Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The afro man song?

Options
  • 04-01-2003 10:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,042 ✭✭✭

Just been listening to my mp3`s and heard the "cause i got high" song by "afro man". And i had a thougt.

Is this song encouraging the use of drugs ( Be they legal or not ) or discouraging the use of them. Im not so sure my self so I pose this idea for genral discussion.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,004 ✭✭✭The Gopher

Its encouraging it.Sure,at the end of the song he talks of everything he has lost through drugs but does he sound too distraught?Not at all.
    If you listen to the rest of his songs you realise that he is not anti drug-most of his songs seem to concern the joys of getting high,drunk,laid or all three:)

Of course there would be those who would say that he has no message and that he simply wrote a song entirely about smoking dope that he knew would have instant appeal to 12 year olds who buy singles.So it could be more a matter of personal opinion.......

Some kid in the US caught smoking hash was ordered by a judge to write an essay on whether this song was against or for drug use.Bit of a stupid punishment if you ask me,giving a drug user the task of writing about somebody who constantly advocates drug use.:confused: But then again judges have never been known for displaying intelligence in sentencing.
    Can you imagine that on your criminal record?"John Smith Age 20 Sentened 3rd Januray on drug possesion charge.Sentence-Write 8 pages about an Afroman song.Due to high quality of essay was paroled after 5 pages"

Its not exactly the kind of thing you boast about if your sent to jail later in life in order to enhance your hard man image:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,299 ✭✭✭oeNeo

Interesting question...

Of course there would be those who would say that he has no message and that he simply wrote a song entirely about smoking dope that he knew would have instant appeal to 12 year olds who buy singles.

I have to agree with that though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,468 ✭✭✭Lex_Diamonds

Originally posted by The Gopher
    If you listen to the rest of his songs you realise that he is not anti drug-most of his songs seem to concern the joys of getting high,drunk,laid or all three:)

Hahahahaha, you bought the album! Go on, admit it! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 836 ✭✭✭Snowball

Originally posted by Lex_Diamonds

lol

• Registered Users Posts: 2,798 ✭✭✭Funky

la dee da ****y ****uy funky oowns

• Advertisement
    • Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

Originally posted by Lex_Diamonds

lol :p

has afroman finished or have 12 year olds seen him for the useless musician* that he is

* i use the term musician very loosely

• Registered Users Posts: 5,042 ✭✭✭spooky donkey

Well i wasent sating that it was a great song and although i origonally thought it was encouragine the use of drugs he does point out all the bad things that can happen from them as well.

I found the song funny the first time i listened to it. But thats the whole thing of it. you can only listen to it onece.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 583 ✭✭✭^CwAzY^

I thought it was a really funny song at the time, and I think anyone who was encouraged to take drugs by listening to the song didn't understand it properly

• Registered Users Posts: 2,287 ✭✭✭thedrowner

i watched the video the other day and had this thought too. i think it would be quite discouraging drugs if it wasnt for the last verse, (yes i know all the words. yes i ahve a brother who was 12 when the song came out ;)) where he says he's gonna stop singing tis song because he's high-so he's still getting high so he obviously isnt that concerned about all the **** things that have happened to him.

goog God though sounds like a well thought out answer....
      i blame school for doing that to me

Advertisement