Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

From the old to the new

• 05-01-2003 3:34am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 175 ✭✭

After much messing about I (finally) have a new PC. Unfortunately there are a large number of files still on the old one (which is absent any zip or cd-r drives) that I need to move. Time isn't an obstacle here but money is.

I heard somewhere that you could connect the serial (or parallel) ports and transfer the files that way, has anyone done this? Do I need an extra programme to do it?

Or of course if anyone knows a better way to go about transfering files between Windows95 and WinXP Home I'd be very happy to hear from them.

Much thanks

Fade to Credits
    Scipio_major

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

The easiest way is to hook your old Hard Drive into Your new rig(for a short time), take out your old HDD, and put it in your new rig instead of your new rigs Cd Drive (saves jumper hassle)

Boot into winxp and it should see the new drive, from where you can just drop and drag the files.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,011 ✭✭✭uch

You can do a serial to serial connection by installing the direct cable connection in network connections and getting yourself a serial to serial cable, but it would be quicker and easier to do what bazH say's.

21/25

Advertisement