be my fave nightwish album, but any of them really :) (they dont swear in ANY of their songs)

Er, there is no album called Kinslayer.
    There is a song on the Wishmaster album called kinslayer though.

I'd say that's a pretty good album to start with.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,070 ✭✭✭Placebo

/me slaps placebo

ouch , wacha hit me for ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37 CRONIC ARSE

Originally posted by xx
    Pantera without swearing = sex without orgasm.
    "You're making me flipping hostile"..........just doesn't have the same ring to it!

RRRRrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr FU.CKING HOSTILE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

sex with out the orgasm f...ing good one.:D \m/

Originally posted by AngelWhore
    Er, there is no album called Kinslayer.
    There is a song on the Wishmaster album called kinslayer though.

I always get that one mixed up
    /me kicks self

• Closed Accounts Posts: 178 ✭✭Dalamar

Emperor DO swear in their songs. Occasionly (as in once an ablum or so). In The Loss And Curse Of Reverence (Anthems To The Welkin At Dusk) ; the singer swears once towards the end. That's the only swearing i've hear so far.

• Advertisement

Hmm, you're right, I must have overlooked that.

Advertisement