Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dell Inspiron 2650

• 05-01-2003 1:24pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,842 ✭✭✭

I am thinking aboout buying this dell laptop

Spec's are as follows

P4 1.8
    256DDR RMA
    15 XGA SCREEN
    30 GIG HDD
    16X CDRW / DVD
    16MB NVIDIA
    WIN XP

All for €1299 + Vat

Are dell Laptops any good or do they give alot if trouble ??

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 287 ✭✭donaloconnor

Dell = Hell if something goes wrong as dell have all their own special parts of the PC, some PCs you can't even buy standard ram, you have to go and contact dell to buy "Special" memory off them.

I would go with a Acer Laptop honestly and they are cheaper and cooler :cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭Gerry

You can put standard memory in a dell pc, its just a case of getting the right stuff, doesn't have to be off dell.

That laptop looks like a good deal, but is it new or second hand, and if second hand, what warranties etc do you get with it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,842 ✭✭✭tech

its span new I saw it on the Sunday Business Post In the Computers section Might be worth a look

go for it tbh, dammit I'd go for it if I had the cash :)

go for it tbh??? confussed? :((

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,153 ✭✭✭bkehoe

Originally posted by tech
    go for it tbh??? confussed? :((

get it. ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,807 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

it's a laptop so all parts are custom anyway.

If u can try and get an 8200, the 2650 was basically a celeron type system which has just had a p4 put into it, whereas the 8200 was designed with the p4 in mind. Generally a low spec 8200 and high spec 2650 are about the same performance and price, but the 8200 is all around a better machine

Yeah I had a look on dells site, 2650 is only worth buying at 1299, normally its 1400 upwards. It uses pc1600 ddr ram as well, which is a bit of a bottleneck. Also doesn't look the part like 8200 :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,569 ✭✭✭maxheadroom

it is lighter and less "chunky" than the 8200. It is also a newer model than the 8200 - I'm suprised they haven't released the 8250 yet.

The 2650 is a refit of the 2600, but AFAIK it has a different chipset.

If graphics aren't that important, then get a 4550 - nice and light :)

But, to answer the original question, that's a good price for that laptop.

Ill have to do some more research just before I blow €1300 notes on it
    Looks like that there is no IR port on it :(( major fall down on the laptop for me

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭djr

imho, dell are a very good brand of laptop.

P4 1.8
    256DDR RMA
    15 XGA SCREEN
    30 GIG HDD
    16X CDRW / DVD
    16MB NVIDIA
    WIN XP

all that for €1299 + vat? v good deal. screen is xga so it'll only go 1024x768. u need to fork a lot for sxga or uxga. considering it's a ddr system, and has proper graphics, it's good. ir ports are more or less standard on dells (afaik), listing it would be like saying 'power supply included', if you get my drift, put it this way, i've never seen a dell without ir (dating back to 1998/99).

i've been using dell lappies for a while now, build quality is very good and sturdy, which is funny because the don't build them themselves (apparently) ... "...Virtually none of the namebrands manufacture their own laptops. The few notable exceptions are IBM, Acer, Toshiba, Twinhead and Apple..."

it's true that laptop components are generally proprietary, except for the obvious parts like harddisks, ram, cpu etc... this is mostly a design & integration issue (which is understandable)

battery life is very good on dells, i can get about 5 hours out of a pair of 3360mAh batteries, which is nice.

ps i'm not a salesman, it's just that i've used sonys, toshibas & hps before, & dell really outshines them all round.

buy it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 287 ✭✭donaloconnor

Maybe the notebooks arn't all that bad :cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 nggguitar

hey tech

could you please post a link for that laptop please

\I saw it on the Sunday Business Post Computer section there was no Web URL just the add ?? They might be worth a call on it Id say

It seems to be about 1800 euro on dells site, including vat.

Ringing them today to check it out ,Ill keep ye posted

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,182 ✭✭✭ondafly

doh! hate to put a downer on it

I recommend you read a few reviews on Epinions.com before buying the 2650 - its not as clear cut as you would think, and its speed is apparently relative to a P3 1GHZ, due to motherboard speeds. Also the lack of modular bays - means if your DVD drive is bust, u need to send the whole unit back to dell.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,828 ✭✭✭air

which is funny because the don't build them themselves (apparently) ... "...

Sorry to have to point it out but Dell laptops that we buy are
    made in EMF3 in Raheen, Limerick.
    I've seen them bein stuck together meself down there.

• Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭djr

sorry, what i meant to say is that they don't build *all* their own laptops according to that article linked above.

Rang Dell Todat Theres no IR port on these model Laptop :(((

• Advertisement
Advertisement