Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Esat nolimits transfer limit

Options
  • 04-01-2003 11:18pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 681 ✭✭✭

Is there a limit on the amount of data transferred per month on nolimits? I seem to get alright connections at the beginnings of the months and then near the end after i've been doing a lot of downloading it's all ****ed - .1kbps transfer speeds and lots and lots of disconnections.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

Never noticed a problem like that (and I do tend to download quite a bit of stuff)

There's no official limit - I suspect there's no unofficial limit either

(moving to Nets/Comms btw)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,510 ✭✭✭irishgeo

never noticed anything like that.i hope not.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 57 ✭✭Richard Barry

Originally posted by Kopf
    Is there a limit on the amount of data transferred per month on nolimits? I seem to get alright connections at the beginnings of the months and then near the end after i've been doing a lot of downloading it's all ****ed - .1kbps transfer speeds and lots and lots of disconnections.

Try putting AT+ms=11,1 in your modem set-up string or switching to ISDN.

Line problems between your modem and the ESAT POP could be causing the effective transmission speed to degrade. This won't happen with ISDN and is less likely to happen with AT+ms=11,1.

R.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,839 ✭✭✭tech

I have the exact same problem with no limits, I always connect @ 52 but my transfer rate is usually arounf 1.5 maybe 2 .5 at max this is very slow when you are download a 25mb file :(( is there anything I can do to spped this transfer up

• Registered Users Posts: 9,510 ✭✭✭irishgeo

have you using download managers like DAP of Gozilla these download files much quicker and can resume tranfers if you dont want to download a huge file all at one.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 57 ✭✭Richard Barry

Originally posted by tech
    I have the exact same problem with no limits, I always connect @ 52 but my transfer rate is usually arounf 1.5 maybe 2 .5 at max this is very slow when you are download a 25mb file :(( is there anything I can do to spped this transfer up

Same solution

Try putting AT+ms=11,1 in your modem set-up string or switching to ISDN.

Line problems between your modem and the ESAT POP could be causing the effective transmission speed to degrade. This won't happen with ISDN and is less likely to happen with AT+ms=11,1.

If you use Windows 2000 professional Go >Control Panel > Phone and Modem options > Modems Tab > Click on the modem you use for the ISP in question > Properties > Advanced > and put the "AT+ms=11,1" string into your Extra Initialization Commands box. Similar options available for other versions of Windows. This command will not work on all modems.

The alternative is to change your ISP to someone who provides a local access number in your area - ie someone who does not use a 189x number. Or better still get ISDN or DSL or upgrade to an E1 or E3.

The PSTN was not designed to handle internet traffic.

PSTN switching diversions via 189n nnnnnn only make the end to end data transfer rates nOOO% x worse...

Just like Irish road signposts. Better off getting a GPS receiver and an Ordnance Survey map of the country on CD. The CD map might cost you as much as a http://www.porsche.de - but shur it's only money. And the guys in The Park are on to the same racket as the bandwidth bastards at 114 St Stephen's Green West, D2.

R.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 681 ✭✭✭Kopf

yep, seems like that modem string works.

Cheers for the help! dunno for how long i've been tormented by this

• Closed Accounts Posts: 867 ✭✭✭l3rian

just fyi irishgeo, internet explorer can resume too, just right click and "save target as"

Advertisement